Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 576

Thread: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

  1. #251
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Health care has been an issue for as long as I can remember. Those who don't want reform have always done a good job of demonizing and making sure nothing gets done. As bad as this effort is, it's the first cement forward I can remember. Well see how it plays out.
    Opening the market so that all providers of insurance could offer their plans in all areas of the country, and putting the boot on the neck of ambulance chasing parasites that bring an overload of frivolous cases for malpractice designed to soak the insurance company instead of addressing real malpractice all for the sake of enrichment is the problem, and a good place to start. Not this....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #252
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Opening the market so that all providers of insurance could offer their plans in all areas of the country, and putting the boot on the neck of ambulance chasing parasites that bring an overload of frivolous cases for malpractice designed to soak the insurance company instead of addressing real malpractice all for the sake of enrichment is the problem, and a good place to start. Not this....
    Credit cad offers across state lines didn't get us lower interest rates. Companies just flock to whichever state has laws that let them screw you harder.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #253
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    A new 253-page Obamacare rule issued late Friday requires state, federal and local agencies as well as health insurers to swap the protected personal health information of anybody seeking to join the new health care program that will be enforced by the Internal Revenue Service.

    Personal health information, or PHI, is highly protected under federal law, but the latest ruling from the Department of Health and Human Services allows agencies to trade the information to verify that Obamacare applicants are getting the minimum amount of health insurance coverage they need from the health "exchanges."

    The ruling, explained on pages 72-73 of the book-thick guidance, does not mention any requirement that applicants first OK the release of their PHI. HHS already allows some exchange of PHI without an individual's pre-approval, especially when for a "government program providing public benefits." Officials said the swapping of information is simply meant to help figure the best insurance coverge of Obamacare users.

    PHI includes an individual's medical history, test and laboratory results, insurance information and other data.

    The new rule said that appropriate privacy laws will be followed.

    "The exchange would submit specific identifying information to HHS and HHS would verify applicant information with information from the federal and state agencies or programs that provide eligibility and enrollment information regarding minimum essential coverage. Such agencies or programs may include but are not limited to Veterans Health Administration, TRICARE, and Medicare," said the new rule, which HHS is seeking public comment on.
    Obamacare will share personal health info with federal, state agencies | WashingtonExaminer.com

    big brother observes, big brother blabs

  4. #254
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    A two thousand door deductible is nothing compared to how high medical bills can get in catastrophic circumstances.

  5. #255
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense, can you show me in the law where any of the providers as the current law is written, states that they must reign in costs? We see wild swings for the same things like that $16 band aid, or a surgical procedure from one hospital to another, but nothing in the ACA says that has to change....
    Must? Not there. It's encouraged. But if I accept your argument, then I must conclude you think providers are greedy bastards who really just want to gorge folks. If he reason for the over charging is gone, what other reason would you give for it?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Opening the market so that all providers of insurance could offer their plans in all areas of the country, and putting the boot on the neck of ambulance chasing parasites that bring an overload of frivolous cases for malpractice designed to soak the insurance company instead of addressing real malpractice all for the sake of enrichment is the problem, and a good place to start. Not this....
    It doesn't work that way. Open it up, the reasons why some are higher will bleed into the others, making all of them higher. Just like with tort reform, many simply mistaken the likely effect. I gave you links on that years ago. Nt sure why we keep revisiting it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    yesterday:

    Democratic Congressman: 'Not Fair' To Subject Congress To Obamacare Just Like Everyone Else - Forbes

    john larson, CT, is #4 in house leadership, chair of the caucus

    "it's simply not fair," he complains

    he should know

    april 24: Lawmakers, aides seek Obamacare exemption - POLITICO.com

  8. #258
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Must? Not there.
    So then, why would you put forth this premise?

    Our ad hoc system has no real control, so the costs, that sixteen dollar bandaid, hiked to cover those who don't pay, is arbitrary in the sense that no one knows if it has to be that much to cover the costs. Once they no longer have to do that, we can see better what healthcare actually costs.
    So, you say that the ACA will 'control' costs, because you think that everyone will be forced to carry insurance so that the costs of things like band aid's in hospitals will no longer have to be inflated to cover those without insurance that don't pay, yet when called on that statement you play like you never said anything of the kind, and admit that it is not in the ACA to do that....

    It's encouraged.
    It is? where?

    But if I accept your argument, then I must conclude you think providers are greedy bastards who really just want to gorge folks.
    In some cases I guess they very well could be "greedy bastards", but I never said that. I mean there is probably some of that when a surgical procedure in one hospital costs $7000. and down the road 10 mi. the same procedure cost $52,000. You tell me.

    But I don't think that this bill does anything to seriously address that problem, and isn't meant to...That isn't the purpose of the law.

    If he reason for the over charging is gone, what other reason would you give for it?
    I am not a health care professional, even though I have a family member that is, and my daughter is in nursing school now....But I do know that you are making the mistake of "either/or" thinking.
    ===============================
    On opening up markets:

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    It doesn't work that way.
    It doesn't? Tell me how health care is different from any other service that makes it not susceptible to market forces?

    Open it up, the reasons why some are higher will bleed into the others, making all of them higher.
    This runs contrary to free markets, and what we know to be the truth in how it works from experience in this country...So, I would have to ask that you prove this ridiculous statement.

    Just like with tort reform, many simply mistaken the likely effect.
    So, more choice, and less legal thievery will not bring down costs? You make no sense.

    I gave you links on that years ago. Nt sure why we keep revisiting it.
    I gave you links showing you to be wrong years ago. Not sure why you continue to keep taking this absurd line of thinking.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #259
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Credit cad offers across state lines didn't get us lower interest rates. Companies just flock to whichever state has laws that let them screw you harder.
    That's nonsense...Do the credit card companies force you to retain, and use their product?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #260
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    A two thousand door deductible is nothing compared to how high medical bills can get in catastrophic circumstances.
    I don't know how much money you have laying around, but many more people in this country live week, to week, and don't have that kind of money. So, I would say nice of you to be so flip with others circumstances....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •