Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 236

Thread: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

  1. #221
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    Nothing racist about wondering if a Mexican-looking kid was chosen to sing our national anthem while millions of illegal immigrants are in the process of being rewarded for breaking into our country, marching down our streets with their flags, demanding that we speak their language, educate their children and cut them welfare checks...all while smearing anyone who objects as a bigot.

    Seriously, lay down this mindless, hysterical race-card. You have UTTERLY overplayed and discredited it at this point and it carries ZERO weight.
    Hm...feelings of prejudice, discrimination, and hostility toward a group that arise as a result of perceived competition over limited resources and competing goals.

    You are a walking example of Realistic conflict theory.

    Realistic conflict theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I don't like it when people play the race card, but I find it considerably less flattering when people play the nationality card. Just being an American does not entitle you to feel superior to any group of people or to disregard all their individual differences and circumstances for the ease of regarding them as all the same. That kind of categorization is on par with the popular stereotypes that the American people are just a bunch of materialistic, obese, violent, reckless, and incredibly arrogant folk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #222
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    Nothing racist about wondering if a Mexican-looking kid was chosen to sing our national anthem while millions of illegal immigrants are in the process of being rewarded for breaking into our country, marching down our streets with their flags, demanding that we speak their language, educate their children and cut them welfare checks...all while smearing anyone who objects as a bigot.

    Seriously, lay down this mindless, hysterical race-card. You have UTTERLY overplayed and discredited it at this point and it carries ZERO weight.
    Claiming the boy's selection to sign the national anthem is based on an illegal immigration agenda because he's "Mexican looking" is as flimsy as saying criticisms of the president is based in racism because he's black.

    Really, it's pretty silly, especially after hearing the performance the kid gave, demonstrating his immense talent which is much more likely the reason he got the job. Focusing on race at every opportunity doesn't serve anyone.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #223
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Hm...feelings of prejudice, discrimination, and hostility toward a group that arise as a result of perceived competition over limited resources and competing goals.

    You are a walking example of Realistic conflict theory.

    Realistic conflict theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I don't like it when people play the race card, but I find it considerably less flattering when people play the nationality card. Just being an American does not entitle you to feel superior to any group of people or to disregard all their individual differences and circumstances for the ease of regarding them as all the same. That kind of categorization is on par with the popular stereotypes that the American people are just a bunch of materialistic, obese, violent, reckless, and incredibly arrogant folk.
    I don't see how this applies.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Claims were posted that the majority of those tweeting about Sebastien de la Cruz were actually African American - the compilation at Public Shaming seems to show otherwise

    http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post...n-american-boy

    That site posts the actual words so some here might get offended if they click the link and read those naughty words
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    08-16-13 @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    970

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments - CNN.com <-- clicky
    IMO this "story" is emblematic of what our "news media" has become. Blogger locates 20 something users of twitter expressing idiocy. Within ten hours the "story" that 20 something morons were doing what morons do, is one of the TOP stories on the 24/7 news grind. The mayor of the city feels compelled to comment on it, and it becomes the fodder of Facebook and forums like this. The blogger and media whores laugh all the way to the bank.

    The only upside is that this fine young man gets some national exposure and love that was already evident before the blogger found his golden hook.



    Here's video:



    It's embarrassing to be an American sometimes.....
    IMO this "story" is emblematic of what our "news media" has become. Blogger locates 20 something users of twitter expressing idiocy. Within ten hours the "story" that 20 something morons were doing what morons do, is one of the TOP stories on the 24/7 news grind. The mayor of the city feels compelled to comment on it, and it becomes the fodder of Facebook and forums like this. The blogger and media whores laugh all the way to the bank.

    The only upside is that this fine young man gets some national exposure and love that was already evident before the blogger found his golden hook.

  6. #226
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    I don't see how this applies.
    Let me simplify it for you with a South Park mannerism.

    "They took our jobs!"

    Prejudice that springs from intergroup conflict over scarce resources. That is all it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #227
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Let me simplify it for you with a South Park mannerism.

    "They took our jobs!"

    Prejudice that springs from intergroup conflict over scarce resources. That is all it is.
    Sure, but he didn't say that. He also didn't say that he was superior. What he said was, in my opinion, ignorant, but don't put words in his mouth.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  8. #228
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    There weren't "wondering" in their comments aquapub, they were assuming. All brown people are illegals = racism, or at least xenophobia.

    BTW, weight is the word for which you were looking.
    What about white hispanics? Is it ok to wonder about their immigration status?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #229
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,450

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Hm...feelings of prejudice, discrimination, and hostility toward a group that arise as a result of perceived competition over limited resources and competing goals.

    You are a walking example of Realistic conflict theory.

    Realistic conflict theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I don't like it when people play the race card, but I find it considerably less flattering when people play the nationality card. Just being an American does not entitle you to feel superior to any group of people or to disregard all their individual differences and circumstances for the ease of regarding them as all the same. That kind of categorization is on par with the popular stereotypes that the American people are just a bunch of materialistic, obese, violent, reckless, and incredibly arrogant folk.
    Liberals consider themselves to be superior to anyone that isn't a Leftist/Liberal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #230
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Liberals consider themselves to be superior to anyone that isn't a Leftist/Liberal.
    So...you consider yourself superior because you are not a Leftist/Liberal?

    I'm a centrist, libertarian. Where do I rank?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •