Page 143 of 159 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #1421
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Non sequitur and a straw man, the topic is not incest.

    If you cannot comment on the topic, then you should leave.
    The argument was that if I can't explain how it affects me, then it should be legal. My rebuttal is that your argument is not valid and incest was the proof. It doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean it should be legal. Dog fighting doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean it should be legal. Homosexual marriage doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean it should be legal. See the pattern?

    But thank you for asking me to leave the discussion because you were too thick or dishonest to understand the rebuttal or acknowledge it. Yes, thanks but no thanks. I'll leave when I'm damned well good and ready.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #1422
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The argument was that if I can't explain how it affects me, then it should be legal.
    Do you know what straw argument is? Do you know what a false premise is? You must since you do it so much. It was not "it should be legal since it does not affect you, i simply asked how does it affect you, you changed the question.


    My rebuttal is that your argument is not valid and incest was the proof.
    You avoided the question with a non sequitur.

    It doesn't affect me.
    Now there is the answer, everything else is a distraction.


    That doesn't mean it should be legal. Dog fighting doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean it should be legal. Homosexual marriage doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean it should be legal. See the pattern?
    I see the pattern that you are continuing to use a false premise and straw argument.

    But thank you for asking me to leave the discussion because you were too thick or dishonest to understand the rebuttal or acknowledge it. Yes, thanks but no thanks. I'll leave when I'm damned well good and ready.
    I can understand why you are upset and have to rely on straw/false premises, it is the only way to win, by changing the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #1423
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,043

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I can't tell you how your marrying a goat would affect me, either but I don't think that's sufficient reason for the state to sanction goat marriage, either. I think it is incumbent upon the homosexuals to explain how their ability to marry furthers the goals if the state that marriage was created to further.
    The discussion is gay marriage, not incest or bestiality. Focus.

    So the victim is...?

  4. #1424
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The discussion is gay marriage, not incest or bestiality. Focus.

    So the victim is...?
    tradition.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #1425
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,043

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    tradition.
    I asked him for human victims, not abstract ones such as "freedom" or "religion" (and now "tradition").

  6. #1426
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The discussion is gay marriage, not incest or bestiality. Focus.

    So the victim is...?
    The state is not compelled to endorse someting merely because I am not victimized by it. Necrophelia, incest, polygamy and homosexuality are all examples of things that do not personally affect me. And they are all things that this state does not endorse through marriage. The fact that "the victim" is not clear to either you or me is not a mandate for state endorsement. If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

    I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #1427
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I asked him for human victims, not abstract ones such as "freedom" or "religion" (and now "tradition").
    You are a grumpy old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #1428
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,969

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I can't tell you how your marrying a goat would affect me, either but I don't think that's sufficient reason for the state to sanction goat marriage, either. I think it is incumbent upon the homosexuals to explain how their ability to marry furthers the goals if the state that marriage was created to further.
    A goat cannot enter into any legal contract and marriage is a legal contract. Both parties must be able to sign into a contract legally.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1429
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Do you know what straw argument is? Do you know what a false premise is? You must since you do it so much. It was not "it should be legal since it does not affect you, i simply asked how does it affect you, you changed the question.


    You avoided the question with a non sequitur.

    Now there is the answer, everything else is a distraction.


    I see the pattern that you are continuing to use a false premise and straw argument.

    I can understand why you are upset and have to rely on straw/false premises, it is the only way to win, by changing the question.
    I just cut to the chase on you, buddy. Your argument was, essentially, that if I can't produce a victim, then there should be no bar to making the state endorse it. That argument is bankrupt. If there was any other point to the question, go ahead and spit it out.

    Homosexual marriage would not affect me, personally.
    Someone marrying a goat would not affect me, personally.
    Polygamous marriages would not affect me, personally.
    You marrying your own mother would not affect me, personally.

    Now go ahead and tell me what the point of the question was?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #1430
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    A goat cannot enter into any legal contract and marriage is a legal contract. Both parties must be able to sign into a contract legally.
    Irrelevant. The argument was about "how it affects me". Your marrying a goat wouldn't affect me. So the point is?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •