Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 368

Thread: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

  1. #31
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You're pretty sure, are you? Based on what?
    When I see my mom's Medicare bills, and I see chest x-rays charged at $24 and read for $9 -- and then I see my own private healthcare insurance come through at $150 and $75? I'm pretty sure based on personal observation. Or an established Medicare patient's doctor being reimbursed just $20 for an office visit while my insurance company reimburses at $60? Same thing.

    Table I: 2011 National Medicare Fee Schedule | American College of Rheumatology | ACR
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    When I see my mom's Medicare bills, and I see chest x-rays charged at $24 and read for $9 -- and then I see my own private healthcare insurance come through at $150 and $75? I'm pretty sure based on personal observation. Or an established Medicare patient's doctor being reimbursed just $20 for an office visit while my insurance company reimburses at $60? Same thing.

    Table I: 2011 National Medicare Fee Schedule | American College of Rheumatology | ACR
    But how do you perceive Medicare being cheaper causing private market prices to increase?

    Maybe hospitals are just grossly overcharging in the private market. Like the $1.50 tylenol pill that costs 1.5 cents to manufacture.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    But how do you perceive Medicare being cheaper causing private market prices to increase?
    What?? Do you think that hospitals don't make up those crappy reimbursements in other areas? Do you think you can pay for a X-ray machine at $20 per? Or a doctor at $10 per read? Much less make a profit?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #34
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,611

    Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    When I see my mom's Medicare bills, and I see chest x-rays charged at $24 and read for $9 -- and then I see my own private healthcare insurance come through at $150 and $75? I'm pretty sure based on personal observation. Or an established Medicare patient's doctor being reimbursed just $20 for an office visit while my insurance company reimburses at $60? Same thing.

    Table I: 2011 National Medicare Fee Schedule | American College of Rheumatology | ACR
    Not sure why you think your insurer paid that to the provider. Just because its on a bill, its not really the price.

    I recall combating a bill on some lab work because of an insurance screwup ( which is in itself tremendously inefficient). The bill to us, and the insurer, was $300. After working out a painstakingly involved negotiation to prove we actually did have insurance, the bill was eventually paid. I required and the payment was somewhere around $25.

    But my insurance statement said it was $300.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  5. #35
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Not sure why you think your insurer paid that to the provider. Just because its on a bill, its not really the price.

    I recall combating a bill on some lab work because of an insurance screwup ( which is in itself tremendously inefficient). The bill to us, and the insurer, was $300. After working out a painstakingly involved negotiation to prove we actually did have insurance, the bill was eventually paid. I required and the payment was somewhere around $25.

    But my insurance statement said it was $300.
    My insurance company shows what the hospital billed and what they "allow." Their payments are made based on the smaller amount. Most usually, the bill says, "You are not required to pay anything additional." That's the deal they made with the hospital. Hope I'm making myself clear.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That approval rating is going to go up as soon as people understand how it's going to effect them. Our government has done a piss-poor job of bringin' it on home.
    you have it backwards the government and the lap dog media did a good job hiding the truth from America about Obama care

  7. #37
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,611

    Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    My insurance company shows what the hospital billed and what they "allow." Their payments are made based on the smaller amount. Most usually, the bill says, "You are not required to pay anything additional." That's the deal they made with the hospital. Hope I'm making myself clear.
    Yes, but what was actually paid you will never see. The negotiated rates are actually a secret (proprietary- other insurers make their own private deals with providers), and in certain cases, like medications, there are very substantial rebates involved.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  8. #38
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    What?? Do you think that hospitals don't make up those crappy reimbursements in other areas? Do you think you can pay for a X-ray machine at $20 per? Or a doctor at $10 per read? Much less make a profit?
    Thousands and thousands of hospitals and doctor's offices willingly take Medicare patients. Hell, in some places you have them advertising to attract more Medicare patients.

    This is not something you do for customers that you lose money on.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #39
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    you have it backwards the government and the lap dog media did a good job hiding the truth from America about Obama care
    You mean like the non-existent death panels?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,854

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why do you think supply would decrease? We're going to run out of healthcares?

    Are you telling me the magical, benevolent hand of the hallowed free market wont react to an increase in price with an increase in supply?
    In a true free market you would be correct about supply increasing in reaction to increased demand. The problem is government interference. We are already hearing about care providers dropping out because of it.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •