Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 361

Thread: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

  1. #211
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ah, and here you go again...wantonly extolling how it's perfectly okay for the government to actively enforce the law in an unequal manner against groups. How wonderfully progressive of you. Your only defense? Post 176, that doesn't actually defend it but offers up a non-explanation because it would only be relevant if the targetting of conservative groups was done organically...which wasn't the case because those groups were specifically SOUGHT OUT for additional screening.Pbrauer, a staunch defender of the governments right to unequally apply the law based on political beliefs of individuals.
    I am not. Because the IRS can't look at every return they use profiling and they have many red flags they use. For example if you claim a home office deduction there is a good chance you will be audited, the same is true if you claim social welfare.


  2. #212
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Yup. It's a bit like eating lobster: who was the first person to think this was a good idea?
    Probably a first cousin to whoever looked at a cow one day and decided if a baby cow could drink whatever came out, maybe he could too? Took nerve! :

    Good morning, Jack.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I am not. Because the IRS can't look at every return they use profiling and they have many red flags they use. For example if you claim a home office deduction there is a good chance you will be audited, the same is true if you claim social welfare.
    So according to you, the IRS profiled conservative groups and there is no need to profile liberal groups because they are all perfect upstanding groups. Like ACORN
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  4. #214
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I am not. Because the IRS can't look at every return they use profiling and they have many red flags they use. For example if you claim a home office deduction there is a good chance you will be audited, the same is true if you claim social welfare.
    Some-body's been watching Lawrence ODonneeeeeellllllllll .
    Taking talking points from the Mayor-for-life of the MSNBC block in the asylum is never a good idea.

  5. #215
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I am not. Because the IRS can't look at every return they use profiling and they have many red flags they use.
    And they profiled based on the percieved political views that a group may hold. Which is no better than a government agency profiling based on religious views a group or individual may hold, or what race the individual or group may be part of, or other such protected things.

  6. #216
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Probably a first cousin to whoever looked at a cow one day and decided if a baby cow could drink whatever came out, maybe he could too? Took nerve! :

    Good morning, Jack.
    I always wondered about stuff like that, Pol.

  7. #217
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I am not. Because the IRS can't look at every return they use profiling and
    they have many red flags they use
    . For example if you claim a home office deduction there is a good chance you will be audited, the same is true if you claim social welfare.
    What are the red flags for the Liberal groups, Pete?

  8. #218
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    I always wondered about stuff like that, Pol.
    :

    Good morning, Bubba!

  9. #219
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And they profiled based on the percieved political views that a group may hold. Which is no better than a government agency profiling based on religious views a group or individual may hold, or what race the individual or group may be part of, or other such protected things.
    Why did they give Karl Rove's American Crossroads GPS an exemption then?


  10. #220
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: IRS official Lois Lerner to take the Fifth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And they profiled based on the percieved political views that a group may hold. Which is no better than a government agency profiling based on religious views a group or individual may hold, or what race the individual or group may be part of, or other such protected things.
    There's a difference between politically insensitive and politically biased. The BOLO was clearly politically insensitive, but it there's no evidence to date that it produced politically biased investigations.

    If you look at the organizations that were approved, Conservative groups outnumbered Liberal groups by about 4:1. Furthermore, if all you do is examine word frequency and profile based on words which occur in at least 5 political groups at a rate 5 times greater than appear in groups applying at large you get these keywords.

    Tea: 22 Times more likely
    Patriots: 13 Times more likely
    Party: 12 Times more likely
    Ohio: 6 Times more likely
    Coalition: 6 Times more likely
    Fund: 5 Times more likely
    Action: 5 Times more likely.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1061842597

    Because conservative groups were disproportional represented, there's a very high bar needed to prove that conservatives were disproportionately targeted. Even if the evidence indicates that conservatives were in fact subject to more scrutiny, you'll have an even tougher time showing that conservatives were targeted due to political bias rather than because they were the principle violators.

    AND... even if you could prove all of that, the law still states that a 501(c)(4) group must be engaged EXCLUSIVELY in social welfare. The IRS changed this to primarily in the 1950s to allow other incidental actions that are not part of the primary mission (ie having a Christmas party). But in any case none of these groups, liberal or conservative, have any justification to exist. They are all 527's and should file as 527s.

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •