Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Is that your opinion or a court tested fact? Best I can recall the business doesn't have a right to refuse customers due to race, ethnicity, and a long rather well known list.
    Logical flow.

    Everyone has the right to associate with who they please.
    Everyone has the right to property which includes the right to control access
    Everyone has a right to their own labor.

    When the government makes laws telling people they must associate with someone they are violating their right to association.
    When the government tells people they must allow someone on their property or allow them to stay on their property they are violating their right to property
    When the government tells people they must do business with someone they are making that person a involuntary servant of the other person and such violating the 13th amendment.

  2. #32
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,882
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    When the hell will we get past this idiocy of having to embrace every damned proclivity a person might have? There have been gays in the BSA probably forever. I don't recall ever seeing "gender identity and/or sexual preference" on any of the applications. If you were in the scouts and you were gay and you kept it to yourself then there never was a problem. If, however, you decided to make it an issue then you were being disruptive and you were out. The same applied to people who made their religion an issue or made their ethnicity an issue.

    When I was in the service it was the same way. I can't imagine that some percentage of the guys I served with weren't gay but they didn't make it an issue so it wasn't a problem. What counts is what you do with your life and how you conduct yourself, not your damned "gender identity". That's your own personal thing to deal with and I don't need to know about it.

    Why the hell should I have to respect you just because you're queer? What makes you so damned special that you can just circumvent all the other crap that goes into EARNING respect?

    This wasn't a courageous decision by the scouts. It was acquiescing to popular opinion. This wasn't loyalty to ones principles. It was utter abandonment of those principles.
    What the hell are you going on about? When I was in the Scouts, we had an incident where one of the kids at our Summer Camp was rumored to be gay. He got a lot of **** for it, people making fun of him stuff like that.

    Guess what happened last day of camp? His family showed up, with his girlfriend. All of that just because he acted differently.

    There is nothing wrong with a scout being gay. What we did have was an environment that treated it like it was some major problem. We asked boys who probably had a hard enough time being gay as it was subvert who they are, and for what? ****ing nothing.

    This was **** rule. No 'morals' or principles about it. Just plain ****.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  3. #33
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Indeed. Your point? The right to association and the right to property still allows them to decide access and allows them to do business with whomever they please. Your cries about discrimination are crying about something that is a protected right.
    Freedom of speech is a protected right to. BSA is not protected from complaints of how they discriminate and those complaints do not deny them their right to associate.

    BSA decided to associate with gay scouts. Deal with it
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #34
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Is that your opinion or a court tested fact? Best I can recall the business doesn't have a right to refuse customers due to race, ethnicity, and a long rather well known list.
    AFAIK, there is no federal law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation aside from prohibiting it by the federal govt.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Freedom of speech is a protected right to. BSA is not protected from complaints of how they discriminate and those complaints do not deny them their right to associate.

    BSA decided to associate with gay scouts. Deal with it
    I have no problem with any of that. That has nothing to do with my point.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Oh, sweet Jesus, save us from the worldwide conspiracy of florists, fashionistas, and upper class au pairs..................Oh, the humanity....................

  7. #37
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have no problem with any of that. That has nothing to do with my point.
    Your point has nothing to do with BSA's decision
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #38
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Why the hell should I have to respect you just because you're queer? What makes you so damned special that you can just circumvent all the other crap that goes into EARNING respect?
    Hysterics aside, nothing in this decision would alter the chosen criteria and standards of the BSA. What you see as somehow preferential is in fact merely an opportunity (or rather, should be) to live up to said same standards without the taint of preconceived notions.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Your point has nothing to do with BSA's decision
    True enough. It is however meaningful enough to point out.

  10. #40
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    True enough. It is however meaningful enough to point out.
    Keep kicking that horse

    Maybe someday, it'll come to
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •