Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 186

Thread: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

  1. #51
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    So if one of my waiters calls one of my customers "a homo" regardless if he's a flamer or not,that customer has no right to be offended,complain to me (the guy who owns the restaurant) they are eating in,and I have no right to take disciplinary action on that waiter?
    that's a different issue. you do-its your business. but if you call a flamer a homo I have no use for a bunch of angry gays trying to prevent other people from doing business with you etc



  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Do you grasp my point regarding the hypocrisy of the OP logic? Organizations should be allowed to have their positions (this is drawn from ~"everyone should have the right to their opinion"), but not the NBA because they're on the other side.

    Nonsense.

    One must either demand churches marry gays or accept that the NBA can have its policy. Of course, one could do both, but one cannot accept church (and, until recently?) boy scout policy and at the same time give the NBA crap - especially on the grounds of ~"right to opinion".


    Right. I get your point. Good luck with trying to get anyone else to see the logic............................

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    What quote are you reading? Because I'm OBVIOUSLY reading something different as I don't see anywhere that he used the term "homo" as an "insult toward" James.



    This wasn't calling anyone gay, or insulting anyone for being gay, it was him making a statement that unintentionally could have some innuendo attached to it and qualified that the innuendo wasn't serious or intended.

    Was it juvenile? Absolutely. Was it a "Slur", especially something you wantonly compare to Nigger? Absolutely not. Was it an "insult towards" Lebron James? Not at all. At best, it was a comment about the Heat as a team...and it was a COMPLIMENT, that they managed to cause Hibbard to get out of position.

    Seriously, if someone was saying he said a juvenile, insensitive thing, that's one thing....but a "Slur?" Comparable to nigger? Insulting towards Lebron James? I think that's just a wonderful example of people immediately grabbing an issue and staking out an ideological position on it because that's the only way they see the world, regardless of facts or reality.
    Is that all he said? I don't think they even included the quote in the two articles I read, but I assumed it was worse than that.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  4. #54
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Isn't it kind of funny how some conservatives here are all of sudden taking the side of labor over the side of the business owners?

  5. #55
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That's not really comparable.

    Am I missing something? WHO in the world did he call a HOMO? He suggested something he meant wasn't meant in a homosexual fashion. Juvenile? Sure. But completely different than the repeated attempts of people in this thread to compare it to calling someone a homo/nigger/etc.
    Hey! If you're going to insist I read OPs carefully, I'm going to report you. Seriously, the OPs article didn't actually SAY what he said -- so I just went looking for it:

    "I really felt that I let Paul down in terms of having his back (in Game 3) when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting to the paint, because they stretched me out so much, no homo."
    WTF does that even MEAN???

    Even in this context, I don't get it:

    The phrases no homo and pause are slang terms. They parenthetically assert that the speaker of such does not have any homosexual intent and are usually used after an utterance that may have given that impression
    Erase all my posts. Ha!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    LOL The OP's story didn't include the quote, which I found rather funny but was a wonderful example of my general thoughts about the media and how a writers unconscious biases play into things. The OP's story wanted to play up "Gay slur" so it's better to leave it up to the imagination HOW he used it. I had happened to hear the quote on the radio today though, so quickly did a google search and found it.

    Let's take a word you used earlier; retard. I think it's a bit like that. It's one thing to go "Lebron James is a retard". It's another thing to say "I needed to play better defense. I was lost out there today and made some retarded mistakes". There could still be people upset that he used "retarded" as a synonym for "stupid", but it's far different than using it as a "slur" aimed at someone.

    Comedic timing wise, the "No homo" thing is similar in style to the "That's what she said" line. A statement is said that could be construed in some fashion in a particular light and the secondary statement is made in reference to that.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 06-03-13 at 11:41 PM.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's a different issue. you do-its your business. but if you call a flamer a homo I have no use for a bunch of angry gays trying to prevent other people from doing business with you etc
    Correctly me if I'm wrong,but isn't the NBA pretty much owned by the owners of NBA franchises?

    I have no use of employees bringing bad publicity to my business in the first place.
    People have the right to boycott any business they feel like.
    What they cannot do is physically prevent anyone else from doing business with me.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Is that all he said? I don't think they even included the quote in the two articles I read, but I assumed it was worse than that.
    Yep. The two controversial statements were:

    “You know what, because y’all mother****ers don’t watch us play throughout the year, to tell you the truth,” Hibbert said in his televised interview after the game. “I don’t care if I get fined.”
    and

    “There was Game 3 here that I felt I let Paul (George) down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting into the paint because they stretched me out so much — no homo (laughs) — but I want to be there for him. I think he has a chance to be MVP of this league next year.”
    Link

  9. #59
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    Correctly me if I'm wrong,but isn't the NBA pretty much owned by the owners of NBA franchises?

    I have no us of employees bringing bad publicity to my business in the first place.
    People have the right to buycott any business they feel like.What they cannot do is physically prevent anyone else from doing business with me.
    true-but the reason why the NBA owners get upset is due to the faux outrage of the PC ninnies.



  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Roy Hibbert Uses Gay Slur in Post Game Press Conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Freedom of speech only applies to the progressives and the duty to tolerate people you disagree with only applies to the conservatives. This is the 21st Century, Man. Get with the program.
    Oh please
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •