Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92

Thread: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

  1. #31
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    As if she had to defend her actions:



    Sans her gun, we'd be reading a very different story about Gram and her 85-year-old husband.

    If we're going to report horror stories, we need to report when the good guys win. Thoughts?
    Hell yeah! Go granny, GO!

    (But she could use a little target practice if you ask me.)

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #32
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    To balance the books, and to meet court mandates to relieve overcrowding, Governor Brown has forced the transfer of crimminals from state prisons to county prisons. Already suffering significant budget deficits, the counties have been releasing hardcore criminals back onto the streets.

    The bottom line is that preserve the pay and benefits of public employees, and to do a smoke and mirror job on the budget deficits, liberal/progressives who control the state prefer felons be on the street, rather than have citizens protected.
    You are so wrong it isn't even funny. Hard core criminals are not beling released to the streets due to preserving the pay and benefits of public employees...that is just plain and simply a ridiculous statement that overlooks the effects that California initiatives have had on our prisons. The main reason that our prisons have become so overcrowded in California is due to the implementation of the 3X law. California took a huge step forward in aleviating the problems that it created, when last November the voters voted for a modification of the 3X law. There is currently a proposal before the legislature to make simple drug possession a "wobbler" which means it could be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. Currently, with the exception of MJ, simply possession is a straight felony. The vast majority of people in prison are there, not a violent and/or serious offenses, but rather on minor offenses like drug offenses. Passing the legislation is both smart and will be further effective in bringing down the prison population. It also has the effect of ensuring that repeat offenders, including repeat drug offender can continue to receive state prison sentences that can actually be served.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #33
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are so wrong it isn't even funny. Hard core criminals are not beling released to the streets due to preserving the pay and benefits of public employees...that is just plain and simply a ridiculous statement that overlooks the effects that California initiatives have had on our prisons. The main reason that our prisons have become so overcrowded in California is due to the implementation of the 3X law. California took a huge step forward in aleviating the problems that it created, when last November the voters voted for a modification of the 3X law. There is currently a proposal before the legislature to make simple drug possession a "wobbler" which means it could be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. Currently, with the exception of MJ, simply possession is a straight felony. The vast majority of people in prison are there, not a violent and/or serious offenses, but rather on minor offenses like drug offenses. Passing the legislation is both smart and will be further effective in bringing down the prison population. It also has the effect of ensuring that repeat offenders, including repeat drug offender can continue to receive state prison sentences that can actually be served.
    Actually, I am so right it's not funny. However, I appreciate your agenda based take on the matter.

    Fact are facts:

    California Now Freeing Violent Inmates To Save Money

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Inmates convicted of violent crimes are among those being freed early from California jails to save money, despite lawmakers' promises that they would exclude most dangerous prisoners and sex offenders.

  4. #34
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    As if she had to defend her actions:



    Sans her gun, we'd be reading a very different story about Gram and her 85-year-old husband.

    If we're going to report horror stories, we need to report when the good guys win. Thoughts?
    you know what i can not understand is, the man, is containing to break into the house, even though the home owner it alerted to his present, and the dog is barking feverishly.

    you would think the man, would get the hell out of there before the gun was fired.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Your argument is just as silly as the argument that you claim you have heard liberals make. Both of them are ridiculous.
    It might be silly but it's still a commonly made allegation against conservatives.

  6. #36
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Actually, I am so right it's not funny. However, I appreciate your agenda based take on the matter.

    Fact are facts:

    California Now Freeing Violent Inmates To Save Money

    SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Inmates convicted of violent crimes are among those being freed early from California jails to save money, despite lawmakers' promises that they would exclude most dangerous prisoners and sex offenders.
    The article that you linked doesn't even come close to support the ridiculous claims you made in your previous post. Prisoners are not being released due to high public employee pensions etc...that it a ridiculous claim. Prisoners are being released due to overcrowding that has occurred directly as a result of the implementation of the 3X law. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the exponential growth in prison population since the implementation of the law. That is exactly why efforts are being made to modify the law. Also, the article states that violent offenders are SOME among the 1800 prisoners released by the early release program, not exactly the claim of the headline or the argument that you are floundering to make.
    You are right about one thing.....facts are facts. Its simply that the facts don't support your assertions.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #37
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    It might be silly but it's still a commonly made allegation against conservatives.
    I've never heard that allegation made against conservatives....and I'll say it again.....it is is made, it is just as silly as your contention. Both are statements made by people trying to politicize the issue and failing poorly in their attempt.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #38
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you know what i can not understand is, the man, is containing to break into the house, even though the home owner it alerted to his present, and the dog is barking feverishly.

    you would think the man, would get the hell out of there before the gun was fired.
    I firmly believe this man (who lived in a half-way house nearby) targeted this elderly family -- because I agree with you. Continuing in the face of a big-assed barking dog makes no sense.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    My first instinct is to commend this women and her not only owning but using a gun to defend herself. Then I think, what if I lived next door and someone was shooting wildly at a potential intruder. JMO but most people should have shotguns for home defense in urban settings, you have a better chance of hitting your target and not hitting someone in bed next door.

  10. #40
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The article that you linked doesn't even come close to support the ridiculous claims you made in your previous post. Prisoners are not being released due to high public employee pensions etc...that it a ridiculous claim. Prisoners are being released due to overcrowding that has occurred directly as a result of the implementation of the 3X law. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the exponential growth in prison population since the implementation of the law. That is exactly why efforts are being made to modify the law. Also, the article states that violent offenders are SOME among the 1800 prisoners released by the early release program, not exactly the claim of the headline or the argument that you are floundering to make.
    You are right about one thing.....facts are facts. Its simply that the facts don't support your assertions.
    Of couse you think that. You are welcome to your fantasy.

    I understand you want to excuse those busted for breaking the law, even though they knew 3X and you're out. Radical libs have many excuses for stupidity.

    However, the fact are the prisons are overcrowded because the state can't afford to build more because they have been running massive deficits. The state can't afford to house them, so to balance the budget and pretend they are fiscally responsible, ProgLibs in Sacramento shipped criminals out to the counties, who suffer from the same public employee union scams. The counties have no choice but to sick the criminals on the innocent public.

    That's a fact.

    Toke it up for all I care, but all you're doing is drowning your opinion in bong water.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •