Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    WASHINGTON (AP) — A far-reaching bill to remake the nation's immigration system is headed to the full Senate, where tough battles are brewing on gay marriage, border security and other contentious issues, with the outcome impossible to predict.

    The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the measure 13-5 Tuesday night, setting up an epic showdown on the Senate floor after Congress' Memorial Day recess. The legislation is one of President Barack Obama's top domestic priorities — yet it also gives the Republican Party a chance to recast itself as more appealing to minorities.
    The Immigration Overhaul Bill has passed the Senate Judicairy Committee, and now heads to the Senate Floor. I believe this is a good bill. Why? Because, due to austerity, we are not going to be able to come close to having enough manpower to enforce immigration laws, so we have to be pragmatic, and make sure that those illegals who are already here, are brought into citizenship and legalization, where they will be paying taxes on what they earn. I would rather it not be this way, but we really have no choice.

    What do you think?

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    My son is currently training his East Indian replacement. So even without this bill, I would expect so see more and more of this.

    Under the bill, the number of highly skilled workers admitted to the country would increase greatly, but there were also protections aimed at ensuring U.S. workers get the first shot at jobs, and high-tech companies objected to some of those.
    Under the deal, companies in which foreign labor accounts for at least 15 percent of the skilled workforce would be subjected to tighter conditions than businesses less dependent on H-1B visa holders, and requirements on recruiting and hiring and firing of U.S. workers would be relaxed.

    The bill will pass because the Republicans no longer dare to take a stand against immigration. How this actually "solves" anything (for Americans) is beyond me. I do support immigration but I'm less enthusiasic about H1B which basically allows American companies to replace their American labor with cheaper foreign labor that greatly helps other countries at our expense.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    I think a whole lot of illegals do pay taxes and SS, they just can't get any out because they are illegals.

  4. #4
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    This will make some play until it gets to the house where it will die a screaming death. No one in the house who wants to keep their position will vote to allow more H1Bs in the current environment.

    Btw, we have all the manpower we need to enforce immigration law. What we lack is the willingness to do so on the part of multiple presidential administrations.

  5. #5
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I think a whole lot of illegals do pay taxes and SS, they just can't get any out because they are illegals.
    If that were the case, they're committing fraud by using someone else's or someone deceased social security number.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    If that were the case, they're committing fraud by using someone else's or someone deceased social security number.
    Which is why they don't make a claim for it. In case you haven't noticed, the IRS is very tight-lipped about that which has been a huge criticism that they are interfering with the ability of Immigration to track illegals. They wouldn't be protecting them if there wasn't money to be made at it.

  7. #7
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    I am against any immigration reform that grants legal status to people who are here illegally.All we will get is more amnesty,more people on welfare and other tax payer funded services and hollow promises of enforcement that will be gutted or funding removed.Border security and any other enforcement provisions can and will be removed at the whims of traitorous politicians who are busy tossing the salad of pro-illegal scum while once those 12-20 million plus people are legalized their legal status will not be revoked. The only thing this reform does is ensure that we have triple to quadrupole the amount of illegals we have in 20-30 years from now while politicians pretend that that only solution is mass round up and that somehow we can't do that while ignoring the fact Oklahoma,Arizona, Alabama and other states did not need amnesty to solve their illegal immigration problem.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I am against any immigration reform that grants legal status to people who are here illegally.All we will get is more amnesty,more people on welfare and other tax payer funded services and hollow promises of enforcement that will be gutted or funding removed.Border security and any other enforcement provisions can and will be removed at the whims of traitorous politicians who are busy tossing the salad of pro-illegal scum while once those 12-20 million plus people are legalized their legal status will not be revoked. The only thing this reform does is ensure that we have triple to quadrupole the amount of illegals we have in 20-30 years from now while politicians pretend that that only solution is mass round up and that somehow we can't do that while ignoring the fact Oklahoma,Arizona, Alabama and other states did not need amnesty to solve their illegal immigration problem.
    Doesn't work that way, James. To get Social Services, you need to provide proof of your citizenship or legal residency status, as well as provide a SS card. Fake documents might get by a prospective employer, but it won't get past the welfare department. I can say that, here in Texas, there are almost no illegals at all collecting welfare checks. The only reason people think there are is becuase of the lies spewed by Rush Limbaugh and his ilk. That's not to say that illegals get no aid at all. Churches help many of them out, but what they get are NOT from any government program, except in education, where the kids are still required to go to school.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Doesn't work that way, James. To get Social Services, you need to provide proof of your citizenship or legal residency status, as well as provide a SS card. Fake documents might get by a prospective employer, but it won't get past the welfare department. I can say that, here in Texas, there are almost no illegals at all collecting welfare checks. The only reason people think there are is becuase of the lies spewed by Rush Limbaugh and his ilk. That's not to say that illegals get no aid at all. Churches help many of them out, but what they get are NOT from any government program, except in education, where the kids are still required to go to school.
    That's nice, and I almost believe that since it's Texas, but the same is not true across all states. Illegals can and do receive aid and social services.

    I take that back, I don't believe that's true for Texas either. Simple way to get around it, have a kid.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Immigration bill heads to full Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I am against any immigration reform that grants legal status to people who are here illegally.All we will get is more amnesty,more people on welfare and other tax payer funded services and hollow promises of enforcement that will be gutted or funding removed.Border security and any other enforcement provisions can and will be removed at the whims of traitorous politicians who are busy tossing the salad of pro-illegal scum while once those 12-20 million plus people are legalized their legal status will not be revoked. The only thing this reform does is ensure that we have triple to quadrupole the amount of illegals we have in 20-30 years from now while politicians pretend that that only solution is mass round up and that somehow we can't do that while ignoring the fact Oklahoma,Arizona, Alabama and other states did not need amnesty to solve their illegal immigration problem.
    Add to that, allowing 12 - 20 million Mexican's (let's face it that's what we're talking about primarily here) into now legal voting status says bu bye to the GOP. The Republican's are being fleeced here, they absolutely can't win, so why not push for enforcement of our existing laws, enforcement and legislation to prevent illegal voting, and border security? It's NOT like they're going to win over any hearts and minds caving on this.. Once passed (if passed) the Dems will simply offer more goodies, more than the GOP constituency will allow them to offer, and then the GOP will REALLY find themselves in a hole too deep to dig out of demographically. The Latinos that voted for the GOP in the last and previous elections will continue to vote that way. The newly found amnesty aliens will give the democrats a dominant voting block in the always red south-central, southeast, and southwestern United States.

    If the GOP doesn't get this, they really are a sore bunch!

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •