Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79

Thread: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

  1. #41
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,283

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    It makes a huge difference, they were conducting government business on
    non-government servers which made their emails untraceable through FOIAs.
    I think you missed his Hillary reference.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,665

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm not sure what a "third-party account" is. Define please? Here is what I have been told: If I log into my personal Yahoo account during work hours and using my employer's computer, my employer has a right to access that Yahoo account.
    When I reference "third party accounts" I'm talking about various web based email. As far as your employers checking out your personal yahoo account...I don't know. If you are accessing it from work I suppose that there could be some concern that you are disclosing company information but it's not something I've been involved with.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    When I reference "third party accounts" I'm talking about various web based email. As far as your employers checking out your personal yahoo account...I don't know. If you are accessing it from work I suppose that there could be some concern that you are disclosing company information but it's not something I've been involved with.
    Please don't lose patience with me for this next dumb question, but when you say "various web-based" e-mail, are you referring to Yahoo, etc., or do you mean the Web version of Outlook? In my office I have Microsoft Outlook, but to connect with my work e-mail at home I have Office Outlook Web Access.

  4. #44
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    This is complete Bull! It is corrupt, it is illegal, and it is further evidence that this administration cares very little about the law, or the peoples right to oversee their governments actions.
    Wait a minute this aint the first time such a thing has happened is it?

    Lets see, here we have a secret email on government servers that very few people know about. Now if they refuse to hand them over, then you may have a case.. but since they are on government servers, then chances are they cant stop it if all the legal requirements are met. Of course they could "disappear" like under the last administration... which brings me to 6 years ago..

    6 years ago we had secret emails made on private non government servers in a direct attempt to hide information, not to mention in direct conflict with the rules and law... and back then it was no problem for the Bush administration and those involved...at least according to the GOP and its backers...

    Interesting.....deja vu.
    PeteEU

  5. #45
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,689

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It is funny. It's also funny how the Republicans spent 8 years defending Bush and now attack Obama for doing the same things.
    How many of us did you know 10 years ago?

  6. #46
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,665

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Please don't lose patience with me for this next dumb question, but when you say "various web-based" e-mail, are you referring to Yahoo, etc., or do you mean the Web version of Outlook? In my office I have Microsoft Outlook, but to connect with my work e-mail at home I have Office Outlook Web Access.
    Yes, I'm talking about Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Basically I'm talking about stuff that circumvents your work (or the government department) email server.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Well, if most of these folks didn't have secret accounts, they would never be able to get anything done because of all the crap they would be flooded with. When I worked on the Hill, I couldn't even begin to tell you how much of your taxpayer money was spent just battling the various Madalyn Murray O'Hair-esque rumors that we were inundated with constantly by people who would hear about it at church or wherever and then get upset and contact us by telephone, fax, email, mail, and sometimes in person.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    I thought they were using google, but switched to another service since google was sued and required to give everything up?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Actually, what Bush did was worse because they used RNC email accounts. At least with Obama is using government email addresses.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually his comparison fails because they are different controversies. This is a controversy because some had a separate, nonpublic email account. Bush's was a controversy because it was RNC mailboxes that operated under different rules than what the WH is supposed to for email control. In point of fact though, you can not be overly concerned about these email accounts, as long as they adhere to the law(and so far there is no real evidence otherwise), and still be outraged at what Bush's WH did with the email accounts and it would not be selective outrage because they are different situations.
    As you say, there are numerous differences. Another seeming difference is one was confined to seemingly White House staff while the other seems to have the potential to span multiple executive agencies across the government and possible attempts to stifle or slow the disclosure of information (the exorbidant price from one agency, 10 others dragging their feet, etc). Just as someone may have found the Bush issue to be a problem but this one not so much, others could perhaps feel that the potential wider reach of this case to be of greater concern than the Bush case. In both cases, those could just be excuses for a person to go "...well that ones DIFFERENT", but you're absolutely right that the two cases have differences and those differences could lead people to have an issue with one but not the other.

    However, the person asking the question phrased it in such a way initially, along with the context of that posters history, to imply that one could not legitimately have an issue with this one but not with Bush's. I was wishing to see if that similar attitude extended the other way, which cwas clearly not hte case when he came up with a "Well, that one was *different*" response, failing to acknowledge that there are differences that could lead one to share his nuanced outrage in the opposite direction.

    Their either different issues, and thus the imemdiete attempt at screaming hypocrisy was in error...which was part of my point...OR they are comparable, in which case my question about his consistency when just asking it in a one sided fashion that was justified.

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Emails of top Obama appointees remain a mystery

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Yes, I'm talking about Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Basically I'm talking about stuff that circumvents your work (or the government department) email server.
    Thank you for the clarification. As I say, my understanding is that my employer has the right to access my Yahoo account if I use it on my work computer, etc.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •