Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    None. Same sex marriage is illegal, which puts it at a greater level of scrutiny for the states to defend their position on it furthering a state interest.

    And DOMA violates many Amendments/rights, for much the same reasons that the state anti-same sex marriage laws do.
    Gay marriage is NOT illegal - IN ANY STATE - reason? because there are no laws against gay marriage.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,423
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why should the government bestow benefits to an individual or couple because of their life choices?
    Were you forced to fall in love and marry your wife?

    If not, then it was a choice.

    Why do you get to choose your partner and someone else not?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Were you forced to fall in love and marry your wife?

    If not, then it was a choice.

    Why do you get to choose your partner and someone else not?
    In what universe are homosexual relationships illegal?

    You may have a point if our government were throwing people in jail for being involved in a homosexual relationship however I find your post to be dramatic.

  4. #104
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Then call your relationship a marriage. Just don't expect me to recognize it as such. Because THAT is not your right.
    Actually, yes it is a right to call a marriage a marriage.

    Just for the record, I am in a legal marriage to a man. I support the right of same sex couples to be able to enter into marriages just like I was able to do because there is no reason to deny them that.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #105
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Gay marriage is NOT illegal - IN ANY STATE - reason? because there are no laws against gay marriage.
    Same sex marriage is not recognized in 30 states at least. Yes, there are many state laws against two people of the same sex getting married and that is gender discrimination.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #106
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Were you forced to fall in love and marry your wife?

    If not, then it was a choice.

    Why do you get to choose your partner and someone else not?
    I would have married her whether or not there was a benefit. This is what most don't understand. Why do you think the government has any business bestowing benefits for acting in any manner?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #107
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Who the hell are you to say two loving and willing people cant marry??? Sounds familiar to your argument right? I suppose it is a different story when you have an opinion on marriage?
    Non sequitur. We see time and time again that polygamous and incestual relationships do not involve consenting adults in non-abusive relationships. We see that throughout history and even today. And those who violate the rights of others, do not deserve to have the ability to marry. Should, let's say, there be such a relationship that falls into one of those categories that is not abusive, is between consenting persons, and involves those who have reach an age of majority -- perhaps that should become a discussion that society ought to have. However, that has nothing to do with this discussion right now.

  8. #108
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    if were are looking at DOMA itself...no it does not.


    Article. IV.

    Section. 1.

    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
    It violates plenty of other rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Same sex marriage is not recognized in 30 states at least. Yes, there are many state laws against two people of the same sex getting married and that is gender discrimination.
    Prove it...

    List citations instead of "claiming" X,Y and Z...

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, yes it is a right to call a marriage a marriage.

    Just for the record, I am in a legal marriage to a man. I support the right of same sex couples to be able to enter into marriages just like I was able to do because there is no reason to deny them that.
    Andnit is your right to recognize their relationship any way you want. But it is not your right to force me to recognize it the same way.

Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •