Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #71
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You didn't merely suggest, but you outright claimed that BSA had little control over whether their scouts gave each other "flack"
    I was speaking of his peers ( you know, kids in general). And outside of scouting functions, they do have little control

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    That's clearly not what I said.

    The BSA is generally a more conservative organization whereas homosexuals are generally an ultra liberal demographic group.

    Homosexuals, particularly young homosexuals, are probably the most liberal demographic there is.

    Part of what makes scouting so appealing to the conservatives that have made up the organization for generations is the belief that hard work and dedication is the route to success. Right or wrong, this is a belief liberals tend to reject. They tend to see success as being the result of the proper skin pigmentation and how wealth one's parents are. I'm not against letting gays into scouts but I wonder how long before the requirements to become an Eagle Scout are modified because it is suddenly culturally biased or single parent households can't take time off to do all the activities.


    Don't get me wrong. I understand the need for propriety. Besides, I'd rather be a towel in a men's water polo lockeroom than a cub scout anyday....................

  3. #73
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I was speaking of his peers ( you know, kids in general). And outside of scouting functions, they do have little control
    So you believe that I have misrepresented your post?

    Oh, the irony!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Keep kicking that horse

    Maybe someday, it'll come to
    In politics, horses never die.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    So no court precedent to quote, just your opinion of what is flowing is 'logic'?

    So in this case, not vague stream of 'logic', the courts have ruled a business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, such as race, sex, or orientation?

    Has the court ruled that if a diner open to the public refuses to make a sammich for a black guy that is Constitutional?

    Did I miss a whole slew of recent court rulings?
    So your argument is not one of reason, but simply one of appealing to authority? Would you like to try something that isn't a fallacy?

    Perhaps you would like to argue against my logic with logic of your own?

  6. #76
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So your argument is not one of reason, but simply one of appealing to authority? Would you like to try something that isn't a fallacy?

    Perhaps you would like to argue against my logic with logic of your own?
    When it comes to determining what the law is, appeals to authority are legitimate and not fallacious as long as the authority is a legitimate one
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #77
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Meh. About the only folks facing this are those parents deciding whether to let their eight year old go on that scout camping trip with the Eagle Scouts. With the large exodus in scouting the last couple decades I don't know if this will hurt or help their membership.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]BBC News - Boy Scouts of America votes to ease ban on gay members

    Good for the Scouts.

    And I eagerly await the freakishly hateful statements that will inevitably come from people like the Family Research Council.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Amen! Good on them!

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Meh. About the only folks facing this are those parents deciding whether to let their eight year old go on that scout camping trip with the Eagle Scouts. With the large exodus in scouting the last couple decades I don't know if this will hurt or help their membership.
    It was Conservatives who launched a kulturkampf.......................

  10. #80
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The ban on openly gay adult leaders is still disgusting though.
    Agreed. They still act out of ignorance it seems.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •