Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 236

Thread: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I don't assume every Hispanic is an illegal immigrant. But probably tells me that most illegal immigrants are Hispanic.
    Yes, but people shouldn't just go around making false accusations. Illegal immigration is a serious crime (or SHOULD be). I totally understand the concern about illegal immigration, but still to think that any Hispanic is a possible illegal immigrant without ever even speaking to that person is kind of jumping to conclusions.

  2. #162
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but people shouldn't just go around making false accusations. Illegal immigration is a serious crime (or SHOULD be). I totally understand the concern about illegal immigration, but still to think that any Hispanic is a possible illegal immigrant without ever even speaking to that person is kind of jumping to conclusions.
    Yeah, but we're overthinking this situation. Anyone with half a brain and any access to the internet could find out within seconds that this kid is in fact a US citizen as are his parents. There will always been a few folks chiming in with stupid comments that bear little relation to reality for just about anything - welcome to the human race.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, but people shouldn't just go around making false accusations. Illegal immigration is a serious crime (or SHOULD be). I totally understand the concern about illegal immigration, but still to think that any Hispanic is a possible illegal immigrant without ever even speaking to that person is kind of jumping to conclusions.
    Just by laws of probability a vast majority of those suspected of being illegal immigrants will be Latinos. We shouldn't have to change our laws because only one demographic is breaking them.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Just by laws of probability a vast majority of those suspected of being illegal immigrants will be Latinos. We shouldn't have to change our laws because only one demographic is breaking them.
    What does that have to do with people assuming that the little boy or other Hispanic people are in the country illegally? Especially when you know absolutely nothing about that person.

    For the record, I have always been for checking on the immigration status of criminals or people who come into contact with the police, but now that I've witnessed some of the things that people have said about this boy simply because of his darker colored skin, I can understand how others would be concerned about the harassment of innocent people.

    I was always thinking that people (and especially hopefully the police) would exercise a little bit of common sense and NOT harass innocent people without probable cause.

    And yes, this little boy should be receiving praise (like all children when they do something positive) and not having to be the brunt of other people's ignorance. I actually feel sorry for him. This must just suck all the pride and good feelings out of him.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What does that have to do with people assuming that the little boy or other Hispanic people are in the country illegally? Especially when you know absolutely nothing about that person.

    For the record, I have always been for checking on the immigration status of criminals or people who come into contact with the police, but now that I've witnessed some of the things that people have said about this boy simply because of his darker colored skin, I can understand how others would be concerned about the harassment of innocent people.

    I was always thinking that people (and especially hopefully the police) would exercise a little bit of common sense and NOT harass innocent people without probable cause.

    And yes, this little boy should be receiving praise (like all children when they do something positive) and not having to be the brunt of other people's ignorance. I actually feel sorry for him. This must just suck all the pride and good feelings out of him.
    I just ignore people who are complaining about that. I just assume either they were making a joke, or they are ignorant idiots. What I'm talking about, is the bigger issue about immigration, intentional obstructionism about solving the issue of immigration for political reasons. I'm not saying their statements are okay, but I'm positive there would be a lot less hostility to Latinos in general if illegal immigration weren't such a huge problem in our country.

  6. #166
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What does that have to do with people assuming that the little boy or other Hispanic people are in the country illegally? Especially when you know absolutely nothing about that person.

    For the record, I have always been for checking on the immigration status of criminals or people who come into contact with the police, but now that I've witnessed some of the things that people have said about this boy simply because of his darker colored skin, I can understand how others would be concerned about the harassment of innocent people.

    I was always thinking that people (and especially hopefully the police) would exercise a little bit of common sense and NOT harass innocent people without probable cause.

    And yes, this little boy should be receiving praise (like all children when they do something positive) and not having to be the brunt of other people's ignorance. I actually feel sorry for him. This must just suck all the pride and good feelings out of him.
    I agree with most of what you say here but can easily understand the folks who speak before they check on this one (not agree with, just understand). The kid walks like a duck and quacks like a duck in all his performances, even though he's not a duck. If you had seen the kid introduced on America's Got Talent, and viewed all his performances, he has an overriding Mexican theme about him. The music, the dress and even the language he performs in.

    However, as I stated, though I can understand how some might get the first impression he is not a citizen, or that his family aren't - it's an impression that can be easily check in a matter of seconds. The check reveals first impressions to be wrong in this case. Those who vented their first impressions on this one have egg all over their faces right now, rightfully so.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I just ignore people who are complaining about that. I just assume either they were making a joke, or they are ignorant idiots. What I'm talking about, is the bigger issue about immigration, intentional obstructionism about solving the issue of immigration for political reasons. I'm not saying their statements are okay, but I'm positive there would be a lot less hostility to Latinos in general if illegal immigration weren't such a huge problem in our country.
    That might be true for a lot of people. Can't say for sure though.

  8. #168
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    We should never militantly obsess over race to such a level of absolute hysteria that any and every issue can be race-baited into a controversy, which is what is happening here. Americans are right to wonder if this is another attempt to shove Mexico down our throats. It happens non-stop.
    OMG, NOOO.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #169
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    I'm not. I didn't post this article. I just read everyone acting all aghast that a handful of blacks (i.e., Democrat voters) jumped to a conclusion. I'm just explaining that these guys aren't the freaking anti-Christ. We're under attack. People are going to be a little sensitive and over-react. And again, I'm not actually sure that he is an American citizen, at least according to the author of the 14th Amendment.
    Oh the irony......now you are blaming it on blacks. What is it about the color of people's skin that affects you so negatively?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #170
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Mexican-American boy's national anthem sparks racist comments

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    It just means you're a RINO. Newsflash: Only leftists play the race card incessantly an think they have "debated."
    LOL....you are the one playing the race card more than anyone on this thread.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •