Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 429

Thread: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

  1. #291
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If a judge can throw out a law because their opinion is that it is no longer relevant, then any law can be thrown out because a judge thinks it is no longer relevant. If any law can be thrown out because a judge thinks it is no longer relevant, the same is true of the Constitution.

    If the Act had been ruled unConstitutional then at least it would've been tossed for reasons it is within the Court's jurisdiction to decide.
    By that logic, any law can be thrown out, because a judge thinks it's unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Proof please ? I mean Liberals Lie, thats a given so I'm going to need you to quantify that statement.

    And I promise, I guarantee I am levels above you in intelligence.

    I'll match brain pans with you or any other of the sub-species that inhabit the failed ideology of Liberalsim any time you want.

    A person who doesn't even posses the fundamental reasoning capabillities to know when theyr'e being manipulated or lied to has no business critiquing my intelligence.

    A person who is so susceptable to plattitudes and talking points, who follows blindly a agenda because they lack the IQ to be objective has no business critiquing my intelligence.

    So next time you feel superior based on absolutely nothing and want to insult another poster directly, how about posting something intelligent to go along with it.

    Instead of a absolutley inaccurate opinion.

    Come on, you can't guarantee that you're more intelligent than I am anymore than I can that I am more intelligent than you, although saying something like "match brain pans" does undermine your argument. Brain pan? Makes it sound like your brain is leaking and the pan is catching the stuff that's leaking. (Actually, I know what the brain pan is, although I'm not sure what the skull or cranium has to do with intelligence. Are you saying you have a harder skull? That wouldn't surprise me.)

    And how do you determine whether it's you or me who is being manipulated? What if you're being manipulated into saying that I'm being manipulated? Do you see the problem with that kind of argument?

    I thought I posted something intelligent. Maybe you can't tell when something is intelligent. You said blacks voted for Obama simply because he was black. How do you know this anyway? Some people would call that a form of bigotry because I've yet to see anyone say that white people voted for Romney because he was white. He got 47% of the vote, but almost 60% of the white vote. I simply pointed out that the vast majority of blacks vote Democratic regardless of the color of the candidate.

  3. #293
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    By that logic, any law can be thrown out, because a judge thinks it's unconstitutional.
    Of course any law can be thrown out on Constitutional grounds, and that's fine. What bothers me is the idea of discarding a law because a judge doesn't think it matters anymore.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #294
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Of course any law can be thrown out on Constitutional grounds, and that's fine. What bothers me is the idea of discarding a law because a judge doesn't think it matters anymore.
    It's nothing but different sides of the same coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #295
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's nothing but different sides of the same coin.
    The two bear no relation. One is tossing a law because a "higher" law contradicts it, one is tossing a law because you don't think it matters anymore.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #296
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    excuse me, i never said anything about you and states here did i?
    I agree, it may seem to have been a derailment. I don't believe it is that much of a stretch from country to state to county to town to person. I like to use similar analogies with the quantum theory. It was late. The issues are emotional.

  7. #297
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Of course any law can be thrown out on Constitutional grounds, and that's fine. What bothers me is the idea of discarding a law because a judge doesn't think it matters anymore.
    Do you believe it was done on a technicality? And that a technicality should be allowed on an overarching issue like voting? And that states should now be allowed to hurry in with previously determined illegal voting laws before said technicality can be resolved?

  8. #298
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    saw that one too, but I especially liked his desire to separate church and state ...
    my jefferson statement has to do with those who say jefferson was NOT christian, well this proves them wrong.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    Come on, you can't guarantee that you're more intelligent than I am
    anymore than I can that I am more intelligent than you, although saying something like "match brain pans" does undermine your argument. Brain pan? Makes it sound like your brain is leaking and the pan is catching the stuff that's leaking. (Actually, I know what the brain pan is, although I'm not sure what the skull or cranium has to do with intelligence. Are you saying you have a harder skull? That wouldn't surprise me.)

    And how do you determine whether it's you or me who is being manipulated? What if you're being manipulated into saying that I'm being manipulated? Do you see the problem with that kind of argument?

    I thought I posted something intelligent. Maybe you can't tell when something is intelligent. You said blacks voted for Obama simply because he was black. How do you know this anyway? Some people would call that a form of bigotry because I've yet to see anyone say that white people voted for Romney because he was white. He got 47% of the vote, but almost 60% of the white vote. I simply pointed out that the vast majority of blacks vote Democratic regardless of the color of the candidate.
    Never heard that expression ?

    I'm guessing it's just one small bit of a exponential amount of knowledge you lack.

    But you said I was " dumb " so lets address that claim.

    The vast majority of Democrats that voted for Obama in 2008 were taken in by a media construct and a camapign that produced a concept not a leader.

    They chose to ignore his past radical affiliations and lack of experience and also felt the time for a black candidate had come, regardless of experience and qualifications.

    Well we learned fairly quickly how important experience was, and struggled for 4 years as more and more Americans became acquainted with Government assistance.

    In 2012 his campaign and the media pushed the false constructs and narratives like the Republicans war on woman and singled in on Romneys character, because there was absolutley no accomplishment they could point to to validate a second term for Obama.

    If you believed those narratives, if you voted for a man who had added 6 trillion to our structural debt and had his FED pump unlimited QE into the financial markets while people struggled with chronic unemployment then well, your'e just not that bright.

    There is no way around it, our future had been decided by the least of us and its panning out exactly like I thought it would in 2008.

    Multiple scandals, a economy on life suppprt and people who lack character and integrity making excuses for it.

  10. #300
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: US Supreme Court strikes down voting rights act clause

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    progressive groups are calling for a new constitutional amendment that would guarantee and protect the the right to vote. do you have any objections to that proposal
    Any change done to the Constitution by amendment becomes the law of the land. Of course, I have no problem with this.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •