Page 59 of 159 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #581
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Homosexual acts and homosexuality are two different things. You do know the difference between orientation and behavior, correct?
    I know there is no proof of a propensity for homosexual orientation, although many with SSM ideologies, swear it's so.

    I sat in on a class in college (in which I was eventually kicked out) because a speech teacher teaching a CORE class in my major (not speech) told everyone in class there was scientific proof of the propensity of homosexual orientation. Supposedly, some ideological 'scientists' autopsied the brains of aborted fetuses and discovered a chemical on the brains of some fetuses. This was scientific proof of the propensity of homosexual behavior. I asked the college professor if the scientists shoved the fetus back into their birth canal and waited the remaining gestation period, and longer, to determine the sexual orientation. I was kicked out of class.

  2. #582
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I know there is no proof of a propensity for homosexual orientation, although many with SSM ideologies, swear it's so.

    I sat in on a class in college (in which I was eventually kicked out) because a speech teacher teaching a CORE class in my major (not speech) told everyone in class there was scientific proof of the propensity of homosexual orientation. Supposedly, some ideological 'scientists' autopsied the brains of aborted fetuses and discovered a chemical on the brains of some fetuses. This was scientific proof of the propensity of homosexual behavior. I asked the college professor if the scientists shoved the fetus back into their birth canal and waited the remaining gestation period, and longer, to determine the sexual orientation. I was kicked out of class.

    There is no known method for determining the sexual orientation of anyone other than their own words, coupled with their own behaviors.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #583
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    QUOTE=tererun;1061969540]... I am not holding my breath they will do it, but i am wondering what the hell is up with them delaying this announcement by another weak. News outlets are having a hell of a time recycling their speculations over and over again.[/QUOTE]

    Another of SSM advocate's talking points is that church goers can easily practice their religion even if SSM is legal. I don't know if you've followed my postings on the SSM debate, but that is exactly my argument against SSM. A SS union can have all the rights and responsibilities of marriage. You see, in Oregon, California, Washington, Nevada, and Colorado, legislation has already been passed in those states to give unions all the rights and responsibilties of marriage. A union can adopt. A union can share each other's assets. Tax advantages would problably be a federal bill. Not at all impossible.

    There's nothing to prevent a SS couple from having a union that has all the rights and responsibilites of marriage in those states. And the legislation isn't, IMO, at all controversial. IOW, other states will follow suit.

    See the disconnect? See the unfairness? One of the reasons SSM advocates give for church goers to accede SSM is that they can practice their religon anyway. I'm saying SS unions can practice their union with all the rights and responsibilites of marriage anyway.

  4. #584
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    There is no known method for determining the sexual orientation of anyone other than their own words, coupled with their own behaviors.

    Tim-
    Sounds psychological.

  5. #585
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Sounds psychological.
    Bingo Dingo!


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  6. #586
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    QUOTE=tererun;1061969540]... I am not holding my breath they will do it, but i am wondering what the hell is up with them delaying this announcement by another weak. News outlets are having a hell of a time recycling their speculations over and over again.
    Another of SSM advocate's talking points is that church goers can easily practice their religion even if SSM is legal. I don't know if you've followed my postings on the SSM debate, but that is exactly my argument against SSM. A SS union can have all the rights and responsibilities of marriage. You see, in Oregon, California, Washington, Nevada, and Colorado, legislation has already been passed in those states to give unions all the rights and responsibilties of marriage. A union can adopt. A union can share each other's assets. Tax advantages would problably be a federal bill. Not at all impossible.

    There's nothing to prevent a SS couple from having a union that has all the rights and responsibilites of marriage in those states. And the legislation isn't, IMO, at all controversial. IOW, other states will follow suit.

    See the disconnect? See the unfairness? One of the reasons SSM advocates give for church goers to accede SSM is that they can practice their religon anyway. I'm saying SS unions can practice their union with all the rights and responsibilites of marriage anyway.[/QUOTE]


    Blacks could also quench their thirst by drinking out of drinking fountains that were "reserved" for them....they didn't have to drink out of "white only" drinking fountains.

    See how ridiculous your argument is?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #587
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You should also know just because you find something in a book, one or two books, doesn't mean it is correct. Hundreds of scholars believe the exact opposite of your links.
    Actually, they don't. Many merely accept the reasoning for not correcting the error. Among actual scholars I mean. I remember one young Amish scholar charged by his church to prove the Bible specifically denounced homosexuality (in an actual book in the 80's). He opened his report with "I don't want anyone mad at me, but going back to the original language, there's really nothing specific."

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #588
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,783

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You should study the Bible a little more. That was the old Levitical law.
    You should read what Jesus has to say on the subject.

    18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:18-20
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #589
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Rather nervous, hoping for good news tomorrow.

    This may be a political issue for most of you, but this is rather personal for me, crossing my fingers, and saying a few prayers. Hopefully equality will win the day.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #590
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Rather nervous, hoping for good news tomorrow.

    This may be a political issue for most of you, but this is rather personal for me, crossing my fingers, and saying a few prayers. Hopefully equality will win the day.
    Good luck!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •