Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 236

Thread: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    . .
    That is not how I would have answered it. DNA tells the state whatever they need to know about the individual in question from their weaknesses to their strengths.

  2. #82
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Fingerprints don't open up the door to the same relationship capabilities that DNA does.

    We see the IRS targeting certain groups based on little more than the name of the organization they formed and keyword tracking is common across the internet for commercial as well as investigative purposes. Once this database starts to build there is likely to be more and more "need" to keep the database up to date as well as to fill in various "blanks". It should make most people more than a little concerned that all of this data is being compiled even though there is no immediate need for the government to have that information.

    The absolute LAST thing we want to do is to give the government carte blanche to accumulate personal information without very good and very limited reason for doing so. The potential for abuse is simply too dangerous.
    The government only does what is allowed by the governed. I believe this country is too large and to diversified to continue in its existence. We are no longer the nation of our founding where the vast majority shares a common belief or even morality. I can't say what will come in the future, but I no longer see that shining city on the hill or any politician capable of leading the country there...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #83
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Read the amendment in question again..



    It is talking about searches and seizures which means very clearly applies ALL searches and seizures. It makes no difference if such and such search and seizure is harmless or not. Your argument is entirely immaterial.

    Btw, this ruling also flies in the face of the fifth and fourteenth amendment.
    There is no search nor seizure except that subsequent to a lawful arrest for identification purposes...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    not sure i support this one; there's a lot more info to be gleaned from DNA. thoughts on this decision?
    I kinda agree, but only because the practice is done with people arrested for a serious crime. Now if they did this for shoplifting, jaywalking, smoking a joint or consuming drugs then I would be a against it. Only in the case of organized crime, violent crime or sex crimes should DNA be taken from suspects, in minor cases it should not.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  5. #85
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    There is no search nor seizure except that subsequent to a lawful arrest for identification purposes...
    Are you trying to say they are having trouble identifying the arrestee, and their purpose is to establish the person's name?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #86
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is not how I would have answered it. DNA tells the state whatever they need to know about the individual in question from their weaknesses to their strengths.
    the furthering of warrantless searches is enough for me to be skeptical of this decision.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,064

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I kinda agree, but only because the practice is done with people arrested for a serious crime. Now if they did this for shoplifting, jaywalking, smoking a joint or consuming drugs then I would be a against it. Only in the case of organized crime, violent crime or sex crimes should DNA be taken from suspects, in minor cases it should not.
    but if it's only to be used for a specific class of crimes, how difficult would be to get a warrant?

  8. #88
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Are you trying to say they are having trouble identifying the arrestee, and their purpose is to establish the person's name?
    That's what fingerprints are currently used to confirm...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They took my footprint. Parents often take and store DNA samples. It's just one more form of identification, in my opinion. No big deal.

    So many people just automatically make a freakin' deal out of things. It will help solve crimes. It will help identify bodies. It will establish paternity (taking babies' DNA, that is). They've taken fingerprints for years; nobody's dropped over dead because of it. Lighten up.
    Sorry I won't "lighten up". Apparently the whole "my body my choice" rhetoric only applies if you're murdering an innocent child in the womb. What right does the Government have to your body? Your DNA is your matter. It's not an imprint like a cast or ink smudged on paper. It's literally your cells. It is your physical blueprint. Clones can be made from DNA. Without a warrant what right does the Government have to extract cells and DNA from your body without your consent if you have not committed a serious crime? If you are under no suspicion of having committed a crime the Government can confiscate your DNA at birth? Really? You specifically stated the Government has a right to DNA just for a human being born. Your response to giving Government that authority over your body is "lighten up"? Are you kidding me right now?

    If a parent wants to take a DNA sample and store it on their own, that is their right as parents. The Government is not your mommy and daddy however.

    If you believe in The Constitution how could you possibly come to the conclusion that the Government has a right to your body just for being born.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,630

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The government only does what is allowed by the governed. I believe this country is too large and to diversified to continue in its existence. We are no longer the nation of our founding where the vast majority shares a common belief or even morality. I can't say what will come in the future, but I no longer see that shining city on the hill or any politician capable of leading the country there...
    That's a WHOLE different subject but suffice it to say that at the time of the founding of the nation there was ample disagreement with regard to political beliefs and morality even among those who penned the founding documents. I certainly don't believe that we have become too big for this form of government but, rather, have become too complacent in our acceptance of it.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •