Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 221

Thread: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That's a really interesting point that I've always wondered about, and I hope someone here knows more than I do about using socioeconomic background rather than race as a factor in admissions.

    From what I understand, affirmative action is more about a person's race and gender. Therefore, an upper-middle class black, female applicant with application X would be much more likely to gain admission into College Y than a poor male white applicant with the same qualifications. I don't think anyone would argue that the former applicant has more resources to assist her, and likely had a more stable home life. Furthermore, the quality of education this girl received was likely better than that of the latter applicant, because her family can perhaps afford to send her to a private school, or to a prestigious boarding school.

    In my eyes, if the relatively disadvantaged applicant was able to keep up with the well-off applicant, it would suggest to me the latter applicant had to put much more work in to achieve the application parity, or is naturally more gifted than the other applicant.

    By this logic, it seems that, in a country where no one race has an absolute monopoly on poverty, and background is much more imperative to achieving equality and fairness in college admissions than race.

    But I honestly am not fully informed, and I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.
    the argument used by the left to justify affirmative action was because a black kid was disadvantaged because he didn't have the same resources as a white kid but the truth of the matter the disadvantages stemmed from socioeconomic status and not race. a poor white kid has the same disadvantages as a poor black kid but the poor white kid isn't given the same consideration as a poor black kid

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, but it seems to me that you're arguing that the intent of the 10% rule in Texas is to help rural whites. I'm going to rebut that claim. If that wasn't your point, ignore the rest of this post and I'd appreciate it if you could clarify your position.

    I looked up the history of Texas House Bill 588, which instituted the 10% rule. The original writer of the bill was Irma Rangel, a Democrat. The Senate sponsor was Gonzalo Barrientos, a Democrat. The bill was written and passed in response to the Hopwood v. Texas decision, which was a successful challenge of the affirmative action policies at the UT Law School.

    Judging from this information, it seems the intent was to address diversity concerns in the Texas higher education system.


    Whatever the intent the outcome is to be poor rural white affirmative action.

  3. #183
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    the argument used by the left to justify affirmative action was because a black kid was disadvantaged because he didn't have the same resources as a white kid but the truth of the matter the disadvantages stemmed from socioeconomic status and not race. a poor white kid has the same disadvantages as a poor black kid but the poor white kid isn't given the same consideration as a poor black kid
    Exactly. I can see why the original policies were put in place, because there was likely much greater percentages of minorities in poverty than white people, but like you said, white people can be just as poor as black people.

    Now why don't we institute a policy that reflects that reality? Is there something about using socioeconomic background rather than race that makes it unfeasible/unwanted/damaging?
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    That particular policy affected all students equally...
    And just so happens to benefit whites most of the time.

  5. #185
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    And just so happens to benefit whites most of the time.
    Well, if there are more whites in the state, then it would be expected that their admissions would be proportionally higher. Do you understand what the 10% rule for admission actually was?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #186
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case



    Fisher v. University of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Kid graduates with crappy SAT score, average GPA,fails to get into a program which favors Texans, and then complains about being discriminated against.
    1180 out of 1600 SAT is "crappy?" A 3.59 GPA is "average?" Yet some who had lower scores and averages than her were admitted based on their race, not their achievements. And you find fault in her feeling discriminated against?

    Typical hypocritical liberal. You would have blown a gasket had she been black or Hispanic and denied admission with white students being accepted with lower scores.
    Last edited by Μολὼν λαβέ; 06-25-13 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Well, if there are more whites in the state, then it would be expected that their admissions would be proportionally higher. Do you understand what the 10% rule for admission actually was?
    It places advantage to rural schools which just so happen to be white.

  8. #188
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    It places advantage to rural schools which just so happen to be white.
    No, the policy applies to the top 10% of ALL high school students whether they be rural, suburban, or inner city...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    1180 out of 1600 SAT is "crappy?" A 3.59 GPA is "average?" Yet some who had lower scores and averages than her were admitted based on their race, not their achievements. And you find fault in her feeling discriminated against?

    Typical hypocritical liberal. You would have blown a gasket had she been black or Hispanic and and white students were being admitted instead of her?
    It is average for top teir university student.

    You must carry a 3.5 in any decent program or you fail.

  10. #190
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,784
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    It places advantage to rural schools which just so happen to be white.
    In Texas? What makes you think rural schools are disproportionately white?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •