Page 77 of 159 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #761
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    That's the nail on the head. The $64,000 question is: what perceived right is bestowed on a SS union with marriage?
    Well the long and short of it is that they want to call it marriage instead of civil unions because they naively believe that people will suddenly magically accept them socially. People will or they will not accept gays, and "marriage" is irrelevant to that.

  2. #762
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Nope. Prop 8 was a state constitution issue. If the gays are going to win this fight they are going to have to do it state by state.
    No they won't. One ruling that holds that a restriction on marriage of any kind in a state violates the EPC will strike them all down, just as it did with race restrictions on marriage. There were at least two states that had constitutional amendments saying that marriage could be legally recognized when between people of the same race. Loving struck those down with the simple legal restrictions.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #763
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    again your opinion is meaningless to reality
    you dont get to make up a definition of marriage and argue it as fact LOL thats the false ideology
    But you do?

  4. #764
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well the long and short of it is that they want to call it marriage instead of civil unions because they naively believe that people will suddenly magically accept them socially. People will or they will not accept gays, and "marriage" is irrelevant to that.
    There are still people who do not socially accept interracial relationships, I've met several. That is not needed for same sex couples to legally marry in this country. All that is needed is enough support to change the laws, either through legislative or judicial action or a combination of the two, which is what we are seeing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #765
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well the long and short of it is that they want to call it marriage instead of civil unions because they naively believe that people will suddenly magically accept them socially. People will or they will not accept gays, and "marriage" is irrelevant to that.
    That's also been my suspicion. That's also funny. Twenty years ago, the SS movement was declaring how different they were than anyone else. Can they make up their minds?

  6. #766
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    But you do?
    can you show me where i did? Ill wait
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #767
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There are still people who do not socially accept interracial relationships, I've met several. That is not needed for same sex couples to legally marry in this country. All that is needed is enough support to change the laws, either through legislative or judicial action or a combination of the two, which is what we are seeing.
    just basic common sense

    there are people that still think women arent equal, minorities arent equal etc etc

    the straw man you are addressing always fails, its about rights and equality
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #768
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There are still people who do not socially accept interracial relationships, I've met several. That is not needed for same sex couples to legally marry in this country. All that is needed is enough support to change the laws, either through legislative or judicial action or a combination of the two, which is what we are seeing.
    Another ideologue who improperly uses an analogy. Probably for political sake. See, most people don't prevent SS couples from uniting... unlike, as you post, interracial relationships.

  9. #769
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There are still people who do not socially accept interracial relationships, I've met several. That is not needed for same sex couples to legally marry in this country. All that is needed is enough support to change the laws, either through legislative or judicial action or a combination of the two, which is what we are seeing.
    No what you are seeing is that they are going to have to do it state by state legislatively. The SCOTUS just said gays can marry in CA but not in 29 other states.

  10. #770
    Spectemur Agendo Trip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,920

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) except facts that prove they arent the same
    2.) again you are talking about something that doesnt exists
    3.) you are free to have this opinion
    4.) false twice, thats not the legal precedence i was talking about lol nor does it fight against it

    sorry civil unions are not the same and they factually cant be
    Facts proving they are not the same ...


    Without any claim of my being Carnac the Magnificent, I can say with absolute certainty that you yourself are the product of a heterosexual relationship, and not at all the product of a gay union.

    Either that makes me absolutely clairvoyant, or I am relying on real, hard facts that have been around for a long, long time, and aren't about to change.

    "If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

    ~ James Madison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •