Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    As far as I know this guy was not an al Qaeda member or a member of any known terror organization.
    I do get the feeling however that if a French soldier would have put a bullet in this guy's head a week before he's done anything it would suddenly stop being "an act of war" to you.
    Well it really wouldn't be an act of war genius, just like this one isn't.
    You've missed a few steps in the conversation that lead to that post. You're misapplying what I said to a situation it wasn't referring to.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You could really call it either. In a civil court I would call it murder, in respect to macroeconomic policy I would call it war and or retaliatory attack.

    The only thing I simply can't see it logically being called is a terrorist attack.
    So what is your criteria for an act of terrorism?

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  3. #43
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    So what is your criteria for an act of terrorism?

    Paul
    I would call it "the indiscriminate use of violence against civilian noncombatants for the purposes of creating fear to coerce people towards some political objective."

    Generally speaking I would exclude military targets from the definition of terrorism. In any recognized rules of warfare, it is "legitimate" to attack the enemy's troops. People brought up Ft. Hood and the USS Cole in this thread, I am not willing to call those acts terrorism because I would then be forced to call many US military personnel and intelligence agents terrorists for conducting normal operations of the war on terror.

    As for this incident, we don't really know much other than "brown skinned guy stabbed a soldier." There isn't any actual evidence beyond that. People speculate that it may have been connected to the attack in London.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #44
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    A post ago, you called attacks on military targets war - now they are aggravated murder?



    Nobody I read anywhere said D-Day could be considered a terrorist attack apart from those who deny the use of the word terrorist.
    Everybody is implying D-Day is a terrorist attack because it was an attack for a political purpose, and to instill fear in a certain group (the Nazis).

    That is apparently the sole criteria for terrorism, so pretty much every act of violence in history is terrorism.

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    For it to be a terrorist attack it would need to be planned with the purpose of causing terror in the people it intended to target as a group. In this case soldiers outside of military bases.

    What we dont know yet is how many others might be involved, how planned it was, and its intent. But Im sure if we wait a while we will get some group or another claiming credit and explaining what they were trying to do.

    Offhand, it appears to be terrorism because it has a planned result outside of being just a knife attack.

    I disagree with you regarding Ft Hood. What he yelled during the attack puts another spin on what he did other than a crazed act of murder.
    Every attack, of every kind, military, civilian, terrorist, all of them, have had "a planned result outside of the attack". That's the entire idea of attacks, to cause a result.

    By this loan criteria of yours, EVERYTHING is terrorism. If I go shoot someone on the street, terrorism. Invasion of Iraq? Terrorism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Really now. They could have been administering first aid to their comrade who had been stabbed in the f'in throat or decided not to open fire in a crowded shopping mall, thus acting completely appropriately. There's really no need to regress to stereotype on which we have little information.
    Bull****. No way does it take longer than 5 seconds to shoot someone who just cut your comrade. No self respecting soldier on the planet will start rendering first aid while the enemy is standing 2 feet from him.

    There's no scenario where this is ok. They should be demoted for being worthless cowards.

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    So what is your criteria for an act of terrorism?

    Paul
    It has to be a mass, indiscriminate attack against non-combatants in order to instill fear or cause a desired outcome.

    For example: 9/11, Boston Marathon, Oklahoma City, etc.
    Wrong examples: Punching someone in the face, stabbing someone, or committing crimes while muslim.

  5. #45
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So it is ok to call 9/11 terrorism? You sure you don't want to just call it a bad day for air travel?
    9/11 was obviously terrorism, and had virtually zero similarity to a street stabbing. The fact that some of you can't see the difference is appalling.

    It was a mass, indiscriminate attack on civilians in order to cause fear. Comparing that with a targeted murder of a soldier makes zero sense.

    What confuses me is why everyone cares so much about this one person. Thousands of people are murdered on the streets every day, but people want to freak out about this one? Every death is a tragedy, get over it.

  6. #46
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,210

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You've missed a few steps in the conversation that lead to that post. You're misapplying what I said to a situation it wasn't referring to.
    Yes, I was referring to the stabbing of the French soldier but I could just as well be referring to the Fort Hood shooting you were referring to since they are of the same nature.
    So if a US soldier had killed the Fort Hood shooter a week before he's done anything, would it still be part of that "war" you're talking about? And who exactly are the belligerents in this open war? What are the factions?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #47
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Al-Qaeda and it's Islamist allies have made a tactical shift towards edged weapons and single person knife attacks as a way to bring Western Civilization to its knees. This spate of attacks is sure to go down in history as one of the more decisive blows ever dealt in pursuit of the Caliphate.

  8. #48
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    9/11 was obviously terrorism, and had virtually zero similarity to a street stabbing. The fact that some of you can't see the difference is appalling.

    It was a mass, indiscriminate attack on civilians in order to cause fear. Comparing that with a targeted murder of a soldier makes zero sense.

    What confuses me is why everyone cares so much about this one person. Thousands of people are murdered on the streets every day, but people want to freak out about this one? Every death is a tragedy, get over it.
    Much of the definition of terrorism lies inn the motive of the attack, no? When the IRA bombed a pub in London known to be a hangout for British soldiers, it was terrorism. When the IRA sniped a soldier on the street in Derry it was terrorism. When then IRA kneecapped a Belfast policeman it was terrorism. Makes no difference who the victims were, it was the intent that defines this particular crime.

  9. #49
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Everybody is implying D-Day is a terrorist attack because it was an attack for a political purpose, and to instill fear in a certain group (the Nazis).
    Really? the choice seemed more strategic

    As COSSAC developed that plan, the question of where to land posed problems. The site would have to be within the range of fighter aircraft based in Great Britain but also on ground flat enough to construct the airfields that would become necessary once the invading force moved off the beaches and out of the range of its initial fighter support. The landing zones themselves would have to be sheltered from prevailing winds to facilitate around-the-clock resupply operations and would have to possess enough exits to allow the invading force to proceed inland with as little difficulty as possible. Similarly, the area behind the beaches would have to include a road network adequate to the needs of a force that intended to move rapidly. Since the region would ultimately form a base for the drive across France toward Germany, a series of large ports would also have to be close enough to facilitate the unloading of the massive quantities of supplies and ammunition that would be necessary to sustain the attack.

    The most appropriate location, COSSAC's planners decided, lay directly across the English Channel from Dover in the Pas de Calais region. The area fulfilled many of the Allies' requirements and offered a direct route into the heart of Germany. Since the enemy had recognized that fact, however, and had already begun to construct heavy fortifications along the coast, an alternative had to be found. The most suitable stood farther to the west, along the Normandy coast near Caen and the Cotentin Peninsula. That region contained major ports at Cherbourg and Le Havre and offered a gateway to ports at Brest, Nantes, L'Orient, and St. Nazaire. Allied planners believed that the Germans would undoubtedly sabotage Cherbourg, forcing the invaders to place heavy initial reliance upon the MULBERRIES, but the damage could be repaired and the region itself was less strongly defended than the Pas de Calais.

    Offering, as well, a satisfactory opening into the French interior, it became the site of the invasion.
    Normandy

  10. #50
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Everybody is implying D-Day is a terrorist attack because it was an attack for a political purpose, and to instill fear in a certain group (the Nazis).
    Dr Chuckles beat me to the appropriate response.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    committing crimes while muslim.
    Nobody has claimed this.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    -- What confuses me is why everyone cares so much about this one person. Thousands of people are murdered on the streets every day, but people want to freak out about this one? Every death is a tragedy, get over it.
    It's when it becomes a pattern across different countries that matters. It's when it's done in public - non warzones deliberately to affect ordinary noncombatants.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •