Page 5 of 159 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #41
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I did answer it. You're mistaken in your proposition. I think I made hat clear.
    No, you've studiously ignored it. Do you think laws defining marriage as between men and women have been unconstitutional since 1868, or is it some more recent date?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  2. #42
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Is is not a State decision since they are the ones issuing the licenses?
    Not completely, no. State laws must abide by the 14th Amendment EPC. And yes that is used a lot to justify striking down state laws because many states have laws in place or have put laws in place that violate that clause because they can't seem to understand that the 14th Amendment is a limitation to states' rights in favor of individual citizens' rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    A pet can't consent. Neither can a table. Again, there is justification there.

    Yeah well a pet cant consent to being adopted now can they? obviously a table cant consent to being purchased.... So what is the damn difference???

    You can adopt a pet but not marry a pet?

    You can buy a table but not marry a table?

    And if you don't think people DON'T want to marry pets or inanimate objects then you would be totally wrong.

  4. #44
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not completely, no. State laws must abide by the 14th Amendment EPC. And yes that is used a lot to justify striking down state laws because many states have laws in place or have put laws in place that violate that clause because they can't seem to understand that the 14th Amendment is a limitation to states' rights in favor of individual citizens' rights.
    What is being applied in an unequal manner?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    A gay person has the same rights as I when deciding who to marry. Would you disagree?
    I disagree. If you're a heterosexual, you can marry who you are attracted to and love, assuming they feel the same. The homosexual person can't do the same. To see the discrimination you have to take your fingers out of your ears and listen.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #46
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    A gay person has the same rights as I when deciding who to marry. Would you disagree?
    My single sister does not have the same right you do. She cannot marry a woman only because she is a woman. You can marry a woman because you are a man. There is no legitimate government being furthered by not allowing my sister to marry a woman based solely on her sex/gender.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,440
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The States should be the only ones deciding...
    Don't get mortally wounded on vacation in a state that doesn't allow gay marriage.

    Your spouse will not be allowed in the ICU.

    Better yet, lets make truckers have a license for each state. Wouldn't want to impose on an indivduals states requirements.

    Of all the ridiculous nonsense....
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #48
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I disagree. If you're a heterosexual, you can marry who you are attracted to and love, assuming they feel the same. The homosexual person can't do the same. To see the discrimination you have to take your fingers out of your ears and listen.
    Why would one want to marry someone of the same sex
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, that has nothing to do with what you said.
    It has absolutely everything to do with what I said.

    Besides, you were the one making assumptions in the first place claiming "there is a process for that" - like that is something I didn't know.

  10. #50
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What is being applied in an unequal manner?
    Access to marriage. You can marry a woman but a woman cannot marry a woman only because of her gender/sex. That is gender discrimination and it is only in place due to animosity towards those who would want to marry someone of their own sex/gender. There is no state interest being furthered by not allowing two people of the same gender/sex to marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 5 of 159 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •