Page 73 of 159 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #721
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    Your contention that a 5-4 SCOTUS decision "changed" the definition of marriage is just as ludicrous as saying if the decision had been 5-4 the other way that it would have upheld the definition of marriage.

    Neither had the power to do either.

    The SCOTUS action, activist ideologues, etc., none of these have the power to redefine a word that has meant "between a man and a woman as husband and wife" for over 12,000 years, as violations of the definition of "marriage" in no way redefine it.

    What will happen as a result will be to increase hostility between homosexuals (2% of the population) and heterosexuals (92% of the population) (6% of the population are bisexuals, vastly not interested in domestic partnership civil unions).

    The result will not be good for the 2%.

    Better was to create civil union domestic partnerships for SS couples called "homarriage" or the like.

    Then everyone gets what they truly deserve: SS copules get equal protection for their relationships, rightly named, and OS couples retain their rightly named civil union domestic partnership, marriage.

    But these close ideological decisions, they in no way resolve anything, but simply increase understandable animosity in the 92% majority against those who would steal from them.

    Eventually, this kind of injustice will politically waken the sleeping giant .. and then woe to those who disrespected this giant force.

    A word to the wise.
    The numbers of people that are against SSM has been quickly dwindling. Your giant is turning into midget

  2. #722
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    LOL...you are not against homosexuals having the same union rights of traditional marriage, you just want copywrite on the word.

    What a sad, pedantic argument.
    Indeed, his is a silly argument.

  3. #723
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    Indeed, his is a silly argument.
    Separate...but equal.

    Sigh...
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #724
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    Legally, this means people in California can marry people of the same sex. So clearly a definition of marriage has changed. You're free to have your own definition.
    Just in California. They left in place the part of the federal law that allows other states to refuse to recognize gay marriage, so it might have been more a legal defeat than SSM marriage people think if they are going to try to use the Courts to impose their will on the 29 states that have specifically banned recognition.

    Just adding that I think this was a piss poor ruling in terms of the full faith and credit clause by splitting the baby in half.

  5. #725
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Just in California. They left in place the part of the federal law that allows other states to refuse to recognize gay marriage, so it might have been more a legal defeat than SSM marriage people think if they are going to try to use the Courts to impose their will on the 29 states that have specifically banned recognition.
    Indeed. I don't deny that the legal definition hasn't changed in other states. I was just commenting on Ontologuy's silly argument that definitions can't change, so we can't call homosexual unions "marriage."

  6. #726
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    MINO - marriage in name only.

  7. #727
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    MINO - marriage in name only.
    See - look at that. Government recognition of same sex marriage doesn't force you to change your definition at all. I guess all that anti-ssm rhetoric was as empty as I've always thought it to be.

  8. #728
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    . Blacks could also quench their thirst by drinking out of drinking fountains that were "reserved" for them....they didn't have to drink out of "white only" drinking fountains.

    See how ridiculous your argument is?
    You're the ideologue! The guy that has, IMO, 48 pt. font in the signature! You don't care about fairness. You don't care about equality. You don't care about justice. You only care about marriage for all. And gosh, all those flags!

    Your analogy between the inequality of no SSM and the inequality of blacks only water fountains is valid only if no SSM results in the same 'lack of quality' as the blacks only water fountain. Blacks only water fountains had unsanitary water (water that didn't have the same quality as whites' water) in 'nasty' locations that were apart from whites. I've already pointed out that, in some states, unions have all the rights and responsibilities of marriage. NOT a ludicrous simile like no SSM is like unsanitary water in a 'nasty' location apart from whites. Your rhetoric, however, flies sky high.
    Last edited by cabse5; 06-26-13 at 02:01 PM.

  9. #729
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
    Indeed. I don't deny that the legal definition hasn't changed in other states. I was just commenting on Ontologuy's silly argument that definitions can't change, so we can't call homosexual unions "marriage."
    People can call it whatever they want--the semantics are of no concern to me. That said, gays would face a lot less political headwind if they were advocating for civil unions instead of "marriage". It comes across like they are trying to force themselves onto others and dilute religious institutions to a lot of people calling it "marriage". If it were just about rights, civil unions work just as well legally.

  10. #730
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Blacks could also quench their thirst by drinking out of drinking fountains that were "reserved" for them....they didn't have to drink out of "white only" drinking fountains.

    See how ridiculous your argument is?
    yes those arguments are always ridicules and easily defeated, they make no sense and history already proves them wrong
    separate but equal is not equal as history proves and if this fact wasnt already true and civil unions and domestic partnerships have already been proven not to be equal hell until today it was factually impossible
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •