Page 88 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #871
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    No, not even close.

    A 5-4 states' rights decision on DOMA curiously along unexpected ideological lines
    4 liberal justices and Kennedy was exactly what was expected. What cave have you been living in.

    and a 5-4 states' rights decision on Prop 8 regarding procedure for modifying a state's constitutional provisions is simply not a "marriage definition" matter.
    The gist of the ruling was not states rights. It was mentioned briefly.

    "Marriage" remains what it has always been for over 12,000 years since the agricultural revolution, "between a man and a woman as husband and wife", isolated and pocketed violations never having been "redefintions".
    Well, except for all the places it has not been like what you think, including previously in this United States. And except for all the places currently where it is not what you think. But I am sure those are just "exceptions". the excuse when something ruins your argument.

    Your ideological spin as to what the SCOTUS decisions mean is simply erroneous, obviously.
    You should probably read the decisions before commenting on them. You are pretty much entirely wrong in what they ruled.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #872
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    With respect to "gradually winning the hearts and minds of the country", that's not likely to happen, as all that's been done in effect is to increase animosity of those 92% of the population that are pissed that their 12,000 year-old institution is being brazenly hijacked by 2% of the population. That won't "win" anything .. but adversity.

    What is now likely to happen, however, is that states who think there is some nebulous "handwriting on the wall" will rush to create homarriage domestic partner civil unions.

    This will allow SS couples to get homarried, and have equal protection in their committed monogamous romantic relationships regarding their relationship's dealings with government and private enterprise while at the same time respecting definitive propriety and the institution of marriage that belongs to 92% of the population as a class.

    Once that begins to happen, once that becomes the norm, then your "Loving v. Virginia" will occur in reverse of what you imagine, likely compelling the comparative handful of states that have ludicrously sanctioned the oxymoronic SSM to invalidate those relationships .. or convert them to homarriages.



    You would do well to rethink your "likely outcome" scenarios in light of the most probable outcomes.
    None of this is based in reality since the majority of Americans support SSM, a percentage that has been near continuously rising for over 15 years. And, since we know that younger people tend to support SSM more strongly, this number will only rise. Fact and logic prove you wrong, of course.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #873
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,515

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If that makes you feel better about it then good for you but the truth remains I can go marry a same sex partner in those states and it will be recognized by the federal government.
    Yes, you can oxymoronically get a same sex partner "marriage" license in those comparative handful of states .. for now.

    But, in reality, you'll simply not be married.

    And, of course, all is reversible with a mere predictable ideological swing of the pendulum of power ...
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  4. #874
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post


    Continuing your debate tactic of obfuscation via subterfuge is only a signal of capitulation.

    I'll take the "hint" that you're done.
    I suppose I will take this as your concession that 1) you lied about what I claimed, and 2) you cannot debate what I actually claimed. This is not surprising, but I am glad that you have exhibited your lack of logic and inability to debate my position to everyone.

    Like I said... let me know when/if you are ready to debate my actual position. Then we can get started.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #875
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    With respect to "gradually winning the hearts and minds of the country", that's not likely to happen, as all that's been done in effect is to increase animosity of those 92% of the population that are pissed that their 12,000 year-old institution is being brazenly hijacked by 2% of the population. That won't "win" anything .. but adversity.
    Your reaction is hardly the norm. Truth is, SSM has gained in support every single year lately. Under 30 it is overwhelmingly supported. The people most opposed to it are the older generation who are dying out. I realize you are alergic to facts and science, but polling might be something to look at before making such nonsensical claims.

    What is now likely to happen, however, is that states who think there is some nebulous "handwriting on the wall" will rush to create homarriage domestic partner civil unions.

    This will allow SS couples to get homarried, and have equal protection in their committed monogamous romantic relationships regarding their relationship's dealings with government and private enterprise while at the same time respecting definitive propriety and the institution of marriage that belongs to 92% of the population as a class.

    Once that begins to happen, once that becomes the norm, then your "Loving v. Virginia" will occur in reverse of what you imagine, likely compelling the comparative handful of states that have ludicrously sanctioned the oxymoronic SSM to invalidate those relationships .. or convert them to homarriages.



    You would do well to rethink your "likely outcome" scenarios in light of the most probable outcomes.
    What is likely to happen is you will be wrong again. At least you are used to it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #876
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    With respect to "gradually winning the hearts and minds of the country", that's not likely to happen, as all that's been done in effect is to increase animosity of those 92% of the population that are pissed that their 12,000 year-old institution is being brazenly hijacked by 2% of the population. That won't "win" anything .. but adversity.

    What is now likely to happen, however, is that states who think there is some nebulous "handwriting on the wall" will rush to create homarriage domestic partner civil unions.

    This will allow SS couples to get homarried, and have equal protection in their committed monogamous romantic relationships regarding their relationship's dealings with government and private enterprise while at the same time respecting definitive propriety and the institution of marriage that belongs to 92% of the population as a class.

    Once that begins to happen, once that becomes the norm, then your "Loving v. Virginia" will occur in reverse of what you imagine, likely compelling the comparative handful of states that have ludicrously sanctioned the oxymoronic SSM to invalidate those relationships .. or convert them to homarriages.



    You would do well to rethink your "likely outcome" scenarios in light of the most probable outcomes.
    I'm pretty stoked. I want to have this discussion across the country. I did not think it should be decided by a few justices.

    And I love people like you because...well...no offense but the language and attitude you bring to the discussion is probably going to be quite helpful in pushing our case. Whether you like it or not, same sex marriage is law in those states and choosing to speak down and belittle the people and relationships that you don't agree with is not going to inspire many people to find your cause just or benevolent. It just makes you look angry and vindictive...but whatever.

    There are no losers with this decision. Everyone in the country is a winner because the courts are allowing us to do what is best and that is to have a civil and ongoing discussion on what is best for the country and our culture as a whole in regards to the incredibly important institution of marriage. Let's do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #877
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Yes, you can oxymoronically get a same sex partner "marriage" license in those comparative handful of states .. for now.

    But, in reality, you'll simply not be married.
    Actually, you will be.

    And, of course, all is reversible with a mere predictable ideological swing of the pendulum of power ...
    And, not only do you have no evidence of this, all evidence shows the OPPOSITE happening. So, you are wrong times 2.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #878
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your reaction is hardly the norm. Truth is, SSM has gained in support every single year lately. Under 30 it is overwhelmingly supported. The people most opposed to it are the older generation who are dying out. I realize you are alergic to facts and science, but polling might be something to look at before making such nonsensical claims.
    Then they don't show up to vote in state elections, so essentially they don't count, their opinion doesn't matter, never has. Until that happens it's still going to be true that the majority of the states have a majority of voters that are anti-SSM. That hasn't changed.

  9. #879
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Yes, you can oxymoronically get a same sex partner "marriage" license in those comparative handful of states .. for now.

    But, in reality, you'll simply not be married.

    And, of course, all is reversible with a mere predictable ideological swing of the pendulum of power ...
    Marriage, as a license and a set of legal obligations and benefits is exactly what you will be, by definition. That you do not like it is entirely irrelevant. I mean, really, this is not hard. In fact it is really easy. Sticking your fingers in your ears so you don't hear the evil truth will not make it go away.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #880
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Then they don't show up to vote in state elections, so essentially they don't count, their opinion doesn't matter, never has. Until that happens it's still going to be true that the majority of the states have a majority of voters that are anti-SSM. That hasn't changed.
    Which is changing, as we learned in November.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •