Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 221

Thread: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

  1. #171
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I can buy that, but even so, they don't ask for documentation at any stage. And even if they did, at what point is it not enough? Does the one drop rule apply? I'm 1/16 Persian, can I claim minority status? That's not a rhetorical question, btw.



    You can claim whatever you want to claim.

    But there's no guarantee that will help you.

  2. #172
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    It mostly benefits rural whites. As most small towns in TX are White.



    In about thirty years non-Hispanic Whites will all be members of a minority.

  3. #173
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    No it was to give rural whites admission benefits on par with inner city blacks. It worked really well.
    I haven't read the entire thread, but it seems to me that you're arguing that the intent of the 10% rule in Texas is to help rural whites. I'm going to rebut that claim. If that wasn't your point, ignore the rest of this post and I'd appreciate it if you could clarify your position.

    I looked up the history of Texas House Bill 588, which instituted the 10% rule. The original writer of the bill was Irma Rangel, a Democrat. The Senate sponsor was Gonzalo Barrientos, a Democrat. The bill was written and passed in response to the Hopwood v. Texas decision, which was a successful challenge of the affirmative action policies at the UT Law School.

    Judging from this information, it seems the intent was to address diversity concerns in the Texas higher education system.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #174
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You heard it here, folks! Apdst assures us that racial discrimination is over and done. Phew, that's a load off.
    Yeah! Look out for that ol boogey man; need the Libbos to come save us fore day put yall in chains. Deuce say we's too weak and stupid to take care of ire'sef so dem do gooders gots tuh hep us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #175
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, but it seems to me that you're arguing that the intent of the 10% rule in Texas is to help rural whites. I'm going to rebut that claim. If that wasn't your point, ignore the rest of this post and I'd appreciate it if you could clarify your position.

    I looked up the history of Texas House Bill 588, which instituted the 10% rule. The original writer of the bill was Irma Rangel, a Democrat. The Senate sponsor was Gonzalo Barrientos, a Democrat. The bill was written and passed in response to the Hopwood v. Texas decision, which was a successful challenge of the affirmative action policies at the UT Law School.

    Judging from this information, it seems the intent was to address diversity concerns in the Texas higher education system.
    The 10% rule was not what was questioned as that applied to all schools. The issue arose from giving preference based on race in those areas of study where the university felt it hadn't achieved the amount of desired diversity and was using it as a means to do so...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #176
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The 10% rule was not what was questioned as that applied to all schools. The issue arose from giving preference based on race in those areas of study where the university felt it hadn't achieved the amount of desired diversity and was using it as a means to do so...
    Not arguing with that, but I was addressing captainawesome's potential claim that the intent of the 10% rule was to aid rural white applicants in gaining admission.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #177
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Not arguing with that, but I was addressing captainawesome's potential claim that the intent of the 10% rule was to aid rural white applicants in gaining admission.
    That particular policy affected all students equally...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #178
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    no they don't because affirmative action is about race not economic status. its about racial diversity not economic status diversity
    That's a really interesting point that I've always wondered about, and I hope someone here knows more than I do about using socioeconomic background rather than race as a factor in admissions.

    From what I understand, affirmative action is more about a person's race and gender. Therefore, an upper-middle class black, female applicant with application X would be much more likely to gain admission into College Y than a poor male white applicant with the same qualifications. I don't think anyone would argue that the former applicant has more resources to assist her, and likely had a more stable home life. Furthermore, the quality of education this girl received was likely better than that of the latter applicant, because her family can perhaps afford to send her to a private school, or to a prestigious boarding school.

    In my eyes, if the relatively disadvantaged applicant was able to keep up with the well-off applicant, it would suggest to me the latter applicant had to put much more work in to achieve the application parity, or is naturally more gifted than the other applicant.

    By this logic, it seems that, in a country where no one race has an absolute monopoly on poverty, socioeconomic status and background is much more imperative to achieving equality and fairness in college admissions than race.

    But I honestly am not fully informed, and I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #179
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    That particular policy affected all students equally...
    I'm not discussing who it helped, I was questioning whether the interpretation of the intent was correct.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  10. #180
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Supreme Court punts on affirmative action case

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I'm not discussing who it helped, I was questioning whether the interpretation of the intent was correct.
    I cannot answer as to another's intent...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •