Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

  1. #11
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    I find it ironic that some of my friends are all up in arms about people leaking stuff to wikileaks and want to hang them by their toenails, yet, leaking sensitive government secrets to FOXNews reporters, they defend.

    People can be funny sometimes.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #12
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I find it ironic that some of my friends are all up in arms about people leaking stuff to wikileaks and want to hang them by their toenails, yet, leaking sensitive government secrets to FOXNews reporters, they defend.

    People can be funny sometimes.
    That's because "conservatives" tend to lean their opinions towards the speeches of FOX commentators. It's about hating Obama. It's the same typical partisanship slavery we saw against Bush for 8 years from "liberals."

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  3. #13
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Your NDA's are pretty explicit in the military, how he thought this was a good idea? I'll never know...
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #14
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    That's because "conservatives" tend to lean their opinions towards the speeches of FOX commentators. It's about hating Obama. It's the same typical partisanship slavery we saw against Bush for 8 years from "liberals."
    Exactly. Glad to see someone is wearing their "thinking cap" around here.

    Good on you.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #15
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    If they're using Bin Laden, I'd bet that the SEALs found information that Bradley leaked somewhere when they nabbed Bin Laden. If that truly is the case, the kid is done. That meets the elements of Article 104 pretty solidly.

    http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/MCM-2012.pdf
    What evidence do you have that he intended to aid the enemy? Even if Bin Laden obtained the information, unless Manning intended him to have it, then it doesn't satisfy element 2b. What Manning did was not treason. And we should defend whistleblowers, and stop the government from keeping so many secrets from us. It is supposed to serve us, not the other way around.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #16
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Exactly. Glad to see someone is wearing their "thinking cap" around here.

    Good on you.
    It's the same crap. The only difference is that the White exchanged political colors (and complexions). Everything liberals hated under Bush and later worshipped in Obama anti-Bush speeches accept today everything Bush did under Obama's hand. Today, conservatives find reason to protest what they used to support.

    It's pathetic how obvious they are.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #17
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    It's the same crap. The only difference is that the White exchanged political colors (and complexions). Everything liberals hated under Bush and later worshipped in Obama anti-Bush speeches accept today everything Bush did under Obama's hand. Today, conservatives find reason to protest what they used to support.

    It's pathetic how obvious they are.
    True dat. I think of Benghazi and their feigned outrage and then I think of the Iran Contra scandal and their worship of Ronald Reagan.

    I think of their outrage and wanting to go for the WikiLeak throat, yet defend FOXNews reporters for leaking classified information.

    I think of thier support of the Patriot Act and their "If you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide," in regard to wiretaps, etc. Then I think of their whining about going after FOXNews emails/phone records for violating national security.

    That's why I fish more than I blog these days. It has all become so asnine stupid.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #18
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    That's because "conservatives" tend to lean their opinions towards the speeches of FOX commentators. It's about hating Obama. It's the same typical partisanship slavery we saw against Bush for 8 years from "liberals."
    I hope I'm not expected to defend this cookie cutter stereotype you've created.

    It's the duty of the press to ask the tough questions, and that duty is correctly protected by the Constitution.

    It's the duty of those entrusted with classified information to not divulge that information to anyone not cleared for it.

    It shouldn't be a criminal offense to ask a question. The whole notion is absurd.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    It is in this case and it doesn't matter if it causes harm.

    What is it with you people? We aren't talking about a janitor in a high school telling people that the Principle winked at a student. This is a sworn in soldier entrusted to protect documentation. It doesn't matter what the classification is (classified, secret, top secret). And it's not about a single apache video. This isn't a case where some soldier took a video of something and tattled on YouTube. This is about 700,000 documents simply given to a civilian with no classification and then released to the world. This is traitorous and it is treasonous.
    I disagree. It is illegal, but not treasonous. The reason is that the information provided should not have been classified. There wasn't anything there that would harm the country. Sorry, I don't buy that the government can do no wrong. In my experience most of what it does is wrong. It is good for the public to know when its government does things wrong. Fix the way documents are classified and then I'll agree with you.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: US soldier goes on trial over security leaks

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    For me the fly in the ointment is the fact that, because, something is classified doesn't mean that public knowledge of it will harm the U.S. The government routinely classifies things simply to keep it from the public and the press. I view the Wikileaks documents as that sort of thing. Most of it was embarrassing to members of the administration but I didn't see anything that would harm national security. Perhaps the government needs to clean up the way they classify document before accusing people of treason. After all, whistle blowing isn't necessarily treason.
    I generally agree with this statement. I do not know if the whole lot of what was downloaded has really compromised anyone on the ground anywhere. The government would need to show me something credible to believe that it directly lead to a serious harm before I would ever consider giving him more than 20 years at most and the defense would need to give me something that lead me to believe that he was misled or duped by Wikileaks before I would give him less than at least 5 to 7 of actual prison time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •