Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 361

Thread: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

  1. #261
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Culpability. They're protecting those above them by attempting to muddy the waters to avoid any guilt at all. It's the administrative equivalent of, "I dunno. **** happens." Or, if you like, "What difference does it make?" We're just trying to make certain it never happens again. Until it does, after which we'll make sure it never, ever happens again. Until it does...But hey, we got away with it, didn't we? And nobody lost their job, benefits, or went to jail. We win, we win! **** off, Tea Party.
    More like, "**** off America".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #262
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Thanks for illustrating point... people are making a mountain out of a molehill. There really is nothing here other than a bunch of bureaucrats using a short-cut to get their jobs done expediently because they are understaffed. The Cons have conjured up most of this hysteria because they need Obama to fail... The election is over; the economy seems to be working in his favor and the Cons have no original ideas or a political agenda.

    When this all shakes out, those that are honest with themselves are going to feel foolish to buying into an hysteria based on what they think might have gone wrong (what I hope went wrong) ahead of actual facts.

  3. #263
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    how could a humble dp poster like the prof know 15 months ago and not the president?

    IRS won't move tax status of Richmond tea party - WeeklyStandard

    IRS Battling Tea Party Groups Over Tax-Exempt Status - HuffPo

    why are shulman, miller and lerner lying?
    Again, you do not need to apply to be a 501(c)(4), you declare yourself one. What most of these organizations sought was a determination letter given that their very nature put them in borderline status. They were trying to use 501(c)(4) status for their benefit (you don't have to disclose donors), though 501(c)(4) was not designed for political organizations. Of course the IRS is going to pause and challenge the application: its borderline, at best. Most of the organizations should have been 527s.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 05-25-13 at 04:17 PM.

  4. #264
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Again, you do not need to apply to be a 501(c)(4), you declare yourself one. What most of these organizations sought was a determination letter given that their very nature put them in borderline status. They were trying to use 501(c)(4) status for their benefit (you don't have to disclose donors), though 501(c)(4) was not designed for political organizations. Of course the IRS is going to pause and challenge the application: its borderline, at best. Most of the organizations should have been 527s.
    Why did the IRS only go after Conservative orgs, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #265
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth


  6. #266
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    It is much to do about nothing. I actually have a decent understanding of what is happening here and most do not. It is actually quite comical how politicians and their constituencies are falling all over themselves crying for jail time, firings, impeachment, etc. When this all shakes out, people are going to feel quite foolish and those that tried to tell us how this was the greatest scandal since (well, the last greatest scandal) are going to look quite foolish.

    The emperor has no clothes. The Cons will wish they spent this time and attention on Benghazi (or better yet, the AP scandal).
    Even the IRS isn't defending the IRS. It takes an incredible degree of partisanship to call this nothing.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #267
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You sir, are closer to the truth then all but a few people on this board..... except, at the end of the day, there isn't really a strategic abuse of power; its lower level people that took short-cuts to get the job done.
    link please, thank you
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #268
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Thanks for illustrating point... people are making a mountain out of a molehill. There really is nothing here other than a bunch of bureaucrats using a short-cut to get their jobs done expediently because they are understaffed. The Cons have conjured up most of this hysteria because they need Obama to fail... The election is over; the economy seems to be working in his favor and the Cons have no original ideas or a political agenda.

    When this all shakes out, those that are honest with themselves are going to feel foolish to buying into an hysteria based on what they think might have gone wrong (what I hope went wrong) ahead of actual facts.
    slightly liberal hey? I cant say as I blame you for being "slightly" ashamed of being a liberal, on that you are spot on. cool aid cool aid, taste great
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  9. #269
    Advisor shades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-28-16 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    322

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    link please, thank you
    whats troubling is that at every turn Obama and his cabinet have no clue what it going on until the media reports it. or so the story goes..
    NEVER MIND the actual scandal
    I'M VOTING FOR THE WHITE GUY THIS TIME

  10. #270
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,867
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by shades View Post
    whats troubling is that at every turn Obama and his cabinet have no clue what it going on until the media reports it. or so the story goes..
    NEVER MIND the actual scandal
    Like Sergeant Schultz, they "know nothing."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •