Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 497

Thread: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    The problem is that SCOTUS is ruling that states cannot exceed Fed guidelines on identity verification without Fed permission. Several justices found that the fed system was little better than an honor system and does not do enough to prevent fraud. They were practically urging states to find a middleground with the fed. I think they also leaned towards more ID for registration rather than voting---but its hard to be sure.

    It sure would be nice to stricter guidelines on fed registration than simply you are who you say you are.
    The Constitution is pretty clear on this, that Congress has the final say on Federal voting regulations.

    Article 1, Section 4, Clause 1.

    The States have sole control of State and Local election regulations.

  2. #272
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,807

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    The Constitution is pretty clear on this, that Congress has the final say on Federal voting regulations.

    Article 1, Section 4, Clause 1.

    The States have sole control of State and Local election regulations.
    Yes. But even the justices recognized that the current fed system is not working. An honor code is not good enough when it comes to federal elections.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Yes. But even the justices recognized that the current fed system is not working. An honor code is not good enough when it comes to federal elections.
    Without any evidence of widespread election fraud, with tens of thousands of ineligible people registering to vote, is there a problem that really needs fixing?

    I agree hypothetically that we should have citizenship verification for voter registrations. But its hard to argue that we must change the Federal law without evidence of a major problem.

  4. #274
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why? Would those links change your mind regarding ID laws? Let's say for the sake of argument that everything in that post is true.

    Because otherwise I'm much too lazy to chase down those links again.

    Let's say for the sake of reality that everything in your post was not true...


  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    We have one already. It's called a Social Security Card.
    It doesnt have a photo.

  6. #276
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,014

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    For those who claim that we need to do things to crack down on the problem of voter election fraud, please present your evidence that there is a signficant or widespread problem of voter election fraud that would require a different approach than the current laws which deal with voter fraud. .

    I would love to see the verifiable statistics quantifying the "problem".
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    For those who claim that we need to do things to crack down on the problem of voter election fraud, please present your evidence that there is a signficant or widespread problem of voter election fraud that would require a different approach than the current laws which deal with voter fraud. .

    I would love to see the verifiable statistics quantifying the "problem".
    The "problem" is that minorities and poor people vote.

    That's the "problem" they are trying to solve.

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,014

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    The "problem" is that minorities and poor people vote.

    That's the "problem" they are trying to solve.
    grand slam home run out of the park..... well said.
    Last edited by haymarket; 06-18-13 at 01:39 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #279
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    grand slam home run ou ofthe park..... well said.
    Sure, if you're a mindless extremist.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,014

    Re: Supreme Court strikes down Arizona voter ID citizenship law

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sure, if you're a mindless extremist.
    That makes no sense. A republican high ranking state official basically admitted his partisan motivation for changing voter laws in his own state.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ght-explained/

    June 25, 2012: Video surfaces of state House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R) saying, at a gathering of Pennsylvania Republicans the previous weekend, that the law would help them carry the state at the presidential level. “Voter ID, which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania: done,” Turzai said while listing his party’s accomplishments. This was a problem because the GOP says they are necessary to prevent voter fraud — not for partisan political gain. Democrats pounce on Turzai’s comment as proof of the actual motivation behind the law.
    The cat is long ago out of the bag on this issue. Do you really believe that the Justices are not aware of the true motivations for these restrictive voting laws? They can watch the news and read just like the rest of us.

    But feel free to stop attacking and start debating by providing the statistical evidence that there even is a significant or widespread problem that we even need to worry about.

    Any time you are ready I will be glad to read your verifiable evidence.
    Last edited by haymarket; 06-18-13 at 01:55 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •