Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 157

Thread: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    the reason they're there
    cdot's “stated primary criterion is reducing angle crashes to increase safety”

    from the ig, above

  2. #52
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't know what the criteria is for installation, but I'm assuming it has to do with number of accidents and tickets issued at particular intersections. For instance, in the accident I referenced about the truck and the teen? A red-light camera was installed shortly after the teen died.
    That assumption you make is invalid.

    The example you offer I'm certain is true and accurate, but the motivation for it was not to prevent accidents so much as it was to make money for the company and the political jurisdiction.

    I was briefed on the criteria by 2 different police officers involved in the planning. The criteria are driven by the potential for tickets and profits.

    Again, if they actually improved safety, they would be installed at every intersection with a light.

  3. #53
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with red-light cameras. If it's producing positive cash flow, that's good enough for me.
    How do you think Chicago politicians will squander this revenue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The only legitimate reason for red-light cameras would be to have a positive impact on safety.

    Laws should only be enacted with the idea that by having people obey them will result in greater safety and order.

    If red-light cameras are being operated as a means of generating revenue, then we have an example of a “safety” related law being enacted and enforced in a manner that is based on the hope that people will violate the law, be caught doing so, and thus provide government with an excuse to extort fines from them. This is a form of corruption that should be considered absolutely unacceptable in any proper society. To whatever degree government needs revenue, let it collect it through honest taxation, not through fraud and extortion.
    So to use your 'logic' if I don't see cross traffic I can run a red light? If safety is the only issue?

    I seriously doubt you would EVER see a tax increase as 'honest'.

    Now the law has been no running a red light for years before any cameras were in operation. The law about STOP before a right turn on red has been on the books long before the first camera was set out.

    I don't see the need to couple safety with enforcing laws that have been on the books for years and we all know by heart. Those laws were put there for public safety, a failure to enforce those laws would be just as ruthlessly attacked by the same detractors as the politics of it suits them.

    I just think some are mad they can't blow lights if they don't see a cop car, and a 'California' stop on a right turn on red doesn't cut it.

    What amazes me is the ticket is 100 bucks and the take is 71 million???? there be some seriously bad drivers in Chicago!!!!

  5. #55
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,274

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    That assumption you make is invalid.

    The example you offer I'm certain is true and accurate, but the motivation for it was not to prevent accidents so much as it was to make money for the company and the political jurisdiction.

    I was briefed on the criteria by 2 different police officers involved in the planning. The criteria are driven by the potential for tickets and profits.

    Again, if they actually improved safety, they would be installed at every intersection with a light.
    What if they were passing off their assumption as fact?

  6. #56
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    What if they were passing off their assumption as fact?
    Some gullible fool would buy it, I reckon. I'll pass, thanks.

    I'm not quite sure exactly which assumption you're referring to.

  7. #57
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,621

    No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Being from Chicago (and a recipient of said automated ticket), I can tell you that red light cameras in the city are revenue generators to solve a nonexistent problem.

    99% of the red light violations are people entering the intersection 1/2 second after the yellow light (solution- just delay the green for 1/2 second), or rolling right turn on red when no traffic is around. Maybe some 3AM violations where no one is on the road at all.

    You simply almost never (based one one guys experience driving several thousand miles a year in the area) people just blowing through red lights willy nilly.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  8. #58
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Being from Chicago (and a recipient of said automated ticket), I can tell you that red light cameras in the city are revenue generators to solve a nonexistent problem.

    99% of the red light violations are people entering the intersection 1/2 second after the yellow light (solution- just delay the green for 1/2 second), or rolling right turn on red when no traffic is around. Maybe some 3AM violations where no one is on the road at all.

    You simply almost never (based one one guys experience driving several thousand miles a year in the area) people just blowing through red lights willy nilly.
    Well, I've driven 25,000 miles a year in and around Chicago and suburbs. I've seen plenty of people coast through right turns at the expense of pedestrians and cycle riders . . . seen plenty blow through long yellows . . . and seen plenty go through reds. There are lots of people who simply believe it's okay if they don't get caught or think the laws barely apply to them.

    If they lengthened the yellow, perhaps you wouldn't have gotten a ticket on that particular day, but you'd probably get it the next time. Going through yellows and not watching for stale greens is rampant.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #59
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,621

    No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Pedestrians and cyclists are another story.

    But I've really not seen people blow off red lights that have been on for more than 1/2 second. And I drive a lot- maybe not in the neighborhoods you drive in though.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  10. #60
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No evidence, you say?

    Since someone got the joke, I'll explain. Consider that post in light of someone who only read the title.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •