Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

  1. #31
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Correct. In war, you get to attack the other side's troops. That's... sortof how it works. Our soldiers shoot at Al-Qaeda members, why would it be terrorism for them to shoot back?
    As far as I know this guy was not an al Qaeda member or a member of any known terror organization.
    I do get the feeling however that if a French soldier would have put a bullet in this guy's head a week before he's done anything it would suddenly stop being "an act of war" to you.
    Well it really wouldn't be an act of war genius, just like this one isn't.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  2. #32
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post

    So in your brain terrorism and war are the only two options? What do you file murder under?
    Well if you're arguing that it's not terrorism because they've targeted military personnel than murder doesn't come into play at all.

    That's exactly what you seem to argue in the very same post.

    And how does that make it terrorism? Our military/government has also conducted operations in plain clothes.

    The fact is, not every ****ing thing is terrorism. Violence against military targets is simply war. That's the kind of thing you simply open yourself up to when you join the military.

    Why don't you label the thousands of murders every single day as terrorism?

  3. #33
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Well if you're arguing that it's not terrorism because they've targeted military personnel than murder doesn't come into play at all.

    That's exactly what you seem to argue in the very same post.
    You could really call it either. In a civil court I would call it murder, in respect to macroeconomic policy I would call it war and or retaliatory attack.

    The only thing I simply can't see it logically being called is a terrorist attack.

  4. #34
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    I really want to know how this happens, Paris is crawling with heavily armed soldiers.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    -- Violence against military targets is simply war. That's the kind of thing you simply open yourself up to when you join the military --
    Got it. Civilian in a car crash with military convoy gets annoyed and kills or wounds a military driver = war.

    Drunk in a pub in Cyprus, stab and kill a fusilier = war?

    Your argument hasn't improved since you tried to claim D-Day could have been a terrorist attack.

  6. #36
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Got it. Civilian in a car crash with military convoy gets annoyed and kills or wounds a military driver = war.

    Drunk in a pub in Cyprus, stab and kill a fusilier = war?

    Your argument hasn't improved since you tried to claim D-Day could have been a terrorist attack.
    I'd probably call those aggrevated murder. This attack was a highly directed, premeditated attack on a military target. I could see it being called murder, clearly, but terrorism doesn't make any sense at all.

    And my argument was never that D-Day was a terrorist attack, just that by some of you people's horribly deficient logic, it too should be considered one.

    I mean come on, take a step back and actually look at it. A terrorist attack on one person... with a knife... I mean jesus. How crippled with fear has our society become that we're going to compare a knife attack on a soldier with a bombing of many civilians?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'd probably call those aggrevated murder.
    A post ago, you called attacks on military targets war - now they are aggravated murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    -- And my argument was never that D-Day was a terrorist attack, just that by some of you people's horribly deficient logic, it too should be considered one.
    Nobody I read anywhere said D-Day could be considered a terrorist attack apart from those who deny the use of the word terrorist.

  8. #38
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,820

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I'd probably call those aggrevated murder. This attack was a highly directed, premeditated attack on a military target. I could see it being called murder, clearly, but terrorism doesn't make any sense at all.

    And my argument was never that D-Day was a terrorist attack, just that by some of you people's horribly deficient logic, it too should be considered one.

    I mean come on, take a step back and actually look at it. A terrorist attack on one person... with a knife... I mean jesus. How crippled with fear has our society become that we're going to compare a knife attack on a soldier with a bombing of many civilians?
    For it to be a terrorist attack it would need to be planned with the purpose of causing terror in the people it intended to target as a group. In this case soldiers outside of military bases.

    What we dont know yet is how many others might be involved, how planned it was, and its intent. But Im sure if we wait a while we will get some group or another claiming credit and explaining what they were trying to do.

    Offhand, it appears to be terrorism because it has a planned result outside of being just a knife attack.

    I disagree with you regarding Ft Hood. What he yelled during the attack puts another spin on what he did other than a crazed act of murder.

  9. #39
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You could really call it either. In a civil court I would call it murder, in respect to macroeconomic policy I would call it war and or retaliatory attack.

    The only thing I simply can't see it logically being called is a terrorist attack.
    Honestly, IMO the divide is far narrower between war and terrorism than it is between murder and war. I really don't think Muslims would feel less threatened if we designated attacks like these acts of war, and I don't think people in general would see all these politically motivated attacks as merely "murders".
    Last edited by Ben K.; 05-26-13 at 08:39 PM.

  10. #40
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: French Soldier stabbed in Paris, Survives

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, do let me know when something like that happens that you actually disapprove of.
    So the implication I'm getting from you is that if you don't call something terrorism, you can't disapprove of it. Therefore, you don't disapprove of murder, rape, or child molestation.

    Or maybe you want to walk back this vicious insinuation you've made about me. Oh, and maybe even ****ing read the post you quoted and see where I specifically said these actions were "terrible things." Where do you get the nerve to say some bull**** like this?
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-26-13 at 08:50 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •