Page 81 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #801
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    It is one thing for a society to elect change; it is another for a court of law to impose change by adjudging those who oppose it hostes humani generis, enemies of the human race.
    Scalia, like you, loves to write homophobic screeds.

    “It’s a form of argument that I thought you would have known, which is called the ‘reduction to the absurd,’” Scalia told Hosie of San Francisco during the question-and-answer period. “If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things?”
    Scalia said he is not equating sodomy with murder but drawing a parallel between the bans on both."

    He also has a low view of the Bill of Rights:

    "He also dismissed the importance of the Bill of Rights as an “afterthought,” compared to the U.S. Constitution’s overall structure, observing, “Every tinhorned dictator in the world has a bill of rights.”
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #802
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Deuce, appeal to tradition isn't an argument and, therefore, not a logical fallacy. Society does, in fact, have the right to legislate traditional values and there's no fallacy involved.

    Dogfights don't harm YOU. And that was your position. That you must show how it harms YOU.
    You misunderstood. I mentioned you specifically, but the point is that nobody can state how same-sex marriage harms themselves or society. The United States government has hurdles to cross if they want to restrict my choices. This is a discussion of a contract entered between two private individuals, as far as the government is concerned. The government is making a gender-based distinction in this contract and how the law treats it. Gender is a protected classification, the government must show an "important state interest" in making this distinction.

    They have failed to do so.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #803
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake McHugh View Post
    You don't consider it extreme to overturn the will of the voters?
    that would depend on their will
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #804
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake McHugh View Post
    You don't consider it extreme to overturn the will of the voters?
    Not when the "will of the voters" violates the rights of others and contradicts the rights guaranteed under the US Constitution.

    Voters wanted segregation in the South. Voters wanted bans on interracial marriage in the South. Voters wanted handguns banned in Chicago. All these things violate the US Constitution, which exists to protect the rights of all citizens, including minorities, from the will of the simple majority.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #805
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    this is another failed argument people always make and it never works, nobody honest buys it, its laughable

    tradition is a fallacy period. what its tradition in my marriage maybe not be in yours and vice versa its complete BS that never works
    That's nonsense. We legislate based on tradition regularly and it ranges from Christmas being a national holiday to summer vacation for kiddies. But on a higher level, marriage really is about more than tradition. It's about establishing the fundamental building block of society and that's the family unit and the family unit starts is based on a mother and a father. Homosexuals have had to rely on claiming exceptional circumstances are the norm in order to rationalize that two men or two women living together and engaging in sexual relationshiops equates to "marriage". It's worked well enough to convince some states to change their laws and I agree that states should have the right to do that if they wish. On the other hand, that doesn't mean those handful of states have a right to force their definition of marriage on the rest of the country. Not everyone buys the "exceptions as the rule" argumentation.

  6. #806
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake McHugh View Post
    You don't consider it extreme to overturn the will of the voters?
    When that will infringes on the rights of others? No I do not consider it extreme in the least.

  7. #807
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake McHugh View Post
    You don't consider it extreme to overturn the will of the voters?
    Not when it is unconstitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #808
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Drake McHugh View Post
    You don't consider it extreme to overturn the will of the voters?
    Sometimes the people are wrong.

    Tyranny of the majority is exactly why court systems such as yours were set up.

    People voting to restrict the rights of their neighbours is not an absolute power.

  9. #809
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You misunderstood. I mentioned you specifically, but the point is that nobody can state how same-sex marriage harms themselves or society. The United States government has hurdles to cross if they want to restrict my choices. This is a discussion of a contract entered between two private individuals, as far as the government is concerned. The government is making a gender-based distinction in this contract and how the law treats it. Gender is a protected classification, the government must show an "important state interest" in making this distinction.

    They have failed to do so.
    The states haven't been asked to show "important state interest", so they can't have "failed to do so".

  10. #810
    Spectemur Agendo Trip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,920

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) this is a lie, would you like me to qoute you? you suggested that legal marriage cares about procreation/off spring, it does not
    2.) but the fact remains you cant, you are guessing
    3.) in this case yes you are
    4.) marriage is meaningless to your guess, marriage had nothing to do with me being born and history disagrees with you, so you are wrong twice
    5.) again its not false its 100% true because its meaningless to my creation, 100% meaningless lol this fact will never change

    again do you have anything thats on topic to legal marriage and matters to the topic? anything?
    You're having real trouble with this, and also what is a "lie" and what isn't, so I will spell it out for you.


    1) NOWHERE in that relevant post #770 do I indicate legal marriage cares about procreation. I don't even mention procreation anywhere! In point of fact, AGAIN< i dont offer ANY OPINION whatsoever, except a clear statement that you are the byproduct of a heterosexual union. Your assertion that my statement indicating this is a "lie" is your own ignorance, and yet another examply why you shouldn't be wielding that word. Your error does not constitute my having lied.

    2) I'm not guessing. You and everyone on the face of the planet are the product of heterosexual relationships.

    3) I'm not just correct in your case, but EVERY SINGLE CASE for every single person on the face of the planet.

    4) No. , marriage is not meaningless, to my non-guess certainty, and is in fact driven home by your own recognition that people can create offspring without marriage, and without any commitment at all. This ability to procreate without marriage, and without commitment is precisely why marriage is recognized as man-woman in every society in mankind's history, and that is 100% fact.

    5) No, your statement was that I was referencing "marriage" not "heterosexual relationships" was incorrect. You specifically and mistakenly indicated I was discussing marriage by stating, " because i could easily exist with out marriage and do" . By this fact, your statement is 100% false. The problem with this, as with your claim of a "lie", is that you have trouble recognizing fact from fiction, and opinion from reality.

    The reality is that you are the byproduct of a heterosexual relationship, and no human being is the byproduct of a gay relationship, thereby making it impossible for gay unions to be any sort of actual equivalent to marriage for societies.

    "If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

    ~ James Madison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •