Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 142

Thread: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Since you want to be clear:

    There is no prohibition on firearms in pharmacies
    Incorrect. All pharmacy employers I worked for prohibited employees from bringing guns or any weapon to work. We were specifically trained to give in to the demands of robbers, make no eye contact, and essentially hope that they choose not to hurt anyone. In most cases they do just want drugs and to leave, but in all cases the employees are unarmed, unguarded, and if the robber gets violent there isn't much that can be done aside from physical force against someone that has a gun.

  2. #62
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Incorrect. All pharmacy employers I worked for prohibited employees from bringing guns or any weapon to work. We were specifically trained to give in to the demands of robbers, make no eye contact, and essentially hope that they choose not to hurt anyone. In most cases they do just want drugs and to leave, but in all cases the employees are unarmed, unguarded, and if the robber gets violent there isn't much that can be done aside from physical force against someone that has a gun.
    That's the owner's policy, not the law so it's not a prohibition.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's the owner's policy, not the law so it's not a prohibition.
    Maybe not prohibition at the legal level, but it's still prohibiting people from bringing guns into pharmacies for the purpose of self defense.

  4. #64
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Maybe not prohibition at the legal level, but it's still prohibiting people from bringing guns into pharmacies for the purpose of self defense.
    Nope. Not a "prohibition" at any level. You're just using hyperbole to make your argument look stronger than it is because your argument needs all the help it can get.

    The only way your use of the word prohibition makes sense is if your view is so perverted you believe that business owners should not be allowed to make policy for their own businesses and have to allow employees to carry while on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nope. Not a "prohibition" at any level. You're just using hyperbole to make your argument look stronger than it is because your argument needs all the help it can get.

    The only way your use of the word prohibition makes sense is if your view is so perverted you believe that business owners should not be allowed to make policy for their own businesses and have to allow employees to carry while on the job.
    Is it prohibited? Yes.

    PS, I never argued using the term "prohibition." I was correcting your statement that there isn't prohibition of guns in pharmacies (which was false). I do think business owners can set policy, it's their private property. However, such policy is wrong and if they aren't going to allow employees to carry they should have an armed guard there. Such policies are not usually based on employee safety but rather on business liability.

  6. #66
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Is it prohibited? Yes.

    PS, I never argued using the term "prohibition." I was correcting your statement that there isn't prohibition of guns in pharmacies (which was false). I do think business owners can set policy, it's their private property. However, such policy is wrong and if they aren't going to allow employees to carry they should have an armed guard there. Such policies are not usually based on employee safety but rather on business liability.
    You have no evidence that employees carrying guns in a pharmacy leads to fewer employees being shot. It is just as likely that the presence of firearms would lead to more employees and customers being shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You have no evidence that employees carrying guns in a pharmacy leads to fewer employees being shot. It is just as likely that the presence of firearms would lead to more employees and customers being shot.
    I know that the people murdered execution style were not armed and killed anyway. The fact is that they were murdered without even a proper way to defend themselves. Their lives were robbed of them and they didn't even have a fighting chance. This, in principal, is wrong.

  8. #68
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I know that the people murdered execution style were not armed and killed anyway. The fact is that they were murdered without even a proper way to defend themselves. Their lives were robbed of them and they didn't even have a fighting chance. This, in principal, is wrong.
    And I know that people have tried to defend themselves with guns and ended up shooting innocent people and getting shot themselves in situations that would not have resulted in anyone being shot if not for the presence of a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #69
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,229

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    They were going to be executed whether they complied or not. Sooner if not.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Victims shot after drugs handed over at Tennessee pharmacy, DA says

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I know that people have tried to defend themselves with guns and ended up shooting innocent people and getting shot themselves in situations that would not have resulted in anyone being shot if not for the presence of a gun.
    And I know of cases where guns saved lives, foiled a robbery, and prevented innocent lives from being taken

    But what I said though is that it is wrong in principal to deny people the ability to protect themselves or even so offering no armed protection against an armed robber via an armed guard.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •