Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    WASHINGTON (AP) The Transportation Security Administration is abandoning a plan to allow passengers to carry small knives, souvenir bats, golf clubs and other sports equipment onto planes in the face of fierce congressional and industry opposition, the head of the agency said Wednesday.



    By scuttling the plan to drop the knives and sports equipment from TSA's list of prohibited items, the agency can focus its attention on other priorities, including expanding its Pre-Check program to identify ahead of time travelers who don't pose a security risk, TSA Administrator John Pistole told The Associated Press.

    Pistole had unveiled the proposal to loosen the rules for carry-ons in March, saying the knives and other items can't enable terrorists to cause a plane to crash. He said intercepting them takes time that would be better used searching for explosives and other more serious threats. TSA screeners confiscate over 2,000 of the small folding knives a day from passengers.

    Skeptical lawmakers, airlines, labor unions and some law enforcement groups complained that the knives and other items in the hands of the wrong passengers could be used to injure or even kill passengers and crew.

    Last month 145 House members signed a letter to Pistole asking him to keep in place the current policy prohibiting passengers from including the knives and other items in their carry-on bags. Flight attendant unions organized protests in Washington and at airports across the country. And Airlines for America, which represents major U.S. airlines, as well as top executives from some of the nation's largest airlines, came out against the plan.....snip~

    TSA drops plan to allow small knives on planes

    Course this is more than just the knives. The TSA gets it now, that all weren't on the same page. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    cmon now.....no one I know Likes the TSA.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    I think scrapping the plan is idiotic. They are using the same logic as those that want to ban guns.

  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I think scrapping the plan is idiotic. They are using the same logic as those that want to ban guns.
    Sounds like your two sentences are in complete opposition of each other.

    Specific to the OP: The whole program, all of TSA, is more to make us "feel safe" rather than to actually "be safe." If someone wants to hold someone hostage, more or less, on an airliner, they can simply grab one of the flight attendants and threaten to snap her neck like a twig.

    Hopefully, with our new reinforced flight doors, a policy of never opening them no matter what the threat, and our new "Let's Roll" mentality, without a bomb on board no one is going to take out an airliner ever again. This let's them focus on more important things. Makes us safer. A little bit.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sounds like your two sentences are in complete opposition of each other.

    Specific to the OP: The whole program, all of TSA, is more to make us "feel safe" rather than to actually "be safe." If someone wants to hold someone hostage, more or less, on an airliner, they can simply grab one of the flight attendants and threaten to snap her neck like a twig.

    Hopefully, with our new reinforced flight doors, a policy of never opening them no matter what the threat, and our new "Let's Roll" mentality, without a bomb on board no one is going to take out an airliner ever again. This let's them focus on more important things. Makes us safer. A little bit.
    Not at all in contradiction. I think banning knives and other objects on flights by the TSA is idiotic and does nothing to make us safe just like banning guns doesn't make us safe. The TSA scrapping the plans to allow knives and other objects on board is idiotic IMO.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,492

    TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sounds like your two sentences are in complete opposition of each other.

    Specific to the OP: The whole program, all of TSA, is more to make us "feel safe" rather than to actually "be safe." If someone wants to hold someone hostage, more or less, on an airliner, they can simply grab one of the flight attendants and threaten to snap her neck like a twig.

    Hopefully, with our new reinforced flight doors, a policy of never opening them no matter what the threat, and our new "Let's Roll" mentality, without a bomb on board no one is going to take out an airliner ever again. This let's them focus on more important things. Makes us safer. A little bit.
    Security theater as some call it.

    It was dumb to drop the plan. No one is going to hijack a plane with a pen knife ever again. It's simply a waste of time and money to search for these things.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #7
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not at all in contradiction. I think banning knives and other objects on flights by the TSA is idiotic and does nothing to make us safe just like banning guns doesn't make us safe. The TSA scrapping the plans to allow knives and other objects on board is idiotic IMO.
    I now see what you meant. But that's not what you said.

    I think scrapping the plan is idiotic.
    And you went and said it again:

    The TSA scrapping the plans to allow knives and other objects on board is idiotic IMO.
    ??

    And another poster in conflict:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    It was dumb to drop the plan. No one is going to hijack a plane with a pen knife ever again. It's simply a waste of time and money to search for these things.
    WTF? What am I not understand here?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I now see what you meant. But that's not what you said.



    And you went and said it again:



    ??
    As far as I know the TSA was going to allow knives on board, and then scrapped the idea later under pressure did they not? So for them to scrap the plans is idiotic. Not sure where the disconnect is here. They should have continued fighting for it.

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    As far as I know the TSA was going to allow knives on board, and then scrapped the idea later under pressure did they not? So for them to scrap the plans is idiotic. Not sure where the disconnect is here. They should have continued fighting for it.
    Ohhhhh, I see. I think the OP is wrong. They DID scrap the plan. Small knives are now allowed. But it SAYS:

    By scuttling the plan to drop the knives and sports equipment from TSA's list of prohibited items...
    I thought I'd gone crazy. (I still may have, of course.)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: TSA Drops Plan to Allow Small Knives On Planes.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Ohhhhh, I see. I think the OP is wrong. They DID scrap the plan. Small knives are now allowed. But it SAYS:



    I thought I'd gone crazy. (I still may have, of course.)
    No worries, I was questioning myself to see if I need another cup of coffee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •