Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 221

Thread: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

  1. #41
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I have no idea what you are asking me.
    Base on your post, it appears affirmative action in admissions has increased the number of "minorities" accepted into UT. Is that diversity reflected in the graduation rates.

    Meaning are those minorities who receive special preference for admission actually completing their college education and graduating?

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    Is that an economic issue or an issue of race?
    A poor white kid has the same disadvantages as a poor black kid
    The law was always meant to benefit rural whites in college admissions. A white student in Kermit with a 3.1 but in top 10 is better off than a black in Dallas with a 3.5 and not in top 10.

  3. #43
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Because that still ends up discriminating mostly against poor people who have underfunded schools in their districts that don't prepare them as well for the test.

    That, and standardized tests aren't really that great a measure of academic aptitude.
    I don't disagree. However, there are other solutions. For instance, Memphis has "optional" programs for schools that you can test in to. I just don't see the reason to "diversify." There certainly are other ways to prepare for the test, as well. I remember taking the ACT and SAT (just like the GRE and MCAT) and there were a host of books, free tests online, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    We have standardized testing in a country where there isn't a standard for education. As long as we continue to let education be up to the states and in some cases counties, standardized testing will be nonsensical. There is no standard for history, there is no standard for science, there isn't even a standard for the social sciences. So what exatcly are we testing in a standard way? How many arbitrarily picked facts they can remember? Sure, one could claim that in math, linguistic courses etc, there is some sort of standard, however those standards are pretty self evident and rarely disputed by the states.
    The standard is a person's knowledge and what they know. May I ask your solution to standardized testing?
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  4. #44
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    The standard is a person's knowledge and what they know. May I ask your solution to standardized testing?
    Except it's not a measure of what they know, it's a measure of whether or not they know a specific list of things.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except it's not a measure of what they know, it's a measure of whether or not they know a specific list of things.
    Right the list is things they are supposed to know.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    The law was always meant to benefit rural whites in college admissions. .
    why do you insist in include race in your argument
    would a Black student in Kermit with a 3.1 but in top 10 is better off than a White in Dallas with a 3.5 and not in top 10?

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    Yes it is wrong.

    The reason is to battle the long term effects of institutional racism that were built into our laws and culture after hundreds if years of slavery then Jim Crow.
    The way for blacks to battle so-called long term effects of institutional racism, which I think you are wrong about, is to take responsibility and work. I understand that for some people this seems like racism in its self, but in the real world only those that work and take personal responsibility for their plight will ever improve their lives. No amount of government reverse discrimination will change this fact.

  8. #48
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except it's not a measure of what they know, it's a measure of whether or not they know a specific list of things.
    It's far from perfect, but I'd take it over many other "requirements." There are a problem with a lot of college admissions, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    why do you insist in include race in your argument
    would a Black student in Kermit with a 3.1 but in top 10 is better off than a White in Dallas with a 3.5 and not in top 10?
    The op is about race.

    Yes a black at a rural school will benefit, but rural TX is mostly white so whites are who benefit from the law. That was the point of the law.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    The op is about race.

    Yes a black at a rural school will benefit, but rural TX is mostly white so whites are who benefit from the law. That was the point of the law.
    why then did you add race to your argument if a black kid has the same advantage as a white kid in a rural area race had nothing to do with it

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •