Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 236

Thread: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I know you didn't intend it to be so, but this post was actually funny. You pulled out almost all the libertarian doom-and-gloom buzzwords.



    I don't use "buzz words" I recycle history. You know - ideas that have already happened which you claim will never happen despite the same historical tactics being used?

  2. #192
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Whether intentional or unintentional, I often wonder whether those child abduction fingerprint events actually serve to stir up hysteria and paranoia more so than offer any real help. Child abductions outside of family disputes, while they do happen, are actually pretty rare.
    I have no idea but I sure wouldn't want to find out they are important the hard way.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

  3. #193
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't use "buzz words" I recycle history. You know - ideas that have already happened which you claim will never happen despite the same historical tactics being used?
    Yes, of course.



    Quote Originally Posted by Heebie Jeebie View Post
    I have no idea but I sure wouldn't want to find out they are important the hard way.
    Oh, no doubt. It is possible that these things do more harm than good. In an overall sense. That's all I'm saying.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Heebie Jeebie View Post
    And many parents are ok with that given the number of child abductions. If the parents are ok with it, and I was, then I don't see a problem. They offer fingerprinting at elementary schools here for the same reason.
    All that needs to be said is that it's not OK that people lose their rights on the day they are born and the government gains this information about this individual from that day forward. The parents have no right to give away that information, none. The hospital has no right to take it, and the government has no right to collect it. This is where the debate will go next and where they are going to do the same thing for DNA, and yes, it is wrong no matter if it helps solve crimes or not. In fact, it's completely immaterial if it helps solves crime. You do not violate someones rights in the chance it might help them in the future.

    Would you like to have no say if the government has your fingerprints? Well, would you? Mine are not on record since back then they didn't do this, but now they do, and almost none of the children have a say. THAT IS WRONG and it does follow them for the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-05-13 at 01:00 PM.

  5. #195
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    All that needs to be said is that it's not OK that people lose their rights on the day they are born and the government gains this information about this individual from that day forward. The parents have no right to give away that information, none. The hospital has no right to take it, and the government has no right to collect it. This is where the debate will go next and where they are going to do the same thing for DNA, and yes, it is wrong no matter if it helps solve crimes or not. In fact, it's completely immaterial if it helps solves crime. You do not violate someones rights in the chance it might help them in the future.

    Would you like to have no say if the government has your fingerprints? Well, would you? Mine are not on record since back then they didn't do this, but now they do, and almost none of the children have a say. THAT IS WRONG and it does follow them for the rest of their lives.
    The parents definately have the right decide to have an infants fingerprints taken just like they have the right to approve an amputation to save a childs life or the right to have them vaccinated or any other decision. It's not like an infant can make those sort of decisions.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Heebie Jeebie View Post
    The parents definately have the right decide to have an infants fingerprints taken just like they have the right to approve an amputation to save a childs life or the right to have them vaccinated or any other decision. It's not like an infant can make those sort of decisions.
    Did you just compare a life saving operation to giving fingerprints to the government? There is so much fail in that train of thought I don't even have words to describe it. Then you put out the absurd vaccination crap that is again a medical decision that has nothing to do with giving finger prints to the government. At no point did you even make a valid comparison in this entire post designed to compare one thing to another to convince me of the merit of your case.

    No, the fingerprints is the property of the child and a part of their identity and body. They have a right to privacy a right to their body and such a right does encompass fingerprints. You can only argue towards acting on their body for maintenance and needed medical treatment.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-05-13 at 03:37 PM.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    These SCOTUS idiots are idiots....
    Actually, they're among the top judges and legal scholars in the US.


    they have no precedence or even basis to make this OPINIONATED ruling.
    Have you actually read the ruling? I'm guessing "no," since both the majority and dissent do actually bother to cite relevant precedents.


    The Fourth Amendment is quite clear, but those progressive punks don't care.
    And where does it specify what qualifies as "unreasonable search and seizure?"


    This is tyranny at it's finest considering the Fourth Amendment has been basically circumvented....
    No, it hasn't.

    There is always a tension between an individual's right to privacy and to be protected from unreasonable searches, and the needs of law enforcement to gather evidence. Collecting a DNA sample isn't much different than getting fingerprints -- except that it works better.

    And no, having one decision not go your way is not viable evidence of a "slippery slope."

    Nor does this have anything to do with Obama. In fact, not only did Sotomayor and Kagan dissented, they joined Scalia on the dissent -- not a common occurrence.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,496

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Actually, they're among the top judges and legal scholars in the US.



    Have you actually read the ruling? I'm guessing "no," since both the majority and dissent do actually bother to cite relevant precedents.



    And where does it specify what qualifies as "unreasonable search and seizure?"


    It's unreasonable because the DNA is being used to solve a crime that the police did not have probable cause to arrest the man for. That's the crux of Scalia's argument. The DNA sample is not being used for identification purposes but to see if there are other crimes that can be pinned on the arrestee.

    If the DNA was being used simply for identification, like fingerprints, it'd be a potentially different story. They aren't though. And the majority opinion, at least as far as I can see ignores that completely.

    Haven't read this entire thread so if that point's been made already my apologies.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #199
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Did you just compare a life saving operation to giving fingerprints to the government?
    No I pointed out that parents make all the decisions for an infant. If they choose to let the child be fingerprinted then that is their right. That is all.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

  10. #200
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, the fingerprints is the property of the child and a part of their identity and body.
    Then if they are the property of a person can I chage someone for cleaning up their property when they mess up my windows?
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •