Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 368

Thread: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

  1. #161
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Nobody read the bill, this is what happens.
    You have to pass it to know what's in it.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #162
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You may be right, of course, but do you have an example?
    What is the Patriot Act?

    Supposedly Jim McDermott alleged no senator had read the bill before passing it.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    What is the Patriot Act? Supposedly Jim McDermott alleged no senator had read the bill before passing it.
    That's alleged. The massive Health Care bill being passed without anyone reading it is not alleged. is not alleged. It is fact.

    But even if it was true, are you in favor of elected members of government passing laws without understanding them first?

  4. #164
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's alleged. The massive Health Care bill being passed without anyone reading it is not alleged. is not alleged. It is fact.

    But even if it was true, are you in favor of elected members of government passing laws without understanding them first?
    Absolutely not Grant. Our representatives have done the biggest disservice to us by voting party lines and not what their constituents want or need. They should know what they are passing.

    I wrote "supposedly". I realize that it is alleged.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Absolutely not Grant. Our representatives have done the biggest disservice to us by voting party lines and not what their constituents want or need. They should know what they are passing.

    I wrote "supposedly". I realize that it is alleged.
    You're right. I had the wrong guy in mind who was making the claim that it was commonplace 'since Reagan'. Wasn't paying as much attention to the names as I should have. Sorry about that.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You may be right, of course, but do you have an example?
    How often has something attached to a bill not been seen? It is actually quite common. Just as many didn't read the NIE before Iraq, they often just get the gist of it and not a full reading.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    While I'm sure you are sure of this, it would be helpful to see actual facts, rather than your possibly uninformed thoughts.
    Sadly it is certainly true the misinformation is doing better in reaching the public than Obama's arguments in favor of it. I think these polls show that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #168
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How often has something attached to a bill not been seen? It is actually quite common. Just as many didn't read the NIE before Iraq, they often just get the gist of it and not a full reading.
    Which should be a big red flag. Clearly Congress is more interested in hiding things in massive bills that quickly voted on, rather than taking their time, debating, and getting things right the first time.

    Maybe its a sign of the times, wherein there is a desire for instant gratification on all issues, problems, and actions. Slow and steady wins the race should be the path taken.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How often has something attached to a bill not been seen? It is actually quite common. Just as many didn't read
    the NIE before Iraq, they often just get the gist of it and not a full reading.
    Attached ??

    It was the entire bill " that had to be passed before we know what was in it "

    You realize if you have to lie and mislead to prove your argument you still have a crappy argument to return to.

    And your Iraq desperation is absolutely irrelevent. Democrats in 1998, including Hillary and Bill Clinton knew he had WMD. So there shouldn't have been any surprise to anyone.

    Do I need to post their quotes ?

  10. #170
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,450

    Re: Health care law's unpopularity reaches new highs

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How often has something attached to a bill not been seen? It is actually quite common. Just as many didn't read the NIE before Iraq, they often just get the gist of it and not a full reading.
    That's a flawed system then. A system that's designed to make it very difficult to get things implemented, and to undo, would mean that we should minimize what we use that system for. Likewise, if what's getting passed in that system are things they don't know about as its pass, nothing critical should ever be in there. Add the two together, and you'd have to wonder why we even try to use such a system for anything important.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •