Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 236

Thread: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I am interested in getting criminals off the street. I was completely unaware that was not in the best interests of "the people."
    Yes, I expected that argument since that was pretty much the same crappy logic used in the opinion while admitting what they were doing was wrong. The DNA of people is their property, so the government requires a warrant to get that information, and I'm sorry but I'm more interested in the rights of people, than helping the government prosecute crimes.

  2. #62
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, I expected that argument since that was pretty much the same crappy logic used in the opinion while admitting what they were doing was wrong. The DNA of people is their property, so the government requires a warrant to get that information and I'm sorry, but I'm more interested in the rights of people, than helping the government prosecute people.
    You could make the same argument about fingerprints, couldn't you?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You do realize that the ruling pertains to people who have already been arrested. Right?
    You do realize I corrected myself already....oh..no, you have not.

    Do you realize this is why I rarely respond to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You could make the same argument about fingerprints, couldn't you?
    Yes. What is your point?

  5. #65
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, so?
    I'm not seeing a similar outrage over that practice...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #66
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's the point of taking a DNA sample after someone is convicted?

    Would you argue the same point about finger prints?
    the point is that obtaining DNA is a search, and now it's a search which doesn't require a warrant.

    it's not entirely analogous to fingerprints. DNA contains much more private data than a fingerprint.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'm not seeing a similar outrage over that practice...
    Who said I'm not outraged about it? It has however been around a long time and it's hard to get people to fight against things that have been established for a great deal of time.

  8. #68
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the point is that obtaining DNA is a search, and now it's a search which doesn't require a warrant.

    it's not entirely analogous to fingerprints. DNA contains much more private data than a fingerprint.
    I'll ask you the same question as another poster, What sinister things do you think will be done with the information?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #69
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,309

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You do realize I corrected myself already....oh..no, you have not.

    Do you realize this is why I rarely respond to you?
    No, I didn't. No need to get pissy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #70
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Who said I'm not outraged about it? It has however been around a long time and it's hard to get people to fight against things that have been established for a great deal of time.
    I would argue there is no difference given the reliability of DNA evidence in proving one's guilt or innocence. In fact DNA is much better in those matters...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •