Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 221

Thread: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

  1. #201
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    And others with less achievement/accomplishment were admitted, yet she was denied admission.
    Students with lower SAT scores than her were admitted. It might be fair to say they got in because of a higher GPA (I can't correlate GPA and SAT scores with the data the UT provides), better extracurricular's, AP scores, etc.

    I'm not arguing that myself, just putting her application in perspective.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #202
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    You're right, my analysis was incorrect. But thankfully, the previous link has numbers for those who were not admitted by the 10% rule, so it isn't meaningless, it was just wrong.

    By the correct numbers, more than 65% of the applicants had scores higher than her.
    And in the secondary phase of the admission process race garners applicants extra credit when considering applicants for particular colleges which was the issue...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #203
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    And in the secondary phase of the admission process race garners applicants extra credit when considering applicants for particular colleges which was the issue...
    My point is that when you're in the bottom portion of the applicant pool, other factors such as AP's, extracurricular's, leadership activities and the like play a larger role. It's too much to say that race was the deciding factor. I haven't seen her entire application, and I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can say that race was why she didn't get in. It's just as likely, and perhaps more likely, that the rest of her application wasn't strong enough.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #204
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    My point is that when you're in the bottom portion of the applicant pool, other factors such as AP's, extracurricular's, leadership activities and the like play a larger role. It's too much to say that race was the deciding factor. I haven't seen her entire application, and I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can say that race was why she didn't get in. It's just as likely, and perhaps more likely, that the rest of her application wasn't strong enough.
    I never implied race was the sole determining factor, but the fact is it was used as one of those used, and that is why the court sent it back to the lower court for review...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #205
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    You're right, my analysis was incorrect. But thankfully, the previous link has numbers for those who were not admitted by the 10% rule, so it isn't meaningless, it was just wrong.

    By the correct numbers, more than 65% of the applicants had scores higher than her.
    That's not what this is all about now is it?

    What about those who had lower scores and were accepted, yet she was denied admission?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #206
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    My point is that when you're in the bottom portion of the applicant pool, other factors such as AP's, extracurricular's, leadership activities and the like play a larger role. It's too much to say that race was the deciding factor. I haven't seen her entire application, and I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can say that race was why she didn't get in. It's just as likely, and perhaps more likely, that the rest of her application wasn't strong enough.
    Let me guess, you vote democrat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #207
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    My point is that when you're in the bottom portion of the applicant pool, other factors such as AP's, extracurricular's, leadership activities and the like play a larger role. It's too much to say that race was the deciding factor. I haven't seen her entire application, and I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can say that race was why she didn't get in. It's just as likely, and perhaps more likely, that the rest of her application wasn't strong enough.
    You're missing the point. Her claim was not that race was a decisive factor, but rather that race was an illegitimate factor.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    And others with less achievement/accomplishment were admitted, yet she was denied admission.
    Yes they let in a white kid from kermit cause he was in the top 10%

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case


  10. #210
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    Yes they let in a white kid from kermit cause he was in the top 10%
    The 10% rule does not require discrimination on the basis of race.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •