Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 236

Thread: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    As a committed slippery slope theorist I completely understand your point. And don't automatically mistake my post for acceptance or approval. But, at the same time, it's not always an invalid concept, either. In this case I think it is a valid point for discussion.
    I don't think the government should ever taking your DNA or fingerprints without your permission. I'm more than willing to allow them to gather other evidence but I have real problem with those two just being gathered against peoples wills. We have a right to body sovereignty and that should extend into after we are arrested.

  2. #122
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't think the government should ever taking your DNA or fingerprints without your permission. I'm more than willing to allow them to gather other evidence but I have real problem with those two just being gathered against peoples wills. We have a right to body sovereignty and that should extend into after we are arrested.
    Personally, I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out the existing precedent. For right or for wrong, because of the long-standing precedent, it has to be included in the discussion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #123
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    That's not how it works.

    They aren't withdrawing 20 vials of blood to do a CBC, six STD tests and a cancer screening. They basically check a small sample of DNA, enough to uniquely identify that individual.
    Do you know how many swabs they take? Do you know what tests can be done from a single swab?

    I wouldn't be so cavalier in my attitude toward state intrusions into my body.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #124
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    So, you also advocate destroying fingerprint files and mugshots, right?
    After a case is dropped, or a person is acquitted, yes.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #125
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    not sure i support this one; there's a lot more info to be gleaned from DNA. thoughts on this decision?
    I think the decision is an abomination of our Constitution & Bill of Rights.

    Taking DNA samples just because you get arrested?

    This is another case of the government deciding what the government is allowed to do through the non-existent Judicial Review process.

    I look at it this way, I dont care what the government courts decided...God forbid that I ever get in any trouble and get arrested for any reason, they will not get my DNA without a warrant.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  6. #126
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Personally, I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out the existing precedent. For right or for wrong, because of the long-standing precedent, it has to be included in the discussion.
    Precedent isnt law. Precedent is the decision of one specific case under specific circumstances and needs to be treated as such rather than be treated as gospel for all cases as the courts do now.
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  7. #127
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Not a big fan here of databasing the non-convicted. I don't trust the government or corporations with my DNA, not when they are on a mission to usurp our rights and corrupt due process. When a suspect is booked we already take their fingerprints. Why is DNA is necessary? We used to have to subpoena people for that kind of thing, now the police just take it automatically?

    It's not that the police are necessarily untrustworthy, but in a polity that defers to the rights and liberties of the individual, they should be treated as such. We should assume that any government agency collecting this DNA has security flaws or is capable of corrupt and insidious manipulation; or in the least, we should assume that the process has unknown drawbacks. Why? Because then we err on the side of individual rights.

    SCOTUS has been handing down really questionable decisions in the past few months.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Talk to SCOTUS. It was their decision, not mine. But I support it.
    Dodge noted

    You specifically said "at birth". No suspicion of having committed a crime. Nothing. The Government has a right to your body, your physical blueprint, at birth. Just because 5 lawyers in black robes make a decision doesn't make it right. By your logic Dred Scott should have never been nullified.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,973

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Do you know how many swabs they take? Do you know what tests can be done from a single swab?
    I know that sequencing a person's entire DNA, and then running two dozen tests on it, is:
    • expensive
    • time-consuming
    • nowhere near as informative as most people presume
    • takes up tons of storage space
    • isn't what law enforcement needs or uses
    • has no functionality whatsoever

    Conflating fake fears of things that won't happen is not a persuasive rhetorical maneuver.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,973

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    When a suspect is booked we already take their fingerprints. Why is DNA is necessary?
    Because it's significantly more effective than fingerprints.

    Oh, and let's not forget that it's frequently used to clear people of charges. If DNA is collected at the time of arrest, it could result in exonerating innocent people much earlier in the process.


    We used to have to subpoena people for that kind of thing, now the police just take it automatically?
    If you're arrested for a serious felony, yes. That is what has changed.


    We should assume that any government agency collecting this DNA has security flaws or is capable of corrupt and insidious manipulation....
    Requiring a warrant before collecting DNA doesn't have any effect on this at all.

    And any defense attorney has the power to question the credibility of DNA evidence in court.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •