Page 6 of 159 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #51
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My single sister does not have the same right you do. She cannot marry a woman only because she is a woman. You can marry a woman because you are a man. There is no legitimate government being furthered by not allowing my sister to marry a woman based solely on her sex/gender.
    Everyone plays by the same rules...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    So the Constitution protects polygamy?
    It might. But that issue is separate and has to stand in its own. You have to have just cause o prevent it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #53
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why would one want to marry someone of the same sex
    Why does a person want to marry a person of the opposite sex? Or more specifically, why did Mr. Loving want to marry Mrs. Loving? Why does any person want to marry any other specific person? If you don't know the answer to this, maybe you should consider not getting married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #54
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Everyone plays by the same rules...
    Same excuse used to justify the same sort of discrimination against interracial couples. "Black people can marry black people, white people can marry white people, everyone has access to marriage and plays by the same rules."
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #55
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It might. But that issue is separate and has to stand in its own. You have to have just cause o prevent it.
    I see no way for SCOTUS to honestly distinguish between gay marriage and polygamy. It's just that there's no political constituency for polygamy. Shabbat shalom, be back tomorrow night!
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Is is not a State decision since they are the ones issuing the licenses?
    Does your drivers license work in other states?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #57
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why does a person want to marry a person of the opposite sex? Or more specifically, why did Mr. Loving want to marry Mrs. Loving? Why does any person want to marry any other specific person? If you don't know the answer to this, maybe you should consider not getting married.
    I married because of love, to legitimize our children, and the BENEFITS. When you're willing to admit that the benefits are the underlying reason, I'll take you seriously...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #58
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah well a pet cant consent to being adopted now can they? obviously a table cant consent to being purchased.... So what is the damn difference???

    You can adopt a pet but not marry a pet?

    You can buy a table but not marry a table?

    And if you don't think people DON'T want to marry pets or inanimate objects then you would be totally wrong.
    The difference is that those things, cats and tables, are not guaranteed rights by the US Constitution, citizens of the US are, including gay citizens and anyone who might want to marry another person that they would want to marry but can't just because of their gender.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I disagree. If you're a heterosexual, you can marry who you are attracted to and love, assuming they feel the same. The homosexual person can't do the same. To see the discrimination you have to take your fingers out of your ears and listen.
    You're absolutely wrong... There is NOTHING that is stopping homosexuals from engaging in civil contract with their partners -- that's what "marriage" is -- de facto civil contract.

  10. #60
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Does your drivers license work in other states?
    Have I stated a State recognized marriage should not?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 6 of 159 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •