Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 361

Thread: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

  1. #71
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,610

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The five most popular answers given at congressional hearings:

    1) I don't know
    2) I don't know
    3) I don't know
    4) I don't know
    5) uh..........I don't know
    Sounds like Issa talking about his involvement in Bush's disastrous Wide Receiver gun walking fiasco.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    the 5th is to protect against self incrimination of a crime. not so you can protect others
    Also she made an opening state which means she waves that 5th amendment right
    A whole thread of amateur teapartiers mangling the constitution. It's almost cute.

  4. #74
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    So the new tea party meme is if the 5th amendment imputes guilt to everybody who invokes that constitutional right?
    No, that's a very old and common supposition, but you being a lawyer should have known that.

  5. #75
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    She certainly has the right to invoke the 5th, and that should be respected. It doesn't mean the investigation ends, it just means the investgators will have to use other means to get the information they need to determine if a crime has been committed.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #76
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,453

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    They're trying to wear everyone out and it appears the whole chain of command is willing to say whatever they need to in order to stretch it out another day.
    Does anyone but me find it odd that everything seems to be coming to light at the same time? That defies logic, and makes me wonder why it's happening now. Too convenient, IMO. Overloading us with so many scandals at once serves who's purpose? Most of this stuff has been known by DC for a long time, as we are finding out. So we're to believe that suddenly every unhappy person in authority all decided to come forward at the same time? Are the stars in the universe aligned against this administration or something? Possible perhaps, but neither probable nor believable, IMO. :

  7. #77
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,003

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Look, the way I see it, Democrats and Republicans are BOTH being douche bags over this.

    1) Back in the McCarthy era, people lost their ability to make a living because they took the 5th Amendment, and it turned out they were not Communists at all. They were just exercising their Constitutional rights. Seems the GOP wants to bring back McCarthyism, along with the character assassinations and convictions by innuendo that went along with it.

    2) But let's not forget, whether Obama knew about it or not, he is still the President, and responsibility for an out of control IRS rests squarely upon his shoulders. I won't accept excuses. Obama is ultimately responsible. But many Democrats won't see it that way, because they can't see past the (D) after his name.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #78
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,784

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    She certainly has the right to invoke the 5th, and that should be respected. It
    doesn't mean the investigation ends, it just means the investgators will have to use other means to get the information they need to determine if a crime has been committed.
    The next time the IRS audits you and wants select information why don't you just plead the fifth and see how that works for you.

    Sure she may have that right, but we reserve the right to equate her silence to either her guilt, or the fact that she is hiding something.

  9. #79
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,453

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Apparently the committee didn't think so. I heard they dismissed her after she stated she is taking the fifth.
    Why waste time? Apparently it's none of our business to learn why decisions were made to do what was done, I guess. :

  10. #80
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Look, the way I see it, Democrats and Republicans are BOTH being douche bags over this.

    1) Back in the McCarthy era, people lost their ability to make a living because they took the 5th Amendment, and it turned out they were not Communists at all. They were just exercising their Constitutional rights. Seems the GOP wants to bring back McCarthyism, along with the character assassinations and convictions by innuendo that went along with it.

    2) But let's not forget, whether Obama knew about it or not, he is still the President, and responsibility for an out of control IRS rests squarely upon his shoulders. I won't accept excuses. Obama is ultimately responsible. But many Democrats won't see it that way, because they can't see past the (D) after his name.
    Your point #2, Like! But can't like your post for its #1. I think most others understand why.

    The committee never should have let her make a statement. Especially because they were given a head's up that she intended to invoke the 5th Amendment, they should have proceeded into questioning immediately. In no courtroom in the country can someone make a statement in testimony. And certainly, most especially, when they are invoking the 5th Amendment. That was a blunder by the committee, in my opinion.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •