Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #491
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]BBC News - Boy Scouts of America votes to ease ban on gay members

    Good for the Scouts.

    And I eagerly await the freakishly hateful statements that will inevitably come from people like the Family Research Council.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    we can all agree that kids are better off when they are in Scouting.
    Yes, we can agree on this.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #492
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Here is a fun little question..

    Is it the job of the supreme court to update the constitution or to simply uphold it.

    Of course, the people that support the living constitution claim they are not updating the constitution, but merely addressing a set of economic facts that did not exist when the Constitution was framed. You know what we call that? Updating the Constitution. Yeah...
    YOU call it updating the Constitution. And you would be wrong about that. The Constitution is both a powerful and variable document, one so powerful and variable that it can be used to address situations occurring 225+ years after it was written. There is rarely a need to add something; near everything that it needed to even interpret and deal with today's issues are right there.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #493
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yeah! And when they let black people in, they started listenin to that hip hop and wearing saggy pants and gold chains right?

    No seriously this is exactly what you're doing.
    Did the BS ever not allow blacks in? News to me.

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Do you realize just how stupid this stuff sounds when you post it? I hear no one wanting to change any of the structure or procedures of the Boy Scouts.
    It was humor, chill.

  5. #495
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's circular reasoning. You are justifying intent by claiming... intent.
    That is all I need. Your argument is obviously illogical due to the intent of the document itself.

    Firstly, intent is variable. There were many who had a hand in creating the Constitution... and many differing views. Intent was not universal.
    Your kidding, right? The dispute on the commerce clause like it is with the welfare clause centers around Hamilton and Madison. Hamilton in many ways you could say argued for how it is interpreted today while Madison argued for what I'm telling you it means. Madison is considered the mind behind the commerce clause for a reason and one such reason is that he won the debate on the meaning of the commerce clause. Of course, you could say that due to it being ignored Hamilton won the war.

    Secondly, since much of the Constitution was written in generalities, intent is fairly irrelevant. Generalities allow for a variety of situations to be applied. Beyond that, how a law was created is not always equivalent to how it is applied or can be applied. And, just because you disagree with this doesn't mean it's not accurate.
    What I said is a generality. Lets review: "The commerce was intended to solve trade disputes between the listed members." That is a general statement.

    The law doesn't violate the 1st and 13 Amendments because one must look at the Commerce Clause in conjunction. None of these things live in a vacuum.
    That is dumbest argument I ever seen. Are you honestly saying that because its a power of congress that it can not by definition violate any of the amendments? Really? Yes, the parts of the Constitution do not live in a vacuum and its one reason they can not use powers of congress to violate the amendments.


    I've told you. I have no use for a narrow interpretation of the Constitution. Nor do many others. Intent is not only variable and relative but becomes less applicable as time passes.
    There is not one instance of that happening. Your argument seems to be that I want more and its just not acceptable to not get it. The point of the document is to keep people like yourself in the corner crying.

    It is perfectly reasonable to use the Commerce Clause in the way it was used in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Since that clause applies to private business operations between states, the application in this matter is justified. This is probably why it was never declared unconstitutional; because it wasn't. Intent has no relevancy here.
    Which has nothing to do with the commerce clause. In any event, I could just as easily argue that it affects commerce in state lines and therefore not applicable to that commerce. Unless you want to argue that accepting people into my store is interstate commerce. That should be a fun argument to make.
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-28-13 at 01:17 PM.

  6. #496
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    YOU call it updating the Constitution. And you would be wrong about that. The Constitution is both a powerful and variable document, one so powerful and variable that it can be used to address situations occurring 225+ years after it was written. There is rarely a need to add something; near everything that it needed to even interpret and deal with today's issues are right there.
    Yeah, I have seen that argument before. It's the old argument that I can take a document of limited powers and make it reach to whatever I want. It's based on nothing but illogical thought patterns.

  7. #497
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yeah, I have seen that argument before. It's the old argument that I can take a document of limited powers and make it reach to whatever I want. It's based on nothing but illogical thought patterns.
    Just like I would not want to live with 18th century understanding of medical science I don't want to live with 18th century understanding of the US Constitution. While the library of information has worth it is not the 18th century. Hence the knowledge is living and organic evolving with time

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Just like I would not want to live with 18th century understanding of medical science I don't want to live with 18th century understanding of the US Constitution. While the library of information has worth it is not the 18th century. Hence the knowledge is living and organic evolving with time
    Then what do you want exactly? Do you just want the will of the government and the majority without restraint? If not, what else do you expect to get with such foolishness?

  9. #499
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Did the BS ever not allow blacks in? News to me.
    The Point




    Your head

    Also, yes, actually. They used to exclude black people, but that practice (mostly) ended nearly a century ago. It took much longer to integrate troops though, black scouts had the "separate but (not) equal" troops until like the freaking 70's.
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-28-13 at 09:24 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #500
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then what do you want exactly? Do you just want the will of the government and the majority without restraint? If not, what else do you expect to get with such foolishness?
    I expect to live in the21st century just like I do and you do too. And you dont know enough to call me a fool. I do know enough to call you a smartass though.

Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •