Page 20 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    DOMA violates the 14th Amendment, which provides equal protection under the law (some citizens can marry, while others cannot). If a state wants to create a law which has a negative affect on one group of people, the state must provide a valid reason. Also, the Full Faith and Credit Clause requires a state to honor a contract made in another state. The Due Process Clause prohibits states from violating the Full Faith and Credit Clause.

    There is a legal basis for same-sex marriage.
    DOMA violates the Fourteenth Amendment as much as me beating the **** out of Bill Ayers violates the Fourteenth Amendment. That or an Illegal being held at GETMO or profiled and deported...

  2. #192
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I didn't know the Federal government of the United States of America was responsible for defining words.... When did we steal that authority?
    What?



    What does that have to do with marriage licenses saying "marriage" right in the name as opposed to "civi union".
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #193
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post

    Furthermore, if you're a real libertarian where do you draw the line? what separates you from anarchists? there is only one answer to that and if you're a libertarian you will know the answer.

    Not being a libertarian myself, what is the answer?

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh hell, if there was some vagueness, nothing would ever have to go before the courts. Look how many times you guys have been wrong. Healthcare, wrong.

    Thats why the SCOTUS is nothing more than opinion based politics..... Not only that but the fact the SCOTUS has more power than the president...

    In short the US is being dictated by 9 politically motivated assclowns.

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Not being a libertarian myself, what is the answer?
    The Bill of Rights...

    Our first Ten Amendments.

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    In that narrow misleading dishonest way. Heterosexuals however can marry the ones the love, are attracted to. Being dishonest in how one frames it is not really a winning argument.
    Yeah.

    Why is the nanny state deciding what's "best" for people good in the case of gay marriage but not in other areas.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #197
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    DOMA violates the Fourteenth Amendment as much as me beating the **** out of Bill Ayers violates the Fourteenth Amendment. That or an Illegal being held at GETMO or profiled and deported...
    You're right. Much of what goes on at Guantanamo Bay is unconstitutional.

    And, so is saying that same-sex couples are not allowed to marry.

    What's your point?

  8. #198
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Thats why the SCOTUS is nothing more than opinion based politics..... Not only that but the fact the SCOTUS has more power than the president...

    In short the US is being dictated by 9 politically motivated assclowns.
    How convenient. Every time you're wrong, they suck.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #199
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why do you believe the government should be in the business of sanctioning and bestowing benefits for any relationship?
    Because they have done so for a very long time. They bestow benefits to children and to other blood relatives. They bestow recognition and legal preference to blood relations. Because of this, they also must have a way to bestow that preference to someone of a person's choice, rather than to family members that they simply have blood ties to.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    What?



    What does that have to do with marriage licenses saying "marriage" right in the name as opposed to "civi union".
    It's pretty simple - our government doesn't define words....

    Furthermore 50-years-ago marriage was a religious idea, seculars and progressives just jacked the word....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •