Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 565

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

  1. #121
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,883
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    kids teasing someone for being gay isn't the same as the kid actually being gay (as you even outlined in your original post). Any competent scoutmaster/person can easily recognize this
    What makes you think the scoutmasters wouldn't have asked him to step aside just because they didn't want to actually deal with the situation? Nearly everyone thought he was. I wouldn't have been surprised if they hadn't just tossed him out to avoid actually dealing with it.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,630

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So your argument is not one of reason, but simply one of appealing to authority? Would you like to try something that isn't a fallacy? Perhaps you would like to argue against my logic with logic of your own?
    The 'authority' I asked for you to cite is the very basis for our form of governance, the body with the legal logic that has guided us thus far. If I had to say your 'logic' is flawed as each and every example isn't how we govern ourselves.

    No 'right' you claim is without limits. In a purely capitalistic world, perhaps but we at least pretend to be a form of democracy.

    You have a right to hang with your friends but not to exclude a man from your hotel or diner due to his race, or sexual orientation. When it comes to the Boy Scouts, the topic at hand, I don't believe a court order forced them to accept gay boys in the Scouts, so your 'rights' were never in question.

    The Courts have long since ruled civil rights are in fact rights and a business open to the public must not discriminate.

    I understand there are some who feel their particular set of individual rights trump the set we use now, how some ever until the minority who feel like you change the laws we use, and when it suits some we are a nation of laws, then the individual rights you claim to have are not possible.

  3. #123
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    And yet they continue to discriminate against girls...

  4. #124
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Assuming an openly gay man is like the stereotype is just ridiculous.
    I'm not assuming that at all. I am saying that some of them are. Why can't you acknowledge that? Come up with a counter to the argument that a flamboyant, openly-gay guy in Scouts would be uncomfortable to an awful lot of people? Or don't you think that's true?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #125
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,883
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The reality is this is the beginning of the end for the BSA. The activist that pushed for this will next push to end gender based scouting all together and put the boy scouts and girl scouts in one group called the scouts. These people hate everything the BSA stands for and their intent is to destroy or at least fundamentally change the entire organization.
    You have no clue what you're talking about. This is a great thing for the BSA. There was no reason to have this ban.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  6. #126
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    And yet they continue to discriminate against girls...
    really ?

    are there still discriminations against women girls in this world ?_

    hehe
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  7. #127
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    You have no clue what you're talking about. This is a great thing for the BSA. There was no reason to have this ban.
    It's wonderful for gay kids. It's wonderful for straight kids. Win all around.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #128
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No one has a right to be in the boy scouts though.




    Right.

    And no one has a right to born either.

    Believe what you want to believe.

    Check back with me in thirty years and tell me how your wacky ideas are working out.

    Have a nice day and a wonderful life.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself. ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  9. #129
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm not assuming that at all. I am saying that some of them are. Why can't you acknowledge that? Come up with a counter to the argument that a flamboyant, openly-gay guy in Scouts would be uncomfortable to an awful lot of people? Or don't you think that's true?
    Yes that is what you are assuming when you say being openly gay has "connotations" to it.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #130
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,883
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Boy Scouts vote to welcome gay members

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's wonderful for gay kids. It's wonderful for straight kids. Win all around.
    Indeed.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •