Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

  1. #21
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Revolvers are nice. My primary carry gun is a revolver (with 2 speed loaders). HOWEVER, she's fortunate that there was a single intruder and that the one shot scared him enough to stop his advance. When I go into more urban areas I don't carry the revolver. I carry my Smith & Wesson M&P9 semi-auto and AT LEAST one additional magazine. In the rare circumstance that I have to go into a bad enough areas I'll carry BOTH guns and the additional ammo.

    Shotguns have their advantages. Not terribly concealable and not covered by most CCW laws for carry on the street, but in home defense they are useful. HOWEVER, you do not EVER shoot to wound. If you need to fire it is with the intent to KILL. If you aren't in a position to need to KILL, then you don't pull out the gun in the first place.
    If she made a mistake, it was in not emptying her gun, in my opinion. I wouldn't have had the confidence she did that my one shot would stop him.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #22
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    If California cannot afford to house all their prisoners, then instead of releasing them, they should dedicate more tax dollars to the task or kill them in the order of severity of the crime. Releasing doesn't sounds like a helpful option for anyone except the prisoner.

  3. #23
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If she made a mistake, it was in not emptying her gun, in my opinion. I wouldn't have had the confidence she did that my one shot would stop him.
    A .357 is a pretty stout gun and not all that easy to handle. Certainly, however, there was no doubt in the home robber's mind that he was been targeted by BIG gun. The noise alone would have told him that.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #24
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    On a side note, is anyone else tied of reading stories about repeat offender criminals?

    Maybe it's time we start having a discussion as to whether our sentences are too lenient.
    It's not about crime. It's about control and spite. They want to demonize gun owners to disarm us. They don't give a rats ass about crime. If they did they would be addressing it and not useless gun laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #25
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    It's not about crime. It's about control and spite. They want to demonize gun owners to disarm us. They don't give a rats ass about crime. If they did they would be addressing it and not useless gun laws.
    Conspiracy: I would also argue that when the dollar collapses (mathematical certainty) they want us disarmed for easier population control.

    Beyond that they want a servile population whose God is the state, which an armed populace will resist. Basically force us to rely on them rather than ourselves. (security being the primary reliance)

  6. #26
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    Conspiracy: I would also argue that when the dollar collapses (mathematical certainty) they want us disarmed for easier population control.

    Beyond that they want a servile population whose God is the state, which an armed populace won't accept.
    I don't know about the conspiracy aspect, but yes it would make for easier population control. I think it is however not a governmental conspiracy, just a side affect of those wanting no guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If she made a mistake, it was in not emptying her gun, in my opinion. I wouldn't have had the confidence she did that my one shot would stop him.
    No. Actually controlled fire is always a better option that "unloading the farm" on an attacker. The chances of hitting a bystander go up and your accuracy goes down with the "spray and pray" mentality. It also looks much worse in court for you to just hose down an area rather than being able to show controlled, thoughful action.

    Her mistake was missing the target.

  8. #28
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    491

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I don't know about the conspiracy aspect, but yes it would make for easier population control. I think it is however not a governmental conspiracy, just a side affect of those wanting no guns.
    Yes, I would agree. The primary reasoning is something I formerly subscribed to: guns are bad, there is no reason for them.

    Reality sunk in as I grew up though Criminals WILL have guns regardless.

    The conspiracy part is more like 'logical deduction' using current events and history. (and the dollar collapse is a certainty, given the printing / economic disparity / rise of cheap labor)

  9. #29
    Student braymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Last Seen
    04-22-15 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    173

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    As if she had to defend her actions:



    Sans her gun, we'd be reading a very different story about Gram and her 85-year-old husband.

    If we're going to report horror stories, we need to report when the good guys win. Thoughts?
    I think she did right! Nothing wrong with protecting herself and her husband who uses a wheelchair.

  10. #30
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Grandma, 72, shoots at home intruder in California, defends actions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Does it not stand to reason that liberals wanted her and her husband to die?

    I mean, I feel like I'm constantly reading liberals accusing conservatives of wanting children to die because they support the Second Amendment. Shouldn't the opposite be true?
    Your argument is just as silly as the argument that you claim you have heard liberals make. Both of them are ridiculous.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •