Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #311
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, for some reason people believe that all other rights are somehow trumped if you want service from a business. I know.
    Businesses don't have the right to discriminate
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Businesses don't have the right to discriminate
    Yes, you believe you have the right to involuntary servants, the right to enter and use other peoples property, and of course, the right to force people to associate with you. Thanks for reminding me.

    Want to start practicing logic at some point?

  3. #313
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,646

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Why is this so damned hard to understand? Pretty much everybody would agree that you don't put prepubescent boys and girls together in the same tent and you damned sure don't do it when they're teens. You also don't send some adult male off into the wilderness all alone with a group of girls. That's pretty easy to understand but for some weird reason that same common sense shouldn't apply to homosexuals? Why the hell not!!??

  4. #314
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Neither of those statements are particularly true. The Boy Scouts, as an organization, is indeed run by loony Mormons, but the individual troop leaders vary as much as anyone else. Same with the individual members.



    If that's true, it's probably because conservatives keep trying to reduce them to subhuman status and strip away their rights. Would you support a faction that was trying to do that to you? Sexual orientation has nothing to do with one's positions on the fourth amendment, guns, or fiscal policy, however.



    Pretty much no part of this is true. Scouting has nothing to do with a proposition about hard work. It's about community service, the outdoors, and teamwork. Those are the three elements that pretty much every scouting activity is about. I've been involved with scouting for eighteen years. You can trust me on this. But let's hit the other nonsense assertion. "Errg, librulz hate hard werk!" Some of us (because liberals are less homogeneous in their positions than conservatives) view success as a team activity. Not the individual "I did it all by myself" nonsense that some conservatives (apparently you) like to tout. The idea that a person's success comes from them and them alone is a fantasy.



    Race card! Those poor whites, so discriminated against by only having nine times as much average wealth as blacks.



    Right, that's why the left keeps doing all that "rich bashing" that conservatives get so incensed about. Because we're secretly oligarchs who want to ensure that the wealthy keep all the money. That's why we keep deregulating business and slashing taxes on the rich and protecting their offshore money. Do you only get your information in the form of talking points?



    And then the slippery slope. Because apparently there's a similarity between banning a demographic from enjoying an American institution and having difficult requirements for an achievement. Man, if we let those blacks into our schools, how long before you only need a 40% to graduate and get your diploma? See how stupid that sounds?



    What exactly do you think involuntary servitude is? Because I do not think it means what you think it means. Especially when you said that owning other people was already illegal when the 13th amendment was enacted. Have you studied American history? Say, around the 1860s? Seriously, I don't think you understand what involuntary servitude is.



    And that's generally what is proposed to do to the Boy Scouts if they keep discriminating. And let me tell you, the BSA does not have the kind of money to build its own buildings. Nor to pay full price for the space it uses for the Jamboree. The Boy Scouts gets a lot of benefits from the federal government. And the price they have to pay for those benefits is that they can't discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or many other elements. Honestly, the program shouldn't be sex-exclusive, either. The Girl Scouts and Venturers (who don't engage in all this discriminatory BS) are a different organization.



    Quoting this quote. I like it very much.




    I really like your post.

    I was going to read through this thread and reply to some posts, but you've pretty well got all of my talking points covered.

    Robert Green Ingersoll was a great man. He was a staunch, conservative Republican and an agnostic. He would be totally out of place in today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  5. #315
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, you believe you have the right to involuntary servants, the right to enter and use other peoples property, and of course, the right to force people to associate with you. Thanks for reminding me.

    Want to start practicing logic at some point?
    No, you believe you can make nonsense up and people will not laugh at your weak posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #316
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I know gays and they all are effeminate.

    Wrong. You think they're only gay if you recognize it. (Why? Well, who knows?) You have met many, many gay people, men and women, without having the faintest clue about their orientation.

    Everyone has, without exception.
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  7. #317
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How is that argument working for conservatives and gay marriage? I'm guessing they aren't about to lose or anything.








    It only applies where there is right of people. No one has the right to access other peoples property, to force people to associate with them, or force people into servitude.



    Someone has to inform you of your errors. How else are you going to learn?


    You are the one who is making errors.

    The ideas that you push worked out great for the G-nO-P last November, eh?





    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

  8. #318
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you believe you can make nonsense up and people will not laugh at your weak posts




    The man's living in a dream world where he makes the rules and the rest of us follow them.

    I may put him on my ignore list.

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    You are the one who is making errors.

    The ideas that you push worked out great for the G-nO-P last November, eh?
    What is the G-nO-P? Google returned a big fat zero on that.

    If you mean GOP, then no, I'm not a republican.

  10. #320
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What is the G-nO-P? Google returned a big fat zero on that.

    If you mean GOP, then no, I'm not a republican.
    Don't feed him straight lines.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •