Page 103 of 159 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1585

Thread: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

  1. #1021
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I agree that it has morphed into something else, which is why states are starting to legislate it differently. It was, however, created for the sake of procreation. The argument that gay marriages don't advance the intentions and will of the state for the purpose of marriage as it was created are still valid for states that argue that point. This is why there was no victory of state law in the Supreme Court yesterday. Homosexual marriage is not yet an automatic right because marriage hasn't been completely removed from it's purpose and design yet. We're getting there. I imagine marriage will lose all traces of it's original purpose very soon.
    What it currently is by law in all states at this time is what matters. And that will be what matters in future court cases that are highly likely to bring down same sex marriage bans because no current state laws can logically be interpreted to have procreation as a legitimate requirement of marriage and therefore it cannot legitimately be used to restrict marriage from those who can't procreate.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #1022
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You don't NEED marriage to procreate....and many people MARRY who cannot procreate or don't choose to do so. There is a good reason by the opponents of marriage equality chose not to make silly arguments based on procreation. They knew that they would be shot down by the Supreme Court quicker than they could make them.
    You can call it a silly argument, but it's a fact that marriage was designed to create a suitable environment for procreation and support of that family Like I said before, the fact that procreation is not a condition of marriage does not refute the fact that it was the purpose of marriage. Nor does the fact that people have children out of wedlock refute that fact. Again, as I said before, there was a time not so long ago that having a child out of wedlock was a horrible disgrace and having a marriage with no children... a great pain and personal embarrassment. Childless marriages were not something to be proud of.

    Homosexuals might not be willing to admit these facts since they run counter to their agenda, but denying the facts doesn't make the facts go away or render them false. All it does is demonstrate an utter contempt for honesty by advocates of homosexuality.

  3. #1023
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You can call it a silly argument, but it's a fact that marriage was designed to create a suitable environment for procreation and support of that family Like I said before, the fact that procreation is not a condition of marriage does not refute the fact that it was the purpose of marriage. Nor does the fact that people have children out of wedlock refute that fact. Again, as I said before, there was a time not so long ago that having a child out of wedlock was a horrible disgrace and having a marriage with no children... a great pain and personal embarrassment. Childless marriages were not something to be proud of.

    Homosexuals might not be willing to admit these facts since they run counter to their agenda, but denying the facts doesn't make the facts go away or render them false. All it does is demonstrate an utter contempt for honesty by advocates of homosexuality.
    If you dont want to get gay married why not just not get gay married?

    What harm is someone else's gay marriage do to you?

  4. #1024
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You can call it a silly argument, but it's a fact that marriage was designed to create a suitable environment for procreation and support of that family Like I said before, the fact that procreation is not a condition of marriage does not refute the fact that it was the purpose of marriage. Nor does the fact that people have children out of wedlock refute that fact. Again, as I said before, there was a time not so long ago that having a child out of wedlock was a horrible disgrace and having a marriage with no children... a great pain and personal embarrassment. Childless marriages were not something to be proud of.

    Homosexuals might not be willing to admit these facts since they run counter to their agenda, but denying the facts doesn't make the facts go away or render them false. All it does is demonstrate an utter contempt for honesty by advocates of homosexuality.
    The very fact that childless marriages were "not something to be proud of", is something that we or whoever felt that way should not be proud of. That belief that childless couples deserve to feel shame or embarrassment for not having children is horrible and shameful itself.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1025
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What it currently is by law in all states at this time is what matters. And that will be what matters in future court cases that are highly likely to bring down same sex marriage bans because no current state laws can logically be interpreted to have procreation as a legitimate requirement of marriage and therefore it cannot legitimately be used to restrict marriage from those who can't procreate.
    You are wrong. While the homosexual agenda is being pushed forward by insisting that tradition is meaningless, the origins and purposes of things are important when considering what is right and what is not going forward with them. Why marriage was created and the purpose of marriage in the first place should be a consideration in determining what marriage should or shouldn't be going forward and this new trend is a complete breakdown of the entire purpose of marriage. I have no doubt that in another generation, marriage will be seen as something completely different than we saw it 20 years ago, but it's going to take time to legislate the changes and legislation is the right way to go about such an important change to the fabric of our society as cutting marriage off from it's purpose and intent, divorcing it, so to speak, from it's actual reason for being.

  6. #1026
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The very fact that childless marriages were "not something to be proud of", is something that we or whoever felt that way should not be proud of. That belief that childless couples deserve to feel shame or embarrassment for not having children is horrible and shameful itself.
    True, but it goes to show the roots and purpose of marriage. It really was all about procreation. You don't have to like the truth for it to be the truth.

  7. #1027
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    True, but it goes to show the roots and purpose of marriage. It really was all about procreation. You don't have to like the truth for it to be the truth.
    Procreation is why interracial marriage was banned?

  8. #1028
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You are wrong. While the homosexual agenda is being pushed forward by insisting that tradition is meaningless, the origins and purposes of things are important when considering what is right and what is not going forward with them. Why marriage was created and the purpose of marriage in the first place should be a consideration in determining what marriage should or shouldn't be going forward and this new trend is a complete breakdown of the entire purpose of marriage. I have no doubt that in another generation, marriage will be seen as something completely different than we saw it 20 years ago, but it's going to take time to legislate the changes and legislation is the right way to go about such an important change to the fabric of our society as cutting marriage off from it's purpose and intent, divorcing it, so to speak, from it's actual reason for being.
    No, they aren't. What is important is that people who want to be together and who want protection from the government as a married couple, legally recognized as spouses get that option. It is wrong to limit marriage to procreating couples because there is no reason to do this. Legal marriage is for the adults in the marriage, not mainly for the children. Children, any children whether bio children or not, benefit from the legal marriage recognition of their parents/those raising them, but that doesn't mean that marriage is required to raise children well, nor that children are required for a marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1029
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    True, but it goes to show the roots and purpose of marriage. It really was all about procreation. You don't have to like the truth for it to be the truth.
    If it was shameful, then it needed to be changed, as it has, and shows that those roots, no matter either our beliefs on them truly, were not noble and need not be considered valid in this argument.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1030
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Awaiting the Supreme Court's gay marriage decisions [W:641]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Your gayness is showing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

    Marriage is a sanctioned partnership for heterosexuals. "Breeders" as homosexuals like to call them. (also known to homosexuals as "straights", like you seem to prefer calling them).

    Homosexuality is the "alternative lifestyle". An alternative to marriage seems entirely appropriate.
    The entirety of this post is an ad hom with no substance and a lot of unsupported assertions and falsehoods. I don't see the point in taking it seriously, to be honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Sorry my little gay friend, but the rest of the supreme court did not make a statement showing their stupidity or dishonesty and claim that marriage was NOT designed to support procreation. Only homosexuals are making that argument.
    Au contraire, the court opinion states that

    "By history and tradition the definition and regulation of marriage has been treated as being within the authority and realm of the separate States".

    and describes marriage as being wanted so that people could "affirm their commitment to one another". It summarises gay marriage, when permitted by NYC, as:

    "For same-sex couples who wished to be married, the State acted to give their lawful conduct a lawful status. This status is a far-reaching legal acknowledgment of the intimate relationship between two people, a relationship deemed by the State worthy of dignity in the community equal with all other marriages. It reflects both the community’s considered perspective on the historical roots of the institution of marriage and its evolving understanding of the meaning of equality"

    In fact, Alito agrees with me. He references both views of marriage - the 'traditional' view which you are insisting is the only one, and the 'consent-based' view, which is gender-unbiased. He then goes on to say that "Windsor and the United States implicitly ask us to endorse the consent-based view of marriage and to reject the traditional view" - in other words, he thinks that the Majority opinion is an implicit endorsement of a view of marriage which you refuse to admit exists, except for as a homosexual ploy.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •