Page 151 of 159 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #1501
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Clear logic would tell you that the arguments in favor of the oxymoron called homosexual marriage attempt to establish marriage as an amorphous social contract and that welcomes all players.
    Um,you have it backwards (no surprise) in that the state is recognizing a right of an individual in SSM, whereas in the social contract the individual is accepting the loss of a right in exchange for some added protection by the state.

    Try again.


    Polygamy advocates are trembly pleased with the progress homosexuals have made in paving the way for them. Marriage; its not just for a man and a woman any more. Where it ends is anyone's guess but homosexuals aren't the only interested group.
    We have been over this just yesterday, the argument over allowing polygamy stems from a religious perspective, and the courts have long held that there is freedom of religious thought but not freedom of religious practices when it violates the rights of other (this, by the way, IS an example of the social contract in action). We already went over the many negative social impacts that bigamy and polygamy have, it is a dead argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #1502
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um,you have it backwards (no surprise) in that the state is recognizing a right of an individual in SSM, whereas in the social contract the individual is accepting the loss of a right in exchange for some added protection by the state.
    I'm arguing with a brick wall. The homosexual movement is, indeed, trying to turn marriage into an amorphous social contract. If you question how marriage can be a social contract, here, I'll help google that for you.

    https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...C4Ps8gSyt4DYAw
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #1503
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I'm arguing with a brick wall. The homosexual movement is, indeed, trying to turn marriage into an amorphous social contract. If you question how marriage can be a social contract, here, I'll help google that for you.

    https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...C4Ps8gSyt4DYAw
    You are using "social contract" in an archaic, long abandonned form. Civil marriage is a legal contract, and SSM is not trying to turn back the hands of time, in fact it is quite the opposite.

    A social contract as understood today is not how you were using it.

    Come, join us in the modern world.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #1504
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are using "social contract" in an archaic, long abandonned form. Civil marriage is a legal contract, and SSM is not trying to turn back the hands of time, in fact it is quite the opposite.

    A social contract as understood today is not how you were using it.

    Come, join us in the modern world.
    So you're reduced to quibbling over semantics. That amounts to conceding the debate. Have a nice day.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #1505
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I'm arguing with a brick wall. The homosexual movement is, indeed, trying to turn marriage into an amorphous social contract. If you question how marriage can be a social contract, here, I'll help google that for you.

    https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...C4Ps8gSyt4DYAw
    You are free to exercise marriage as you see fit. How one one else sees it is none of your business. So stop trying to read the minds of others and just worry about you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1506
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You are free to exercise marriage as you see fit. How one one else sees it is none of your business.
    It is absolutely the state's business and as part of the state it IS my business. You and your ilk want to make it YOUR business so you've got a lot of unwarranted moxy to pretend it's yours but not mine.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #1507
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    So you're reduced to quibbling over semantics. That amounts to conceding the debate. Have a nice day.
    If you think that argument only included a debate over definitions and did not include the aspect of how SSM is progression of civil law development....fine, show yourself as being blind to that.

    I'm good with that.

    Tah-tah.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #1508
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It is absolutely the state's business and as part of the state it IS my business. You and your ilk want to make it YOUR business so you've got a lot of unwarranted moxy to pretend it's yours but not mine.
    Actually it's neither. All the state has to do is not discriminate. Everyone honors and defines marriage for themselves. All I want is that equality. I won't tell you who you can marry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #1509
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually it's neither. All the state has to do is not discriminate. Everyone honors and defines marriage for themselves. All I want is that equality. I won't tell you who you can marry.
    The definition that counts is the state definition. Everyone may honor and define their RELATIONSHIP the way they want, but marriage is an established contract of law defined and managed by the state. You can get a Hopi Native American ceremony or some spiritualist union or just exchange vows of your own making with whomever you wish anywhere in this country and you can call that marriage and define it however you see fit. State sanctioned marriage, however, is what it is and it's the state's business to define it and manage it. Since the state has to deal with the legal implications all around from tax laws to property laws and child custody, the state rightfully defines the relationships it characterizes as suitable for sanctioned marriage.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #1510
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The definition that counts is the state definition. Everyone may honor and define their RELATIONSHIP the way they want, but marriage is an established contract of law defined and managed by the state. You can get a Hopi Native American ceremony or some spiritualist union or just exchange vows of your own making with whomever you wish anywhere in this country and you can call that marriage and define it however you see fit. State sanctioned marriage, however, is what it is and it's the state's business to define it and manage it. Since the state has to deal with the legal implications all around from tax laws to property laws and child custody, the state rightfully defines the relationships it characterizes as suitable for sanctioned marriage.
    And the state can't discriminate. See why you're losing yet?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •