Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #231
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Kids are the group with the highest level of acceptance of homosexuals.

    On this issue, it's adults, particularly the older adults, who are being cruel
    Please, make the laughing stop! You can't have ever spent any time around kids if you think that.

  2. #232
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    While polling does indicate the "younger" generation is more accepting of homosexuality, I haven't seen many polls define that as what we would consider children. usually it's something like people under 50, or 35
    Actually, it's under 30 and the difference between them and older groups is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #233
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Actually, it's under 30
    Different polls are going to have different definitions

    and the difference between them and older groups is huge.
    Yes, I agree. But young adults are a drastically different group than school aged children

  4. #234
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Please, make the laughing stop! You can't have ever spent any time around kids if you think that.
    hell, kids aren't even "accepting" of other kids if they wear glasses or have red hair.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #235
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Well your argument was that they would be interacting in scouts. My point is they will also be interacting outside of it. It's like school bullying, which doesn't usually happen in the middle of a teachers lesson
    No, my argument was that there should be no reason to assume that just because they interact at scouts, they would be teasing others during scouting activities. In such a situation, they are less likely to tease each other because of the level of activity generally involved in scouting and the fact that one of the reasons for scouts is to teach respect for others. It isn't like school bullying because school has down time, where the students will be interacting without a teacher present for extended periods of time, whereas in scouts, not a whole lot of these times arise. Plus, at school, the adults are dealing with different types of students because all those kids have to be there. In scouts, they are there voluntarily. The majority of those who would cause issues in school are not likely to be in scouts. There are going to be exceptions to this, but in general, it is true.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #236
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Different polls are going to have different definitions
    SO what?

    All the polls I've seen consistently show acceptance is higher among younger people



    Yes, I agree. But young adults are a drastically different group than school aged children
    Doesn't seem to be true when it comes to this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #237
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, my argument was that there should be no reason to assume that just because they interact at scouts, they would be teasing others during scouting activities. In such a situation, they are less likely to tease each other because of the level of activity generally involved in scouting and the fact that one of the reasons for scouts is to teach respect for others. It isn't like school bullying because school has down time, where the students will be interacting without a teacher present for extended periods of time, whereas in scouts, not a whole lot of these times arise. Plus, at school, the adults are dealing with different types of students because all those kids have to be there. In scouts, they are there voluntarily. The majority of those who would cause issues in school are not likely to be in scouts. There are going to be exceptions to this, but in general, it is true.
    The whole teasing issue is a red herring. It's not like being in the scouts is going to result in more teasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #238
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, my argument was that there should be no reason to assume that just because they interact at scouts, they would be teasing others during scouting activities.
    And as I said, school bullying doesn't happen in a middle of a lesson. it occurs in places like the hallway, bathroom, when kids arrive and leave school

    In such a situation, they are less likely to tease each other because of the level of activity generally involved in scouting and the fact that one of the reasons for scouts is to teach respect for others.
    Right, but how we want kids to behave and how they act are often not the same thing

    It isn't like school bullying because school has down time, where the students will be interacting without a teacher present for extended periods of time, whereas in scouts, not a whole lot of these times arise.
    I doubt bullying happens in those instances already. Even the account cited here concerned kids at a camp outing. So i still see it having little impact on it

    Plus, at school, the adults are dealing with different types of students because all those kids have to be there. In scouts, they are there voluntarily. The majority of those who would cause issues in school are not likely to be in scouts. There are going to be exceptions to this, but in general, it is true.
    The reason bullying is such an issue is because it's not something solely engage in by 'bad kids" It's rather ubiquitous

  9. #239
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Right.

    And no one has a right to born either.

    Believe what you want to believe.

    Check back with me in thirty years and tell me how your wacky ideas are working out.

    Have a nice day and a wonderful life.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself. ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    Henrin is correct. You're out of your darn mind if you think everyone has a right to join any club they want.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  10. #240
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    SO what?
    Well, you made some definitive statement about what was going to be defined as a 'younger generation, when such a statement simply isn't true.

    All the polls I've seen consistently show acceptance is higher among younger people{/quote]

    right, but young adults are not the same as school kids.





    Doesn't seem to be true when it comes to this issue.

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •