Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 302

Thread: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It was too tall for the lane he was in.
    That's not the load. That's the driver. What about the load was unlawful?

  2. #222
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,471

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's not the load. That's the driver. What about the load was unlawful?
    I didn't say it was unlawful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I didn't say it was unlawful.
    Yes you did. In post 217 you compared yourself to that driver, that you refused an unlawful load, thereby meaning this driver who hit the bridge was hauling an unlawful load.

    What was unlawful about this load, that the driver who hit the bridge should have refused to haul it at all in the first place, as you are doing with your employer now?

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    I've been looking at a couple trucker forums and their general opinion is that the pilot car was to close and either didn't have time to radio back a clearance problem, or there was a problem with the poll which didn't signal a clearance problem at all.

  5. #225
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,471

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes you did. In post 217 you compared yourself to that driver, that you refused an unlawful load, thereby meaning this driver who hit the bridge was hauling an unlawful load.

    What was unlawful about this load, that the driver who hit the bridge should have refused to haul it at all in the first place, as you are doing with your employer now?
    My point, is that the driver is responsible. In my situation, my boss is going to want me to haul an unlawful oversize load. I can't get on the road, something go wrong, then say my boss made me do it. Why? Becsuse the driver is responsible. Soon as I say yes, I assume 100% of the tesponsibility for anything that goes wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    My point, is that the driver is responsible. In my situation, my boss is going to want me to haul an unlawful oversize load. I can't get on the road, something go wrong, then say my boss made me do it. Why? Becsuse the driver is responsible. Soon as I say yes, I assume 100% of the tesponsibility for anything that goes wrong.
    You are held responsible for the maintenance of every bridge you cross? Every road you drive on? So if you have a permit to drive over a certain road with an overweight road, but because that road wasn't properly maintained by the city/county, your oversize load causes the road to give way and wash out....you think that's your fault?

    I'm beginning to truly understand why truckers are so ruff around the edges.

  7. #227
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,471

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I've been looking at a couple trucker forums and their general opinion is that the pilot car was to close and either didn't have time to radio back a clearance problem, or there was a problem with the poll which didn't signal a clearance problem at all.
    If the pilot car didn't have time to alert the driver, the driver was following to close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #228
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    My point, is that the driver is responsible. In my situation, my boss is going to want me to haul an unlawful oversize load. I can't get on the road, something go wrong, then say my boss made me do it. Why? Becsuse the driver is responsible. Soon as I say yes, I assume 100% of the tesponsibility for anything that goes wrong.
    I know in the refinery ive seen safety watches take the burn when someone else was definately responsable. They pull a random guy out of the crowd and say, "Tag you are safety watch!" Then a guy using a scissor lift or manbasket proceedes to do whatever the hell he wants with it and never listen to the safety. Instead of shutting the job down and creating a HUGE stink and wasting man hours for maybe hundreds of people they just go with it. Operator then recklessly pops a high pressure steam pipe (lucky its not boiling hot crude or something) and points his finger at the safety guy. Safety guy tells the truth and says "He wouldnt listen to me and was doing whatever he wanted" and the corporate slavedogs who make decisions locally use that as the final and only important cause.

    Thats just a personal story of my roommate who was in the same industry as me though and 1 of the reasons why he got fired from 1 company we both worked for.

    They also love to roll **** downhill to preserve company resource. AKA if a freshly hired assistant gets fired for doing a crappy safety job then the higher paid technician who pulls the company much, much more money then the company loses less.

    At least the story makes more sense going southbound.

    Dude could have always just stopped though if it was a right of way problem. When cars go into a 1 car each way tunnel they dont rush in at the last second. You stop traffic if you have to and never pass or even think about right of way issues. 1 lane dedicated to this guy is essentially a tunnel. He should have been in the proper lane a mile ahead of time at least.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If the pilot car didn't have time to alert the driver, the driver was following to close.
    I agree with you there.

    I fully understand and agree with the driver having final authority and therefore final responsibility with what happens to his load. Everything up to and including making contact with the bridge, the buck stops with the driver.

    What I do not fault the driver for is the bridge collapsing after being struck, because of the facts of this specific situation. It would be one thing if we had a driver with a questionable safety record who took a few short cuts and struck a perfectly sound bridge. But that's not what happened. We have a driver with an "impeccable" record who took every precaution but still struck an old worn out rusted over bridge.

    The measure of the driver's fault is the damage to his load, the damage of the piece of the bridge he struck, and the resulting insurance rate increases and blemish on his record.

    The driver is not at fault for the collapse because if the bridge had been properly maintained it would not have collapsed.

  10. #230
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Wife of truck driver in bridge collapse says husband has 'impeccable' record

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree with you there.

    I fully understand and agree with the driver having final authority and therefore final responsibility with what happens to his load. Everything up to and including making contact with the bridge, the buck stops with the driver.

    What I do not fault the driver for is the bridge collapsing after being struck, because of the facts of this specific situation. It would be one thing if we had a driver with a questionable safety record who took a few short cuts and struck a perfectly sound bridge. But that's not what happened. We have a driver with an "impeccable" record who took every precaution but still struck an old worn out rusted over bridge.

    The measure of the driver's fault is the damage to his load, the damage of the piece of the bridge he struck, and the resulting insurance rate increases and blemish on his record.

    The driver is not at fault for the collapse because if the bridge had been properly maintained it would not have collapsed.
    If the permit issuer told him "You must be in this lane to cross" and he wasnt then its pretty much 100% the drivers fault. If the permit issuer was lazy and assumed the driver would know, never telling him then it would be the permit issuers fault.

    95% of my experiences with permit issuers is you put the paper in their face and say "Ima' be doing *this*" and they pretend to scan down the whole thing and look for any personal messages then sign it and give you an incredulous look if you dont get out of their face so they can go back to playing facebook games.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •