Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 236

Thread: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

  1. #101
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    I truly dont know this so I am just asking. One time long ago in another life I was taken to the Columbus Ohio PD and was questioned all day about an armed robbery. I was never arrested and it was cracking me up because when the detective was saying I robbed somewhere I was at work 200 miles away. It really cracked me up too because he asked me questions about other crimes I did not even know what or where they were talking about. I kept telling the detective to call where I work and ask them. anyway finally after wasting several of his and my hours he just walked out and told me to go away. Course I had no money and they were keeping my buddy (who had all the cash) for outstanding traffic violations. How much evidence do they have to have to arrest you and swab your DNA? I am pretty sure that cop would have taken anything he could have got. That damn detective was going to bust me for something, but it was my first time in his stinking little town so he got nuthing. Oh and by the way, a couple of cops paid for my bus ticket home even though I told them I would never come back to their stinking town. I haven't yet I dont think.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Getting arrested purdy much covers the probable cause part.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    That is the only grey area for me where I would need to give it more thought. There are certain rights parents have over their children before they are age 18. That child is a product of the parents DNA. (adoptions ect obviously would not have the same right to that child's DNA that their biological parents potentially have. Again I'm undecided). That's certainly an enormous Pandora's box that would need to be explored I agree with you. I'm on the fence with it.
    I'm probably more restrictive with parental rights than most, but to me, parental rights only restricts the rights of children in three major areas, maintenance, health, and guidance. The child still has a right to their body and therefore their DNA and the only things I personally accept them doing towards the body of the child are either for maintenance which would be doctor checkups, dentist appointments, hair cuts, baths, etc, or in the case of injury or a condition that requires healthcare. To me, no one has a right to your DNA other than you.

  3. #103
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Sorry I won't "lighten up". Apparently the whole "my body my choice" rhetoric only applies if you're murdering an innocent child in the womb. What right does the Government have to your body? Your DNA is your matter. It's not an imprint like a cast or ink smudged on paper. It's literally your cells. It is your physical blueprint. Clones can be made from DNA. Without a warrant what right does the Government have to extract cells and DNA from your body without your consent if you have not committed a serious crime? If you are under no suspicion of having committed a crime the Government can confiscate your DNA at birth? Really? You specifically stated the Government has a right to DNA just for a human being born. Your response to giving Government that authority over your body is "lighten up"? Are you kidding me right now?

    If a parent wants to take a DNA sample and store it on their own, that is their right as parents. The Government is not your mommy and daddy however.

    If you believe in The Constitution how could you possibly come to the conclusion that the Government has a right to your body just for being born.
    Talk to SCOTUS. It was their decision, not mine. But I support it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Getting arrested purdy much covers the probable cause part.
    then why is it a problem to get a warrant?

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, I'm about trying to gather the most conclusive evidence as to a person's guilt or innocence as to the commission of a crime. Since the reliability of DNA has been proven, many have been released from prison for crimes not committed. You, it seems, would rather return to the days of circumstantial evidence being the most prevalent...
    I'm sorry that I consider my DNA my property. I will be sure to not consider changing my view.

  6. #106
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm sorry that I consider my DNA my property. I will be sure to not consider changing my view.
    Well then stop leaving it laying all over the place.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #107
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm sorry that I consider my DNA my property. I will be sure to not consider changing my view.
    You can consider what you wish, but when you're arrested with probable cause, it will be collected as will all other relevant evidence to the commission of a crime...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well then stop leaving it laying all over the place.
    Abandonment laws already allow them to take your DNA. Who made up this idea that because I leave something behind that it is all of sudden not my property and the state can just take it?
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-03-13 at 10:05 PM.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You can consider what you wish, but when you're arrested with probable cause, it will be collected as will all other relevant evidence to the commission of a crime...
    And I'm guessing they get to make up the rules on what probable cause means. Yeah, that is a great idea to allow them to do whatever they want under such conditions.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-03-13 at 10:09 PM.

  10. #110
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Court: Police can take DNA swabs from arrestees

    I'm torn on this one.

    On the one hand, they already take fingerprints and keep them. Why is this any different?

    Plus, many of us here, including me, decry the ability for LE to spy into e-mail accounts and such claiming that it is just an updated form of the handwritten and sealed letter, which is still ptotected. So, in the interest of consistency of concept, isn't DNA just an updated version of biometric information similar to the fingerprint that we already allow them to have?

    On the other hand, I fear the potential for abuse, and we have already seen some cases of dishonest lab techs.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •