Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 157

Thread: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

  1. #91
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Since it's not a moving violation, but a citation on the automobile, (same as a parking ticket) the court doesn't have to know who was driving. It doesn't make any difference.
    Saying it doesn't make a difference is admitting that the safety-first mantra is BS. If it were truly a safety issue, then the actual driver doing the misdeed would be important.

    Parking tickets aren't a safety issue, so the analogy doesn't work. (This is one of the most common analogies I've heard regarding this issue)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,459

    No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post



    It is not legal to go through a red light in either of those instances.
    As for emergency vehicles It is certainly true in the entire country in the case where the emergency vehicle is a police vehicle and the officer has signaled you to get out of the way. It's also certainly true in jurisdictions that have specific exceptions to obeying traffic control devices that involve yielding to emergency vehicles.

    In places that just mandate yielding for emergency vehicles the expectation given the intent of the regulation is that you get out if the way if safe to do so. I'm willing to bet that most cops wouldn't cite you and if you were cited the judge in all probability would toss it. I'm also willing to bet that if you didn't get out of the way and could you would be cited.

    As far as rushing someone to the hospital - you're right in my state at least there's no exception for that. Again though under the circumstances as long as you don't create a hazard my guess is overwhelmingly you won't get a ticket.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #93
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    The entire program was a revenue making endeavor from the jump. If anything those cameras make it LESS safe. People forget about the common sense measures when caught in iffy predicaments and worry more about whether or not they're going to be ticketed.

  4. #94
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Saying it doesn't make a difference is admitting that the safety-first mantra is BS. If it were truly a safety issue, then the actual driver doing the misdeed would be important.

    Parking tickets aren't a safety issue, so the analogy doesn't work. (This is one of the most common analogies I've heard regarding this issue)
    The analogy works just fine. The comparison is excellent. Parking Ticket doesn't go on one's driving record. Neither does a red-light camera ticket. Parking tickets can most assuredly be safety issues. Parking in a fire zone is a classic example.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #95
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Since it's not a moving violation, but a citation on the automobile, (same as a parking ticket) the court doesn't have to know who was driving. It doesn't make any difference.

    You remind me of an incident the secretary at my real estate office was involved in. She and her girlfriends were out for the evening and, as the gates started coming down on the railroad tracks, the driver decided to keep going anyway -- knowing there were cameras. She brought the photo to work. It showed two gals in the front seat, two gals in the back -- screaming bloody murder as they drove across the tracks. Funniest damned thing I ever saw.

    Not to the driver, though. It was a $500 fine. (And I believe it was​ a moving violation since they did take photographs from the front.)
    In places where I have lived where they took front photos, it is considered a moving violation because the standard of proof is high enough to be so. I'm fine with that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #96
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    As for emergency vehicles It is certainly true in the entire country in the case where the emergency vehicle is a police vehicle and the officer has signaled you to get out of the way. It's also certainly true in jurisdictions that have specific exceptions to obeying traffic control devices that involve yielding to emergency vehicles.

    In places that just mandate yielding for emergency vehicles the expectation given the intent of the regulation is that you get out if the way if safe to do so. I'm willing to bet that most cops wouldn't cite you and if you were cited the judge in all probability would toss it. I'm also willing to bet that if you didn't get out of the way and could you would be cited.

    As far as rushing someone to the hospital - you're right in my state at least there's no exception for that. Again though under the circumstances as long as you don't create a hazard my guess is overwhelmingly you won't get a ticket.
    In certain circumstances, it may be true that one wouldn't get a ticket for going through a red light to yield to emergency vehicles. You don't throw out a whole program because of those flukes. You cannot go through red lights to take someone to the hospital. You're right -- if your wife was having a baby and a copper stopped you for going through a light, he might just drive you to the hospital. Again, flukey doesn't make law.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #97
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The analogy works just fine. The comparison is excellent. Parking Ticket doesn't go on one's driving record. Neither does a red-light camera ticket. Parking tickets can most assuredly be safety issues. Parking in a fire zone is a classic example.
    I can tell you're more Area than Chicago.

    Parking enforcement is done by the city's REVENUE Dept. That right there should tell you something.

    I can't tell you how many tickets I've gotten for completely bogus reasons. Go on down to Superior, plead my case, and than pay the fine. Every time.

  8. #98
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    I can tell you're more Area than Chicago.

    Parking enforcement is done by the city's REVENUE Dept. That right there should tell you something.

    I can't tell you how many tickets I've gotten for completely bogus reasons. Go on down to Superior, plead my case, and than pay the fine. Every time.
    Some of those Chicago drivers are slow learners. J/K
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #99
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Some of those Chicago drivers are slow learners. J/K
    Heh, not too slow, I got rid of my car, they want to ticket me, they'll send that ticket to the CTA...

  10. #100
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Evidence Chicago Red Light Cameras Based on Safety -- System Made $71 Million

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Heh, not too slow, I got rid of my car, they want to ticket me, they'll send that ticket to the CTA...
    There's lots of areas in the city where I wouldn't own a car. Too damned hard to find parking and too expensive to pay for. Good for you!! Smarty Pants you are!!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •